Stone wash a cylinder?

Started by ralphwolf, August-19-18 12:08

Previous topic - Next topic

ralphwolf

I've wanted to get a different finish on my solid, no-flutes cylinders since I got the gun (Black Widow w/conversion cyl.). I checked out Blackening of every flavor, paints of every type. Nothing really satisfactory.

Then I realized that the knives I've stone washed pretty much demo'ed a fine finish for a cylinder! Subtle look, permanent, cheap, easy...
BUT I wonder if duct-taping the cyl. faces to protect them will be enough. What about the sharp edges at the cyl. faces? Sure didn't seem to round the knife blades corners.

If someone asked me I'd say " Probably won't be an issue, from my experience". But like any prudent person, I wouldn't necessarily trust me. That's why I'm asking you guys who may know better'n me for your opinions or advice. Thanks.

smokeless joe

I have no idea if it would be an issue or not but now I'm curious to see where this goes and I sure would like to se a finished product.

Welcome to the forum ralphwolf. Can't remember if I've said hello before. Getting a bad case of CRS  :(

adp3

I would think that you'd run into problems with peening on the cylinder bolt notches on the cylinder sides. They aren't wide to start with. I suppose you could fill them with putty, epoxy or something and tape over them. You could possibly use acid to "etch" the cylinder. If it were me I'd probably ship the cylinder to NAA for the "Wasp" treatment. I'm too old to be much of a risk taker.

Best Regards,
ADP3
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt,"
-Mark Twain

Ruger

Hey . . . ralphwolf . . . WELCOME . . to the Forum!  Great to have you up front on the firing line! Don't be shy, reload and come back often!
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.