Pug night sight life span

Started by RICKS PLACE, July-11-18 16:07

Previous topic - Next topic

RICKS PLACE

I have looked and can't find any posting on the expected life time of the Pug night sight.  While I am not a big fan of night sights, I have a chance to pick one up on a Pug.  Does NAA give any indication of the expected life time of one?  I have one on a J frame Smith, it is about 8-9 years old, getting very dim.  Wondering if that is still a general time limit?

bill_deshivs

All of them are 10 years or less.

burncycle

My insert fell out after about a year, but a bit of whiteout and clear nail polish fixed it up!

Warthog

Haven't seen mine dull any nor has it popped out. 8)

It isn't very old, about a year, ported PUG has been a nice gun for me so far with tritium sight.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Uncle Fatso

Some night sights have a manufacture date on them. I don't know if the ones NAA use are among those, though.

autofull

my pugs are all first year ones with tritium. all still glow great. i bought the t model as that was what i could find.

cfsharry

I've had two tritium watches. One lasted 10 years the other still glows dimly after 12 yrs.

RICKS PLACE

Thanks for the info, simply confirmed what I suspected re time they last.   As I buy my guns with the intent of handing them down to my grand kids, will probably stick with standard sights.  With the dumb-a** politicians coming up with new and dumber laws daily, they might decide night sights are unfair to criminals and ban them.  Oops! guess I slipped into the political page, sorry. 

bearcatter

Radium was a lot brighter than tritium, but you can't get radium anything now. It was deadly stuff in some cases. It was banned in the Sixties. I had a radium dial alarm clock when I was a kid. The stuff could supposedly glow a century or more, if the paint binder that held it stood up that long. From what I've read though, it often started flaking in 10-15 years.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport