Which models can be purchased/transferred in California?

Started by HamsterDance, August-03-18 11:08

Previous topic - Next topic

HamsterDance

Hi everyone!
I'm looking to get my first gun, and I really like the Sidewinders with the 4 inch barrel. I called a local gun store to ask about a listing I saw, and he said that only the NAA-22MS / Stainless Steel and NAA-22LR / Stainless Steel with 1.125" barrels are legally able to be sold in CA. This is based off of info at https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certguns

I am so bummed! Any tips on the best place to get my hands on a legal NAA gun? Does it literally have to be Stainless Steel, or can it be gold plated? Is it just those two or could a gun place in CA be selling a grandfathered model that is different?

Thank you

Jessica Jarvis

Those are the only two models that are submitted to the DOJ,  however any of our guns with a 4" barrel or longer is legal in CA.

HamsterDance

Thanks so much for the feedback. So if I want one with a barrel under 4 inches, I'd have two get one of the two submitted to the DOJ, but if I get one with a 4 inch or longer barrel then they all are legal in California? 

OLD and GRUMPY

These guys have some basic short barrel mini in the case  as of a few months ago.

Ammo Brothers
208 Yelp reviews
780 S Rochester, Ontario  Ca· (909) 937-6700
Open until 8 PM           Off the 15 at 4th?

Maby not what you want but the short magnum is a B*tch.

This may change city by city.   F!!  Jerry Brown.

http://www.ammobros.com/
Death before Decaf !!!!!

OLD and GRUMPY

Death before Decaf !!!!!

OLD and GRUMPY

PS!--- I forgot.

Do not want to be rude!!   

Welcome. Post Picks.  We have a lot of freedom on this forum you wont find on others.  Speak up.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

HamsterDance

Thanks for the info and the welcome. I was wondering, what do you mean by "the short magnum is a B*tch"? 😂

Warthog

Welcome HamsterDance!!!

I love watching Hamster Cartoons, they make me laugh.....

Jessica is the person who works at NAA so she would know, as would Old&Grumpy as he is a California Resident. :)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

HamsterDance

Awesome. I have always liked shooting 22 revolvers, and I also want to get a CCW for when I travel to less desirable places for work. All the review videos everyone seems to have expectations of these guns exceeded with a smile. I didn't realize that my Firearm Safety Certificate wasn't housed online, so now the only way to retrieve it is if I remember the name of whoever gave it. The laws here are crazy and make no sense.

theysayimnotme

Any NAA pistols that are currently legally owned in the DPRK can be sold in private party transfers. You may be able to find ones that are not on the approved list on consignment or from private owners at gun shows. I have bought a .22 short, a Freedom Arms Mini, a Black Widow & a .32 Guardian on consignment sales.

Surculus

Quote from: HamsterDance on August-03-18 16:08
Thanks so much for the feedback. So if I want one with a barrel under 4 inches, I'd have two get one of the two submitted to the DOJ, but if I get one with a 4 inch or longer barrel then they all are legal in California?

Yes. Fortunately, a few years after the new "approved" list was instituted, the CAS folks & competition target shooters got an exemption pushed thru so that *single action* manually-loaded handguns with barrels longer than 4" were exempt. This is why only the two [22lr 1.25" and 22WMR 1.5" (NB: I might have those barrel lengths misremembered)] standard version mini revolvers that were submitted to the list before it got closed and the Mini-Master, etc. w/ long 4" barrels are legal for new sales behind the Granola Curtain...

No Pugs, no BW's. Would love to know if NAA could convert my standard 22WMR to the BW config if I sent it home to Provo: PRK law says you "can't convert a lawful handgun to an illegal configuration," but I'd love to see them try to take me to court for making the barrel *longer*!  ;D

theysayimnotme

The problem is not the "approved list". The short barreled models are the ones NAA has paid to have tested & approved. They could have any of the other models tested & approved if they thought the volume of sales warranted it. Apparently they don't.
Where have you found it says that you can't have a pistol converted? For example you can convert both revolvers & semi-autos to other calibers & barrel lengths. I've never seen anything that prohibits anything other than the Thompson barrels for shot cartridges.

lefty dude

The Companion's can be sent right to your door.

pietro

Quote from: theysayimnotme on August-22-18 00:08

Where have you found it says that you can't have a pistol converted? For example you can convert both revolvers & semi-autos to other calibers & barrel lengths.

FWIW

Mini barrels are threaded into the frame with very fine threads, secured with epoxy.

( I've removed a few to convert them to folding stock Bicycle Rifles).

If anyone can secure a Mini barrel in the length they like/want, it's easy enough to swap out the barrels at home.

Just secure the cylinder frame firmly in a padded vise with the bbl extending outside the vise jaws, heat the front of the cylinder frame slightly (around the bbl threads) to melt the epoxy, then turn the old bbl out of the cylinder frame (I padded the barrel with some 1/8" thick aluminum slabs where I clamped on with a set of vise grip pliers)

I installed a longer barrel (I used turned down, shortened & threaded 18" stainless Ruger 10/22 donor barrels purchased online, properly flattened on the bottom rear end for cylinder pin removal, with some slow-curing epoxy.

Since my barrel's had no open/iron sights after turning down ( I added sights after the barrel/cylinder clearance was finalized), the slow-curing epoxy allowed time for setting barrel/cylinder clearance, before the epoxy cured.

Setting the barrel/cylinder clearance consists of running the new barrel into the cylinder frame, with the cylinder installed, down tight against a .003" thick (waxed) automotive valve adjustment gauge ($11), placed across the cylinder face at whatever chamber mouth was aligned with the bore, then the gauge removed & the cylinder rotated to double check the clearance all around the cylinder face.

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

zburkett

The obvious solution is move to a civilized place the believes in the Constitution and problem solved.

Canoeal

You need to be careful using epoxy. Most versions do not stand up to heat well. I would consider Permatex threadlocker  next time...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke