What do you *actually* spend on one gun?

Started by bearcatter, August-16-18 11:08

Previous topic - Next topic

bearcatter

I was looking over receipts connected to my Guardian 32. I've spent close to the price of the gun on parts and accessories. I've spent close to the price of the gun on ammo for it. It's pretty much the same with every gun. It doesn't take many holsters, magazines, parts, and ammo to turn a $375 gun into a $900 investment. Something to think about when that "next gun" is winking at you from the display case........:)
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

WECSOG

I've bought guns because I had a holster or ammo for it!  ;D
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

billmeek

I bought a Smith and Wesson Victory because I caught it on sale and sort of wanted one.  Before it ever arrived, I went ahead and bought a trigger upgrade that was only around $40.  The day I received it, I shot 20 or so rounds, upgraded the trigger, shot another 80, then came home and bought upgrades for it that put the total cost well over a grand: Tandom Cross Hive grip,  aforementioned Tandom Cross match trigger, Tandom Cross Halo charging handle, Volquartsen rail, Vortex Venom Red dot, Volquartsen I-Fluted stainless steel barrel with compensator, Volquartsen Edge extractor...

Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

smokeless joe

linux_author

once you start adding in different calibers, cost can really ratchet up... that's why i like have range toys in rimfire and the more popular calibers

it's nice that NAA offers dual-cylinder versions of its revolvers...

perhaps one of the most versatile revolvers though, could be Ruger's .327 Federal?  five different types of ammo can be used

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

miker

Then there's them big honkers that shoot .410, 45 Long Colt, 45 ACP, 45 Auto-Rim, and I think one more.

I'm in one of those stages where you try to get rid of a few and also cut down on how many calibers.

miker

Honky Tonk Man

Yep, miker, you must be talking about Bond Arms.  They offer 20 different barrels in 25 calibers.  Not to mention more than a dozen grips, many holsters, knives, sheaths, T-shirts, mugs, etc., etc.  I just bought one.  Already have 4 different .410 loads and two different .45 loads.  I'm at the top of a slippery slope.  I see it coming.  Coming here for support is a lost cause.  Woe is me. 

On the brighter side; I'm taking it out to the woods next week and can't wait to blow stuff up. 
Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

Honky Tonk Man

Top Dog talked me into it.  Anyway, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

Canoeal

"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

WECSOG

Quote from: linux_author on August-17-18 08:08
once you start adding in different calibers, cost can really ratchet up... that's why i like have range toys in rimfire and the more popular calibers

it's nice that NAA offers dual-cylinder versions of its revolvers...

perhaps one of the most versatile revolvers though, could be Ruger's .327 Federal?  five different types of ammo can be used

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
Yep. I have a Single-Seven in .327 FM, and love it.
Also have a Redhawk in .45 Colt and (with moon clips) .45 ACP. It shoots .45 Colt great, and I've been shooting .45 Winchester Mag in it with the clips, and it shoots those great too. As for .45 ACP, well, it shoots them. 'Nuff said about that.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

Canoeal

For a while, I was sort of looking for the old Charter Arms Patriot in 327 fm. Now I will have to put all purchases of 'new' guns on the shelf for a while...Two surgeries blew the whole budget out of whack. That and my wife has a shoulder replacement in October...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

pietro

I also respectfully decline to answer, as my answer may cause my death by wife......  :D

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

franco22

QuoteI've bought guns because I had a holster or ammo for it!  ;D

I just bought a Taurus Gaucho because I had some 45lc ammunition laying around. The like new condition and $239 price tag certainly made it easy for me to rationalize the purchase.

KEN AR

NO comment on the REAL cost of a gun...Reloading dies, bullet molds, Fancy leather, custom parts....

I do have a Ruger SP101 3" in 327 Federal, yep reason I got it was shoot the short stuff or go full lenght 327.

My Smith Governor shoots 410, 45LC, 45 Scholfield, 45 Cowboy(a long colt trimmed to ACP length) and the 45 ACP in moon clips.
The Smith will be my SHTF sidearm with a Black Widow in the pocket. 
Ken AZ is now KEN AR, moved in 2021 to the Natural State
Black Widow MAG/LR, Mini Master, Mini 1 5/8" Mag/LR
Desert Gun Leather holsters
https://desertgunleather.com/
RevisionCV.com Grips

Rick_Jorgenson

You should spend at least as much on Gun Leather as you do the Gun!  ::)

Or.... If your a real "Fashionista" ..... A Holster in every color and each carry style!  ::)

And.... Gunbelts to match.  Yep, thats how it should be...

I think that is the "Rule of Thumb"

I heard it somewhere.... don't recall where.... probably a magazine article.... or on t.v. .... or the voices in my head!.... :o

No wonder wives hate me.  ;D  heheheheh!
Rick Jorgenson

Uncle_Lee

Quote from: franco22 on August-18-18 19:08
QuoteI've bought guns because I had a holster or ammo for it!  ;D

I just bought a Taurus Gaucho because I had some 45lc ammunition laying around. The like new condition and $239 price tag certainly made it easy for me to rationalize the purchase.

After you shoot up all your ammo let me know. If you want to sell it. I might just buy it from you.
I have some 45 Colt ammo laying around. Like a little over 1200 rounds of reloads that I didn't shoot up before moving to town.
I have been looking for a cheap low priced single action 45 Colt.
I don't want a new one, just one to shoot up the ammo then sell.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Old-Duckman

I hear ya but I try to restrain myself and usually am able to do so to a great extent...usually.

Optics ("glass" as the photography crowd calls their assortment of lenses) can be a major exception. But, just as with a photographer who can use their "glass" on multiple camera bodies we can use ours on multiple firearms so we can justify optics purchases with that kind of logic.

One thing I have been trying to do of late is limit my calibers and thus ammo needed to feed the beasts.
Anymore I try to stick with 9mm, .22, .45 ACP, .308 and .357 SIG. I've got many other firearms that use various and sundry calibers but for new purchases I TRY to stick to the calibers listed. That is one way I try to keep the cost of any individual firearm to basically the cost of gun alone. As my dealer asked me once "how much are you really gonna shoot it ?.....He had a point !

WECSOG

I occasionally come across a bit of cheap or free .380 ammo, just a few rounds here and there. Awhile back I came into a couldn't-pass-it-up type of deal on .380 dies, bullet mold, and who knows how many cases. I also already had some cases I picked up at various shooting ranges. It was time I had a .380, so I bought a so-chambered PA-63. I was actually leaning toward a Hi Point, but the PP-derived PA-63 is so much cooler.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

KEN AR

Uncle Lee,
I have a Taurus Thunderbolt, a copy of the Colt Lightning Pump action rifle.  It is the old shooting gallery style of pump action.

It holds as I recall 15 rounds and you can hold the trigger back and it will fire as fast as you can rack the slide back and forth.

Should burn up that 1200 rounds pretty quick! 

It is a great Cowboy Action gun when they have a stage set up for just dumping all rounds on a single steel plate.
RevisionCV.com Grips

Uncle_Lee

The Thunderbolt is nice. I had one for a very short time.
I have looked and can't find a picture of it in my files. I bought it right before we had to move to town. Shot it 10 rounds and sold it dirty. Didn't even clean it.

I found the picture of it laying on the table at the auction where all my stuff left my life.

It is the one on the left.
God, Country, & Flag

KEN AR

I'm like you I do not have a single photo of mine on this computer.  I wonder what the wood on them actually looks like.  They use such a dark, thick goo for a finish you wonder if there is any grain in the wood.

It is pretty accurate but I found you had to use full power loads to even try to get the brass to expand enough to seal the chamber.

It can make some dirty brass with blow by using Cowboy loads and you had better have on the full coverage safety glass to cover your eyes.  First time I shot it I was lucky I had them on and not just my regular prescription every day glasses.

It might make a fun Pig gun.

RevisionCV.com Grips

bleak_window

With foots loose and fatted wallet I used to descend on gun shows with about $700.  I only spent it all once.

Uncle_Lee

That all day Saturday auction was nothing but my "stuff".
It did look like a gun show.
God, Country, & Flag

MR_22

The most I've spent on any single gun was my Desert Eagle Mark XIX in .50AE. In addition to the gun being the most expensive I've ever purchased (and I got a really good deal on it used), I added the 10-incn .50AE barrel and the 6-inch .44-Magnum barrel conversion kit with 2 magazines.

It's one beast of a gun, but it also comes with one beast of a price.

MR_22

Quote from: WECSOG on August-17-18 19:08
Quote from: linux_author on August-17-18 08:08

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

I'm jealous. I saw a nice used Ruger Single-Seven in .327-Magnum at my local gun store, maybe 6 months ago, and I'm still kicking myself for not buying it. I was looking to add to my Taurus revolver collection at the time and didn't "need" another Ruger revolver, and it was kind of pricey, and it was there for over a week. It's not like I didn't have ample chance to get it.

But by the time I decided I needed it, somebody had beaten me to it. It would have been a nice sister to my Taurus .327-Magnum revolver. Ah well. I'm sure we all have a list of those "missed opportunities" when it comes to guns. I just added this one to the long list.

WECSOG

Quote from: MR_22 on August-25-18 09:08
Quote from: WECSOG on August-17-18 19:08

I'm jealous. I saw a nice used Ruger Single-Seven in .327-Magnum at my local gun store, maybe 6 months ago, and I'm still kicking myself for not buying it. I was looking to add to my Taurus revolver collection at the time and didn't "need" another Ruger revolver, and it was kind of pricey, and it was there for over a week. It's not like I didn't have ample chance to get it.

But by the time I decided I needed it, somebody had beaten me to it. It would have been a nice sister to my Taurus .327-Magnum revolver. Ah well. I'm sure we all have a list of those "missed opportunities" when it comes to guns. I just added this one to the long list.

Check here: http://www.pistolandpawn.com/wp/ruger-sale-2018/
Scroll down; I think it's under Lipsey's exclusives and I'm pretty sure he still has some. $500, brand new. Plus shipping and transfer to your LGS, of course.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

MR_22

Quote from: WECSOG on August-25-18 13:08
Check here: http://www.pistolandpawn.com/wp/ruger-sale-2018/
Scroll down; I think it's under Lipsey's exclusives and I'm pretty sure he still has some. $500, brand new. Plus shipping and transfer to your LGS, of course.

Oh, nice, thanks! I often order from dealers in other states, but the hassle and addition cost makes it annoying.

Ruger

How much to I "actually" spend on one gun?    More than I tell her, usually; then slide in all of the coll accessories later on. 

That is where my greatest fear comes from; that after I die, she sells them for what I told her I paid for them.  :o
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

MR_22

Quote from: Ruger on August-28-18 12:08
How much to I "actually" spend on one gun?    More than I tell her, usually; then slide in all of the coll accessories later on. 

That is where my greatest fear comes from; that after I die, she sells them for what I told her I paid for them.  :o

Of course, I think we all do that to some degree, but they do catch on--and that's not necessarily a bag thing. Take this story, for example:

So I was going shopping with my wife and daughter, but I told them I had to meet a guy in a parking lot on the way "for a transaction". Those are the words I used. So I met the guy, whom I had agreed to meet to trade some digital assets in a game that we play online together, but the game requires you to be close in proximity to trade. So I pulled out my phone, and he pulled out his, and we spent about 2 minutes making the trade, exchanging a few words, like you always do in such meetings, and then i went back to the car.

When I got back in, my wife was noticeably shocked. She said, "Wow, I thought you were buying or selling a gun!" Hahaha. She doesn't even bother asking about my deals anymore. And that's a good thing. :)

smokeless joe

Quote from: MR_22 on August-28-18 15:08
She doesn't even bother asking about my deals anymore. And that's a good thing. :)
My wife could care less about how many toys I have or how much I spend on them. We have a nice arrangement.

bearcatter

Quote from: smokeless joe on August-28-18 18:08
Quote from: MR_22 on August-28-18 15:08
She doesn't even bother asking about my deals anymore. And that's a good thing. :)
My wife could care less about how many toys I have or how much I spend on them. We have a nice arrangement.

I take it she has no idea how many toys or how much spent?...... ::)

My wife has a rough idea, but I don't question her pocket book/shoe addiction.....
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

autofull

my ruger 10/22. rifle cost me 80 bucks in the 70,s. now in its like 10th reincarnation i have over 700 dollars in her again. i stay away from clamshell tactical stocks though. too hard to clean her up. i had a krinker plinker kit as i own a norrell fullauto trigger pack that is a hoot to shoot but i bought that back when it was 500 bucks with the transfer. semi auto i good enough for me these days. gonna sell that norrell pack someday., now they sell for 5 grand and up. stupid crazy prices to me.