First Guardian 32 range trip

Started by bearcatter, May-05-18 12:05

Previous topic - Next topic

bearcatter

I only put 50 rounds through the Guardian. Half a box of Aguila, then half a box of Remington. Overall, it did well.

I had one fail to feed on the 47th shot, and it wedged at an angle. I just had to give the slide a shove to chamber it. No other issues; am I just lucky? I don't think this gun will need any real break-in. I noticed with the Remington cartridges, the edge of the case felt pretty sharp. That may have contributed to the misfeed. The Aguila was smoother running a finger across the edge from bullet to case. I also noticed that, with both brands, the forward third of each fired case was pretty scorched. I guess that's normal, I haven't had a centerfire semi-auto for years, just revolvers.

I only had two of the often mentioned last round stovepipe ejections, out of eight mag loads. The other six ejected okay.

Accuracy was better than I expected for the first session. The sights aren't as bad as they look, but still pretty bad. At 25 feet, I kept most rounds in the 5 inch black of my Caldwell Orange Peel targets. Four or five of each six round mag. Most of the others were still on the paper, about 8 inches. Three of the fifty went wide. At this point, I'd feel safer to "triple-tap" a bad guy. Not sure what distance the sights are made for, but 25 feet seemed about right.

The gun itself recoiled pretty hard, I'd compare it to my SP101 shooting 125 gr .38. I'm that much more satisfied that I didn't go for the .380. The trigger left my finger print a little sore after fifty rounds. This is not a range fun gun, for sure, but I'm satisfied it's a good carry gun.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

RogueTS1

The less than great sights issue is easily remedied by the NAA Custom Shop.  8)

Makes a world of difference.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Gog

I'd say that's very acceptable accuracy for 25ft!
Nice write up!

bearcatter

Thanks, Gog. I'd be happier with every shot in the black !

RogueTS1 - The standard sights are okay for carry. Those customs look nice, and I know they work a lot better, but snag easier.

Captcha #11 !!
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

linux_author

tks for the range report! glad you had a good time!

so, no problems with the pinky extension mag? (i'm assuming the flate plate was fine)

yep, the LRSP (last-round stovepipe) is a 'feature,' but one i wish was either absent or always present

my faith was restored in my Guardian .32 ACP after its trip back to the mothership... i may have another go-round with the wood grips, but this time will use blue loctite (the left side worked loose during my last range session despite a good tight affix)

i like the Guardian a lot more with the 10-round extension - make testing at the range less painful

and if i'm going to shoot more than a box of 50, i definitely take some tape or a heavy duty bandaid for my trigger finger

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

bearcatter

I hadn't thought to mention the pinky (actually ring finger !) extension. I didn't notice a major difference at first, but later on as my hand got tired it definitely helped. I've gotten a pair to replace my two flat bottoms.

Hey, this makes only 13 posts, and no Captcha. Thank you.

RogueTS1

Quote from: bearcatter on May-07-18 10:05
Thanks, Gog. I'd be happier with every shot in the black !

RogueTS1 - The standard sights are okay for carry. Those customs look nice, and I know they work a lot better, but snag easier.

Captcha #11 !!

They don't snag when this thing is carried in a proper holster. (pocket or otherwise) That is why we have Rick and his Desert Leather shop.  ;D
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Warthog

I am happy with my 32 ACP Guardian too.  Glad you like yours too.  I put the hardwood grips on mine, they do make it wider so the pocket carry is not as easy but I love them, they are Kingwood.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Mr. October

Quote from: linux_author on May-08-18 05:05
tks for the range report! glad you had a good time!

so, no problems with the pinky extension mag? (i'm assuming the flate plate was fine)

yep, the LRSP (last-round stovepipe) is a 'feature,' but one i wish was either absent or always present

my faith was restored in my Guardian .32 ACP after its trip back to the mothership... i may have another go-round with the wood grips, but this time will use blue loctite (the left side worked loose during my last range session despite a good tight affix)

i like the Guardian a lot more with the 10-round extension - make testing at the range less painful

and if i'm going to shoot more than a box of 50, i definitely take some tape or a heavy duty bandaid for my trigger finger

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

This is a necessity as far as I'm concerned. I have some rubberized athletic tape I use. Not that I'm shooting the gun extensively but trying to work out a few issues. I'm thinking it may need a trip home for a tune up.

Canoeal

If you send it back, the attention given it will definitely make it shoot much better... My BW does...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke