Changing the grips on my new Black Widow

Started by Talldog, September-12-18 12:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Talldog

I bought the oversized rosewood grips for my new BW direct from NAA, and they came in today. There are 3 holes (beside the one for the screw) in the grips, but only 2 pins. I assume the pins are for the two holes at the bottom of the grips, since the top hole is interfered with by the bolt spring. But when I put it together, the grips are loose. Am I missing something? Do the regular magnum grips not fit the Black Widow?

smokeless joe

The Black Widow and magnum frames as far as grips are concerned should be identical. If the grips are loose I have had some success with a little Teflon tape wrapped around the the back part of the frame before you put on the grip. I like the boot grip or a set of ThingMeister grips on the Black Widow.

RICKS PLACE

I have a pair of the oversized wood grips that I have had for maybe 10 years.  Have put them on 4 or 5 B/Ws and a Pug.   They didn't fit any of them.  Frankly, I don't think any gun will fit them until you use something to fill in the grooves. I just received a new Pug at my dealer yesterday, will pick it up today and give them another try.  Don't have much hope without modification. There is another post re this problem and some ideas re a fix. 

Talldog

I ended up calling NAA yesterday. They told me that sometimes the CNC machine gets out of whack. They took the serial number of my BW and said they would match a grip to a BW with a serial number close to mine for fit and send it out. I appreciate the attention, and I know it's already in the mail (we get notifications from USPS), but it makes me wonder about the consistency of their machining processes, for both the grips and the revolver frames.

Canoeal

If it were mine, I could fix them aND fine tune them myself. I do not have an answer for those not experienced in wood...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Uncle Fatso

Never tried to change the factory grip on my BW.  I don't particularly like the appearance of it, but it works so well.

KEN AR

My BW wears CV grips
Ken AZ is now KEN AR, moved in 2021 to the Natural State
Black Widow MAG/LR, Mini Master, Mini 1 5/8" Mag/LR
Desert Gun Leather holsters
https://desertgunleather.com/
RevisionCV.com Grips

Uncle_Lee

Oh Yes,
Good morning pictures.
Thanks....
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Canoeal

Mine still wears the ones I made a year or so ago...They are a tiny bit smaller than the factory grips...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

rustyzues

Did you make the grips from scratch? If so, nice work.

Canoeal

Quote from: rustyzues on September-21-18 12:09
Did you make the grips from scratch? If so, nice work.

Yes, thanks.