Pocket, No Holster

Started by Clynch, July-06-18 12:07

Previous topic - Next topic

coppertop

Quote from: Clynch on July-15-18 15:07
I see these pocket holsters with an extra pocket for spare ammo.  I've seen the value debated but it looks good and the tab helps keep the holster in the pocket when you draw.  I have the convertible 1 1/8.  Instead of a pouch for extra ammo, what about a holder for the 2nd cylinder?  Good idea?  Bad idea?

I think one downside to using the pouch for an extra cylinder would be the added weight.
A few of my pocket holsters have pouches, but I keep them empty.
Realistically, I do not think you'll run across a self-defense situation where you have the time to reload a NAA mini.
Maybe the Sidewinder or Ranger being the only exception.
Not saying it's a bad idea to have the extra rounds, just never saw the need.

billmeek

Rick at Desert Gun Leather will make that holster for you. 
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

Canoeal

This is an old picture that needs re-taken., but it shows my daily carry stuff. Notice the little pouch? that is my re-load for my BW. You don't need it on in the holster, as the pouch is easily pocketed without notice in any pocket but the one with your gun. Lots of people make nice little pouches, I think even Rick. I made my own. I do not have a second 22 mag cylinder, and I don't waste my time on 22lr, since it is not what I carry. Just me.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Ruger

I decided to try out a Sticky Holster for my Sidewinder.  I have always used a leather pocket holster that I made a couple of years ago.  It has a thumb push on the top to allow that section of holster to remain stiff to allow me to push the holster off when drawing my firearm.  So when I received the Sticky Holster and carried it around for the first few days, I was having trouble getting my Sidewinder out as easily as with my own holster. It just wasn't sticky enough to allow me to pull it free, and pushing down on it just collapsed the side and was no help.  The hammer also repeatedly got hung up in the inner seam.  I liked the idea and lower bulk of the holster, but it just wasn't working for me.

So, being the kind of guy I am, I knew I could make it work.  I glued a thin piece of kydex  over the seam that extended down into the holster below where the hammer would reach, and stitched a piece onto the outside of the side of the holster to give me some type of thumb push area that would not collapse when used.  I'm not sure how it will hold up, but it has the holster back in my pocket.  time will tell.

Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

Bigbird48

I'm the type of guy that when I pay good money for something I expect it to work, and if it doesn't it goes back. :D

Ruger

Quote from: Canoeal on July-16-18 14:07. . . . .  Notice the little pouch? that is my re-load for my BW. you don't need on in the holster as the pouch is easily pocketed without notice in any pocket but the one with your gun. lots of people make nice little pochews, I think even Rick. I made my own.  . . . . . .

I can see how that pouch would disappear in a pocket.  I have used a leather coin purse for my reloads and keep it in my left pocket with my wallet.  I use the same one whether my reloads are 22mag, .380, or 9mm.  It holds ten 22mags, and six .380 or 9mm.  Sometimes I pull it out when I retrieve my wallet; it just looks like a standard nerd coin purse.

Ruger

Quote from: Bigbird48 on July-17-18 06:07
I'm the type of guy that when I pay good money for something I expect it to work, and if it doesn't it goes back. :D

I can't argue with that in general, but somehow, like many, I have a drawer full of different holsters I have purchased.  I keep them because they somehow may change, when in close contact with the others, into something that I will like and use.  I guess.

I have the same problem with firearms.  I love to acquire them, but just can't get rid of any, even when they suck.  You know . . .they may get better if I keep them long enough.

Bigbird48

Yea holsters I have a ton of,got a cardboard box full of ones I made that didn't work out to good and made a better one then into the box it goes. Guns on the other hand altho hard to get rid of once I have them, if I can no longer shoot it ,like my 44 mag, I sell them and replace it with something I can shoot.Right now I want to sell one of my Ruger Black Hawks and replace it with an SR22 ;D We have a gun show coming up this weekend so I'm hopin to sell it there.

Clynch

I like the coin pouch idea.  If I felt the need to carry extra ammo that sounds like a nice way to go.  Thanks for the info on the sticky.  I "was" thinking about one of them.  I think I'm going to gp with the leather pocket holster.  I haven't hear anything negative about them.  Thanks for all the input!
Regards,
Charlie

Ruger

So I've been switching back and forth.  Yesterday was the Sticky Holster day.  Today I have my leather holster back in my pocket.  I love the familiar gentle "Squeak" it makes when I'm not careful to pull up my pant leg before I sit down; probably not good, but I still like the sound of it. 

smokeless joe

Quote from: Ruger on July-18-18 05:07
So I've been switching back and forth.  Yesterday was the Sticky Holster day.  Today I have my leather holster back in my pocket.  I love the familiar gentle "Squeak" it makes when I'm not careful to pull up my pant leg before I sit down; probably not good, but I still like the sound of it.
See I'm the opposite. I hear noises when I get up from sitting down. Kind of a groan. Old age I'm guessing  :-\

Bigbird48

Man you should hear my knee's when I stand up  :( :'(

smokeless joe

Quote from: Bigbird48 on July-18-18 20:07
Man you should hear my knee's when I stand up  :( :'(
Hey at least we can still ride right buddy?

Bigbird48

Ruger

Wife heard the squeak . . . so I have the Sticky in my pocket today.  I'm trying to like it, but it has nothing to say to me all day.  Guess I shouldn't have been pushing on it making it squeak at the dinner table last night.  It just sounded nice to me . . . .

smokeless joe

Quote from: Ruger on July-19-18 08:07
Wife heard the squeak . . . so I have the Sticky in my pocket today.  I'm trying to like it, but it has nothing to say to me all day.  Guess I shouldn't have been pushing on it making it squeak at the dinner table last night.  It just sounded nice to me . . . .
We like the familiarity of certain things

Bigbird48

autofull

946 views. someone asked a very interesting question huh.

top dog

Clynch,
It might be a pretty good idea but,in my humble opinion,would add additional bulk when you are trying to minimize the size.

