Iver Johnson derringer

Started by nordmann, July-14-12 19:07

Previous topic - Next topic

nordmann

On the IJ website there's a nice looking four barrel derringer. (sharps replica?) I emailed them for an eta and price point and they said they're planning to release it next year but no price on it yet. Are Iver Johnson products good quality? I'd love to see NAA take a stab at the four barrel.

louiethelump

Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

bill_deshivs

The IJ derringer is a copy of the old Sharps derringer.

Here is the story- these copies were originally made in .22 short by Erl Svendsen of Itasca, Ill. in the 1960s and early 1970s. The frames were bronze. Later a .22 lr version was made. Some time later Herman J. Semianolo (HJS Arms) made the lr version in stainless steel-with a larger grip. The IJ appears identical to the HJS gun. Uberti of Italy made a full-size copy of the Sharps also-but importation was outlawed in 1968.

The Svendsen/HJS/IJ guns are quite a bit smaller than the Sharps/Uberti.

louiethelump

So, is it Philippines made?

Is that a yes or a no?  I don't really get your answer as it seems to discuss guns similar, some bigger, some smaller, some from the 60's and some from Italy.

Where are the IJ guns made?  Are they by HJS arms?

I think the old Iver Johnson went away some years ago, and the name became an importer from the Philippines of a company I cannot recall the name of.  They made some cheap 22 rifles that sort of looked like AR15s, but not much.
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

bill_deshivs

I have no idea where they are made. Apparently, they aren't made, yet. I wasn't replying to you.

I was trying to provide some information, rather than a smart-assed remark. Maybe their .45s are made in the Phillipines. Does that mean all their other guns are made there? Could they have them made somwhere else? Could they actually make them here? Most of the stuff shown on the new IJ site is not in production-maybe it will never be. Do you know? Maybe you should ask IJ!

theysayimnotme

I had one back then. I can't recall why I sold it but I wish I hadn't. There was also an even smaller one with a bird's head grip that I seem to recall was called a Four Aces.

bill_deshivs

The Four Aces was the Svendsen gun. The .22 short model was about the size of the NAA .22 short model. The lr was lengthened accordingly to about the size of the NAA .22lr model. The really small model was the "Little Ace"- a single shot .22 short along the lines of the antique Marlin derringer.

nordmann

All the out of production ones seem really rare. Gunbroker doesn't have any and even finding pics is a challenge. The story is interesting and the future IJ replica sounds like it might be on the junky side. Bet the Uberti ones were pretty decent...

45flint

The other models come up on gun broker but always seem to go for more money than they are worth to me.  They are rare but do come up.  The uberti I have only seen once or twice well made and exact copy of Sharps

Uncle_Lee

It's time for us to get some more guns from China.

I liked Norinco products. And Polytec.

I think we should open up our gun market to them and see what kind of 22 pistols they could come up with.

Look at all the stuff they have piled in Wal-Mary.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

lohman446

My understandng is that most small guns are going to fail to get enough "points" to be allowed to be imported under current laws.
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun" - Tenzin Gyatso - the 14th dalai lama

nordmann

Thank you gun control act of 1968!

louiethelump

Bill, if you don't know, just say you don't know, and don't try to be your usual know it all self.  There is no shame in not knowing.  you WERE replying to me as I am a board member and this is an OPEN FORUM BOARD!!!  If you want private conversation to just one person quit posting your know it all B.S. to the OPEN FORUM.

ALL:  Bill does not know.  I do not know.  I agree with Bill that IJ probably does not know.  Iver Johnson was bought by a company out of the Philippines.  That I do know.
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

bill_deshivs

And, how do you know IJ was bought by a Philipino company?

chopprs

..... a little birdy told him!

Actually we had a thorough conversation about it here a while ago......

Dinadan

Nordmann - if I understand correctly the only connection between the new Iver  

Johnson company and the old Iver Johnson company is the name. Some folks seem  

to like the 1911s they make - be interesting to see how the derringer does.  

I just cannot see anyone selling enough of those four barrel derringers to make a  

decent profit, no matter how good the quality or how low the price.

louiethelump

Yea, it appears I was wrong.  It is an Arkansas company that imports guns manufactured in the Philippines.  

