Started by Bigbird48, July-08-18 22:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbird48

Sandy's watching us as always :)

Uncle_Lee

You didn't know that?
Always.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

smokeless joe

smokeless joe

Ruger

Yup . . Good Read . . .one that makes me feel well taken care of . . .
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

theysayimnotme

Not completely "made in USA". Look at the Guardian magazines.

heyjoe

It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

bearcatter

Quote from: ikoiko on July-09-18 15:07
Quote from: heyjoe on July-09-18 14:07
32 acp mini

X2

Quote from: theysayimnotme on July-09-18 14:07
Not completely "made in USA". Look at the Guardian magazines.

.22LR Guardian, too!

Mec-Gar is an excellent maker of magazines. I am kinda glad the MIM stuff is no longer made by Taurus, though I'm sure it was well overseen. Their general reputation doesn't include excellence....:(
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

burncycle

Folding NAA carbine to take over the pack-rifle / crickett rifle / rascal rifle / Chiappa "Little Badger" rifle / bronco rifle / survival game getter market ;)

Uncle_Lee

God, Country, & Flag

kc

Quote from: burncycle on July-10-18 18:07
Folding NAA carbine to take over the pack-rifle / crickett rifle / rascal rifle / Chiappa "Little Badger" rifle / bronco rifle / survival game getter market ;)

That gets my vote!

riadat

I think a 2 shot derringer is a nice idea but bond arms is too heavy.

I think a 2 shot derringer in 38 would be a great idea if someone came along and made it to go bang twice and weight 12 ounces or less as well as being small.

Bond arms weigh too *** much.

mrmurl

I would like very much to see one of these on the market.  I would be in line for one of them.
A gun is like a parachute; if you need it and don't have it, you probably won't need it again.

PaducahMichael

Quote from: mrmurl on July-11-18 07:07

I would like very much to see one of these on the market.  I would be in line for one of them.

Speaking of niche markets, I think that niche is already covered by Chiappa, Henry et al.

I'd rather see NAA continue to focus on their specialty and continue to produce high quality products.

"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."

billmeek

I see several people that would like to have a NAA rifle and went back to read a few prior threads on the idea.  What I haven't seen is anyone stating what they would be willing to pay for such a firearm. 
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

bearcatter

On the Soapbox, I didn't realize the comments were moderated and delayed. When I didn't see mine, I tried to redo it. Oops.....I've asked that all but the first be removed.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

burncycle

Quote from: PaducahMichael on July-11-18 08:07
Quote from: mrmurl on July-11-18 07:07

Speaking of niche markets, I think that niche is already covered by Chiappa, Henry et al.

I'd rather see NAA continue to focus on their specialty and continue to produce high quality products.

Just the opposite. None of them can provide 5 ready-rounds of .22LR (much less .22 Magnum) in a more compact package, they're all single shot or (in the case of the AR7) much bigger.

Who said it wouldn't be a high quality product?  NAA is no stranger to innovation, and continue to provide an interesting and exciting variety of their products.

QuoteI see several people that would like to have a NAA rifle and went back to read a few prior threads on the idea.  What I haven't seen is anyone stating what they would be willing to pay for such a firearm. 

It is what it is. Without sacrificing quality, I wouldn't mind paying what it takes for the 16" barrel and folding or takedown stock on something like a mini-magnum frame.  So yeah it may be in the 400-500 range -- but you know how hard to find some of the limited run NAA firearms can be, and this would probably be similar -- look at how much an original ranger is going for on gunbroker now.

Canoeal

and if to make it quality, it comes in at $1000?
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

PaducahMichael

OK, here's what I mean.

When I started working for McDonald's while in college, the menu was pretty simple. Hamburger, cheeseburger, fries and 3 choices of soda (Coke, root beer, orange). McDonald's was so fast on service we often had the order in front of the customer before he could get his money out of his pocket. BTW, 2 burgers, a french fry and small soda was .85 when I started back in 1970.  And I remember going to classes to learn how to make Egg McMuffins. Yes.

Nowadays, you'd need three pages to list the menu. Service is slower - a lot slower - and sometimes they bring your order out to the table where you are impatiently starving and eating the wrapper off your straw. Anyway, my point is that the level of service necessarily slowed down, and instead of a few excellent products, McDonald's went to a boatload of mostly mediocre stuff. O course prices are higher, but it's been 48 years (Dear God!) since I sold my first hamburger. (1/10th of a pound, if you ever wondered.) The Egg McMuffin that started out selling for .55 is now about $3.00.. But other than that, it's pretty much the same. And I still love 'em!

Moral of the story : It is better to do a few things exceptionally well than a lot of things in a mediocre fashion.
"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."

Bigbird48

So very true :D
Quote from: PaducahMichael on July-11-18 21:07
OK, here's what I mean.

