Charter Arms(original) Pathfinder .22lr?

Started by elkslayer, February-07-12 21:02

Previous topic - Next topic

elkslayer

Have any of you guys played with the old Charter Arms Pathfinder?  If so, would like you input...  Just got one in at work and it has to be a 99% condition gun.  It has a 6" barrel and at $145 it is tempting.  But if they aren't accurate...

Jim

bill_deshivs

louiethelump

Elkslayer:

If you don't buy that, and they will ship, I will buy it.

Louie
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

cedarview kid

I LOVE my older-style Charter Arms Pathfinder. Some of my .22LR revolvers have come and gone. The Pathfinder stays. When I go plinking, I grab it for fun shooting.

KEEPER. I would take it for $145 without thought. Wish mine had a six-inch barrel.

elkslayer

Thanks so much, gentlemen!!!  Took a look at it again today and couldn't find any blueing wear, nor a scratch.  Just now waiting for the paperwork to get through so I can buy it.  Love my job...we can buy used guns we get in at cost without it ever seeing the shelf.

Thanks,

Jim

louiethelump

Let us know if you decide to sell it some time in the future.  The 6" one is hard to find.  You usually see 3".

Louie
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

cedarview kid

Yup, mine has a 3-inch barrel. Even so, it's still pretty accurate and a joy to shoot. You won't be disappointed--and if you are, there are probably at least three of us here (including me) who will pay what you paid, including shipping, to have you send it to us!

elkslayer

Thanks guys!  Just found out that the gun was made in 1982.  According to the old guy who traded it in, he only used it to hunt grouse with shotshells...  No idea how he did that and yet not put a single scratch in the gun?

Jim

cedarview kid

Congrats, Jim. I love old guns that have been taken care of. I'm very jealous. Post a pic if you can, so we can get even more jealous.

elkslayer

As soon as I get it home, I will post pics, Collector!  

Jim

airplinker

Sounds like a great buy. Love the older ones.

elkslayer

Needless to say, I am really looking forward to going out Saturday to put this through her paces!

Jim

cedarview kid

Wow, that's very nice. I've had had two of these older Charter Arms Pathfinders and there seems to be two different ones. Yours looks like the larger frame .22Magnum that I once sold in favor of keeping the .22LR one, which has much narrower grips.

But you're right--this one seems to be in pristine condition. Well done!

elkslayer

Thanks, Collector!

Jim

pietro

My early Charter is a 3" Pathfinder in .22 Mag-only, and shows grouse-head accuracy.

ANY gun can stay pristine, even if hunted with, with a little care not to actually bust brush with the gun. (LOL)

AFAIK, all Charters, old/new, and of whatever caliber, have the same size gripframe - which makes the grips interchangeable.

I've tried the BullDog-type grips on my 3" Pathfinder on both a new Pathfinder Dual Cylinder and a .44 BullDog Pug (& vice-versa) - ending up with a set of 70's walnut large Target gripd on my new Dual Cylinder Target Pathfinder, ILO the issue rubber bumpers.  

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

cedarview kid

I like the old ones. But I just don't care much for the new ones.

pietro

Owning/shooting both, I can say that the only real difference (besides stainless steel in the new Pathfinders) is the barrel underlug, which DOES make the aim somewhat steadier, if not the gun a tad heavier.

I've toyed with the idea of removing the underlug, but haven't, since my Dual Cylinder is a prototype, provided to me by CA prexy Nick Ecker about 6 mos prior to CA offering the model as a cataloged item - it has a special SN, of the type gun companies typically reserve for presentation guns, which surprised me greatly, when I received it as a warranty replacement for a troublesome new .22 Mag-only 4" Pathfinder.

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent