Hey Gun gurus!!!

Started by zippovarga, July-11-12 17:07

Previous topic - Next topic

zippovarga

Question....What is it that causes the Stainless Ruger Mark series pistols to collect a tremendous amount of lead in the barrel if not using plated ammo?  

After about 50 rounds, I'm WAY off target and keyholing the guys target beside me! lol...not that bad, BUT, it IS frustrating for the lead to collect SO fast when using non plated rounds...any tricks or tips besides the obvious of only using plated ammo?

louiethelump

Dynamite pellets!!!!!

Try EEZOX.

(A Chevrolet???  REALLY??)
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

jupiter7

I've never had that issue in my mark III target. I usually put 200 rounds through it at a time and only do a full cleaning every 1000 or so. Bore snake and a wipe down in between sessions.

blitzkrieger

Was experiencing the same problem with my and my wifes p22's and my .22 rifle after the 3 chewed down a brick of Peters in an afternoon. Non plated, and left the nastiest lead deposits in the rifling. Wont buy that stuff anymore. But goes to figure....yet another .22 Remington product that has failed to meet any standards of deciency.

louiethelump

I was serious about the EEZOX.  It will prevent leading if you use it to clean the bore and don't remove it with another solvent.

Do a search for EEZOX and read the material on it.  A great product.
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

zippovarga

Will do Sir Louie!!!

And yes.......Chevrolet!!!! lol.....I've also owned a number of good Fords, but never a Mopar.

heyjoe

ill vouch for eezox also and it smells good to boot
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

seeker

Another vote for EEZOX. since I dicovered it a year ago it's all I use, a bit more then other oils/cleaners But well worth it, I had a winchester 1894 with a bad case of rust on Barrel/magazine tube but after scrubbing it with 0000 steel wool and applying eezox NO rust after three months...
Satyameva Jayate

louiethelump

It DOES work, and it is also all I use.  Fred Smith at Bullberry in Utah sends a small bottle with each of his new Contender barrels and advises to use it and nothing else.  I tried it and it is great.

Ref the auto thing.

I have found (back in the old days) that for me, Mopars were far more reliable (this goes back to the slant six and 318 motors).  I have had nothing but headaches from every Ford I ever had other than about 3 Ranger pickup trucks that were actually pretty good (but underpowered) trucks.

I SWORE off GM products after the 1980 Chevette I owned that at a regular mileage break (I don't remember how many miles) a little dingus would pop up in front of the odometer saying you had to get the car serviced.  NO ONE but a GM dealer could lower it and they charged an outrageous fee just to drop the little tab down, PLUS any service the DEALER decided you HAD to do or they would not drop the little tab.  ANY company that would do something like THAT to their customers is NOT a company I would EVER do business with again, and with that mind set, I was not a BIT surprised they became OBAMA MOTORS.  It fits them to a tee.

The last Dodge truck I had was a Dakota with a V6 and a 5 speed and it was a great truck that I put 187,000 miles on before swapping it off for an acre of land to my sister.  It was a CONSTANT battle with little electronic things like dash lights, gauges, and similar things having to do with electronics.  It was still running strong and burning no oil at 187K but the little things were still not working after being repeatedly fixed.

I now drive and own nothing but Toyota or Honda. They have been totally reliable and I have 233,000 trouble free miles on my current truck, 200K on the last one, and wife and daughter have 100K plus miles with nothing but oil changes, tires, and a set of brake pads.  RELIABILITY
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

bud

Seems like some have trouble with one make of auto, while someone else has good luck with that same make.

I have had great success with Ford Motor products for years. I now have a 2002 ford Taurus, and I have never replaced even a turn signal bulb in it!

I also have a 2009 Honda odyssey, and no trouble with it so far. I plan on buying a 2013 toyota Camry, or a Honda accord, or a new 2013 Lincoln mkz. Just thought I'd try something different this time.

zippovarga

I worked for Delco Remy for years, rebuilding the old Starter Generators and big heavy Detroit starters along with the newer planetary gear driven starters. I won't own anything newer than a 1990 since owning a 1996 Impala Super Sport. Nothing but trouble with that beast, but it was always something small that the dealership wanted to put a BIG price tag on. Since then, it's been older vehicles all the way. The Fords I've owned were limited to F series trucks and Mustangs, but I did own one Mazda made Ford Probe, and I MUST say, that was THE most dependable and well engineered car I've owned in recent years. It had 360,000 miles on it when I got it on trade for some work and I drove the wheels off that car, ticking just past 400K miles and it was still going strong when I passed it along to a friend in need who still has it and drives it to this day. WE have our good and bad memories with vehicles that tend to sway our opinions harshly, and I do agree that ANY new vehicle that was a part of the bailout has no place in my garage.  

As mentioned in another post, my 1988 SS Clone Silverado step side has over 250,000 on the ticker and I wouldn't hesitate to drive that truck to Kalifornication and back. The same with my 87 S-10...and the A/C Still blows COLD on that old S-10!! Like I said...we find lemons and we find gems. I'm the type to keep a vehicle forever, so the two trucks have been in the family a combined 10 years so far.  

As for the EEZOX, I'm headed to order some now. Maybe it will eliminate the frustration with my ammo finicky Mark.  

Thanks for the info guys, AND for the thread drift. I think the thread drifts are often more interesting than the intended topic! lol

Cheers!!

zippovarga

Just purchased a 4oz. can and the pin point oilier with .95oz shipped for around 10 bucks. I'll put my Lucas Gun oil in the knife maintenance box and forget about it.  

Thanks again guys!!

gunfixer

Question....

"What is it that causes the Stainless Ruger Mark series pistols to collect a tremendous amount of lead in the barrel if not using plated ammo?"

The main problem is "Not using plated bullets..."

They have very sharp and distinct lands and grooves

that in some cases may become a problem in short periods of time..
-E!-

gunr

Louie

You had a Chevette? I'm surprised you would admit it! There's hope for you yet!

Now you know why they call it the "Shove-it"

louiethelump

YUP

1980.  I called it a Shove it too, and it made me swear off of GM vehicles.

Why would I not admit it?  It was a car and it got us around.  It just was not a very good car.

I traded it even for a 1972 Duster that was a MUCH better car
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

keith44

Wow I had an 82 shove it that lived exactly 11 months.  They took it back under the lemon law and I took a used Ford instead