Basically these minis are not designed for a speed load.

For me,I would stick with the extra ammo pouch,but that is me. 

Top Dog

Texduk3

I have a pocket holster with the ammo pouch for both of my mini's
one is a basic Desantis from NAA,
the other is from Ricks Desert Leather.
I prefer this style as the grip always sits up in the pocket.
"God and Guns"
"Lets Go Brandon"

caryg

Guess I am the odd one in the bunch. I started carrying my mini in 1980 when I went into the construction business. I was alone most of the time and wanted something for protection after welding on a loader bucket at night and flipping my welding helmet up and a diamond back rattler was in the bucket with me. Bought the mini the next day. Always carried in my front pocket without a holster, still do today.

top dog

CaryG,
Gosh,a rattler in the bucket loader with you!!!!  That is some might close space there!!!

Glad that all turned out well.

Just another good reason why these minis can come in so handy.

Top Dog

caryg

Yea but the ricochet would have been murder. :o

KEN AR

Clynch,
Rick does make the pocket style with the extra cylinder spot.  I saw one in the shop not to long ago.  Here is a similar one with the G10 speed loader in it.

Ken AZ is now KEN AR, moved in 2021 to the Natural State
Black Widow MAG/LR, Mini Master, Mini 1 5/8" Mag/LR
Desert Gun Leather holsters
https://desertgunleather.com/
RevisionCV.com Grips

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: KEN AZ on July-30-18 23:07
Clynch,
Rick does make the pocket style with the extra cylinder spot.  I saw one in the shop not to long ago.  Here is a similar one with the G10 speed loader in it.

You almost had it Ken   ;)

DS-10 Speed

https://ds10speed.wordpress.com

David's gear top notch.  Makes a day at the Range a lot easier.
Rick Jorgenson

KEN AR

Rick,
Surprised I did not see any photos of the pocket holster with the extra cylinder spot.  I know you do lots of one offs but I could not find a single photo of one.  I know I am not completely crazy, I do know I spotted one once!

I need to stop by and drop off some blocks for loading strip molds.

Ken
Ken AZ is now KEN AR, moved in 2021 to the Natural State
Black Widow MAG/LR, Mini Master, Mini 1 5/8" Mag/LR
Desert Gun Leather holsters
https://desertgunleather.com/
RevisionCV.com Grips

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: KEN AZ on July-31-18 19:07
Rick,
Surprised I did not see any photos of the pocket holster with the extra cylinder spot.  I know you do lots of one offs but I could not find a single photo of one.  I know I am not completely crazy, I do know I spotted one once!

I need to stop by and drop off some blocks for loading strip molds.

Ken

I did one a couple weeks ago, that was probably the one you saw.  I really don't get many requests for them but every once in a while one pops up!

I did quite a few  for Forum members a year ago or so.  Pictures are around somewhere! lol!

I'll look in my archives.
Rick Jorgenson

Ruger

So here is an additional modification I made to my Sticky Holster.  My Sidewinder just was too deep into the holster that made even the thumb push I added not as efficient as with my leather holster, so I stitched across the bottom portion restricting the depth.  I'm trying to like it since my main squeeze thought the squeak of my leather holster was a tell tale sign of me hiding something.  It does work much better.  I can draw it out easily without the holster slipping part way out of my pocket.  It still covers the hammer quite well.  I'm trying to like it, , , , , but still miss the squeak.

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: Ruger on August-01-18 07:08
So here is an additional modification I made to my Sticky Holster.  My Sidewinder just was too deep into the holster that made even the thumb push I added not as efficient as with my leather holster, so I stitched across the bottom portion restricting the depth.  I'm trying to like it since my main squeeze thought the squeak of my leather holster was a tell tale sign of me hiding something.  It does work much better.  I can draw it out easily without the holster slipping part way out of my pocket.  It still covers the hammer quite well.  I'm trying to like it, , , , , but still miss the squeak.

Good job on the modification!  But.....  "go with the squeak"! my friend lol!!  It has "character!  ;)

Use whatever you must to keep comfortable with the gun on you!  Thats the bottom line.
Rick Jorgenson

Ruger

Quote from: Rick_Jorgenson on August-01-18 07:08. . . . .    "go with the squeak"! my friend lol!!  It has "character!  ;) . . . . .  .

Please come for dinner and explain this to my lovely wife.  ;)

smokeless joe

Quote from: Rick_Jorgenson on August-01-18 07:08. . . . .    "go with the squeak"! my friend lol!!  It has "character!  ;) . . . . .  .

If there's crispy BACON I'll come and I'll be happy to explain ;)

Rick_Jorgenson

You will have to take a number!  I am "booked up" explaining to wives the benefits of their husbands buying holsters! lol!!  ::)
Rick Jorgenson

Bigbird48

Would you use the leather holster without the squeak? ???You can always put a little oil or leather conditioner at the point of squeak and quite it down a little  ;D

Honky Tonk Man

Ruger, I've been married for 47 years.  My wife is so used to squeaks and other noises coming from my pants; she no longer bats an eye if I sit down too fast, or even laugh too hard. 
Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

Ruger

Quote from: Bigbird48 on August-02-18 07:08
Would you use the leather holster without the squeak? ???You can always put a little oil or leather conditioner at the point of squeak and quite it down a little  ;D

It is not the leather issue, it is the quietness of the Sticky holster.  The Sticky works OK with the mods I made, but that ol' squeak my leather would make in the afternoon when sitting at my desk and nobody was around.  A single finger in the right place; Squeak, squeak, squeak. ;)