When I started working for McDonald's while in college, the menu was pretty simple. Hamburger, cheeseburger, fries and 3 choices of soda (Coke, root beer, orange). McDonald's was so fast on service we often had the order in front of the customer before he could get his money out of his pocket. BTW, 2 burgers, a french fry and small soda was .85 when I started back in 1970.  And I remember going to classes to learn how to make Egg McMuffins. Yes.

Nowadays, you'd need three pages to list the menu. Service is slower - a lot slower - and sometimes they bring your order out to the table where you are impatiently starving and eating the wrapper off your straw. Anyway, my point is that the level of service necessarily slowed down, and instead of a few excellent products, McDonald's went to a boatload of mostly mediocre stuff. O course prices are higher, but it's been 48 years (Dear God!) since I sold my first hamburger. (1/10th of a pound, if you ever wondered.) The Egg McMuffin that started out selling for .55 is now about $3.00.. But other than that, it's pretty much the same. And I still love 'em!

Moral of the story : It is better to do a few things exceptionally well than a lot of things in a mediocre fashion.

smokeless joe

I agree as well

Ruger

And I recently saw reported that in a nationwide poll, McD's came in 15th out of 15.  'Course, the poll could have been by the same guys that released the polling numbers during the 2016 Presidential campaign. . . .

bearcatter

There's a place here that opened in 1915 which only has hotdogs, fries, potato chips, and maybe six choices of drink. A short choice of dog toppings, but their own "secret" recipe makes the best chili dog in town. In 1915 a hot dog was a nickel. Now $1.50.

Ruger

Quote from: bearcatter on July-12-18 09:07There's a place here that opened in 1915 which only has hotdogs,  . . . . . . .  In 1915 a hot dog was a nickel. Now $1.50.

With calculations made using the average inflationary rate over the time period from 1915 to 2018, the inflated price would be $1.25.  See, that darn $15 minimum wage demand added that extra $0.25!

burncycle

QuoteMoral of the story : It is better to do a few things exceptionally well than a lot of things in a mediocre fashion.

Yeah man, I get what you're saying, and don't disagree with ya.

Quote from: Canoeal on July-11-18 20:07
and if to make it quality, it comes in at $1000?

What do you want me to tell you?  There are some NAA firearms that go for well over $1,000 right now, if you can find them.  They'll sell for what the market will bear, and NAA is no stranger to limited runs and experimenting -- after all, look at the amazing variety of NAA revolvers that are out there, and these are variations what is essentially the same theme.  People like them, people collect them.  They could have called it quits with the mini and mini mag and just been done with it, you know "do one thing well" but look at some of the incredible things they've come up with.

Instead of encouraging innovation, the mentality of some here seems to be "well, they can't make a carbine you see, because to do so would somehow mean sacrificing quality" when that can't be further from the truth.   I have enormous faith that should NAA decide to develop a pack rifle, the quality would be impressive since the firearm itself, the core that it's based on, has already been developed.  It's a barrel change, and a folding (or takedown) stock so you'd have to develop an interface for that.  While neither of those are problem free (a 16" barrel has a lot of leverage on the attachment area, and depending on the shape may have flex issues - maybe a mini-master profile shroud for rigidity), but they're not high risk either compared to developing the platform itself.

Now, a better argument for those who are opposed to it is simply this; would enough people want one in general to be worth it for a business standpoint?  I couldn't tell you.  I do know that after seeing TeddyBearRat's experiment (have posted on other forums as well) that I've seen a plethora of people who loved the idea as it fills a niche that other similar pack rifles simply don't quite get right.

If they were made, and just didn't work out and ended up being a limited run, I suppose you'll almost certainly see them popping up on gunbroker for over $1,000... and someone out there who collects them will pay it to own what, in that case, has become a rare piece of history.

billmeek

If I knew up front that it was a limited number of one-time run of factory NAA rifles not to be produced again, I'd pay a grand for one. If it wasn't a one-time run, I'd still buy one in the sub $700 range.

The only changes I'd like on a rifle, besides the barrel length and stock, would be drilled and tapped for an optic mount and hopefully a lighter trigger.  My eyes don't work well with iron sights anymore so I use either a red-dot or scope on rifles and the stock NAA trigger is a bit heavy for longer range shooting. 
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

Canoeal

Burncycle, I was just asking the question, as it would need to be developed from scratch. To do so, one would need to know what cost would have to come under, and what profit there is. You would also want to know of the long term salability of such a venture. I was not trying to be a smarta$$., Limited runs are not usually profitable, as the cost of design and manufacture is amortised over a smaller number of guns, and the issues w/ the new one will need further costs to repair any failings. I am not saying it could not be done, but rather does the business model say it is likely to be profitable or not?

Bill you gave answer as to what you would be willing to pay. That is an answer to the question that could be part of the evaluation of such a project....price and anticipated salles...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Uncle_Lee

Put me down for one top limit - $1000.00.
God, Country, & Flag

bearcatter

How about just a threaded muzzle mini, with a screw on extension barrel?...... 8)