I STAND CORRECTED
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

theysayimnotme

I thought the company that imported the 1911s from the Philippines was located near the Chicken Ranch in Pahrump, Nevada or is that a different company? Mine is marked Rock Island Armory.

jupiter7

Shooters Arms Manufacturing(SAM arms) is another phillipino 1911 outfit, they make the iver Johnson 1911 to the specs of importer with iver Johnson parts.

A review I read recently

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=373516">http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=373516

Uncle_Lee

I though the company bringing them in from the Philippines was in Ohio.
God, Country, & Flag

louiethelump

"Wally's 45 Wonders" of Walla Walla Washington also brings it guns from the Philippines.  You mean there is more than one company importing guns from the Philippines?????  AMAZING!

Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

Uncle_Lee

Really, I thought is was 1 importer per Country.

Maybe that was county.

God, Country, & Flag

jupiter7

Let's not forget  the STI Trojan is also an armscor manufactured and imported 1911, they are in Texas. Per STI, they are made by armscor gunsmiths trained by STI gunsmiths to STI specs.

Armscor makes rock island armory 1911's also.

airplinker

There is one HJS 4 barrel derringer I just saw on GB. Bid was 67.00 so far. Its made of stainless also.

louiethelump

It was Squires Bingham that I was thinking of but could not remember the name of the other day.  They made a sad little copy of their version of what they felt looked like an AR15 in 22lr.  They were in the Philippines as I recall, and it is possible the guns were being sold by Iver Johnson or something that tied the Philippines to IJ in my mind.

According to Wikipedia, the 1911s being sold by what is now known as Iver Johnson come from the Philippines with some USA made parts in the mix.  The same maker in the Philippines makes 1911s for several other companies, and they specifically mentioned STI as one of them.  Maybe that was old or incorrect information.  You 1911 guys are on your own.
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

chopprs

......right about now is when our info Guru chimes in and says that Wikipedia is wrong.....

bill_deshivs

Still stirring it? Of couse you are!

Wikipedia is often wrong (but not about this!) Anyone can write anything for Wikipedia. Let's say you know something about maybe-motorcycles. Then, start reading Wikipedia and see if you can find mistakes. I'll bet you do-if you really know anything about motorcycles.

Uncle_Lee

Wikipedia is correct when it agrees with what I think.

Otherwise............

God, Country, & Flag

louiethelump

Pretty sure no one cares Bill.  Nothing personal, but it is not an issue worth arguing about.  IF you want to buy guns made in the Philippines, you are certainly free to, and I am told some are actually pretty well made.  I don't want to buy guns made there, but that is JUST ME.  Folks here are toying with you and chuckling at how easy it is to get you to take the bait.  Forget it.  Not worth getting your BP up over.

Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

billybob

Man, chopslouie, what an arsehole you are!   Bill didn't start this....you did and then tried to blame it on him......wow!!!

louiethelump

Glennbob:

This:  "Phillipines made?????"  (a simple question, the second post in the thread, so directed at the poster)  STARTED this?????

I may well be an arsehole and have never denied this, but YOU my friend are STUPID and "you can't fix stupid".  I can go to Democrat school and learn to be a nice gullible believer of lies and learn how to apply for welfare in order to recover  from being an "arsehole", but you are

S T U C K...   W I T H...   S T U P I D!!

I want to go on record here, that the FIRST name calling in this thread was done by GlennBob.
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"

chopprs

.......ok......I think I got lost somewhere.....

Who is "Chopslouie" and why do we even care what Mr. 23 posts says anyway......?

I thought Billdeshivs was a writer for Wiki......or was that for the Guiness book?......or was it .......

bill_deshivs

My blood pressure is fine. I agree it's not worth arguing about.

I might be a writer for Wikipedia-maybe not. Ever Googled my name?

chopprs

Google "Bill Deshivs" and your website and some other stuff posted by you on knife forums comes up.....

.....so what?

I Googled my name and over 400 pages come up.....I guess you have some work to do Bill!

louiethelump

When you Google MY name, you get a close up of a large Rectum!

(Rectum heck, Darn near killed em!)

An I LIKE it that way!

LOL!!!
Louie
"Deeds; Not Words"