Pug stock grip removal

Started by RICKS PLACE, September-14-18 16:09

Previous topic - Next topic

RICKS PLACE

Just picked up my new Pug T.  Anyone know for sure how to remove the stock grips without ripping them?
This is my 2nd Pug, ripped the old grips many years back.  Would like to get these off in one piece to install some B/W grips as I had on my first one.  If not, I will go ahead and rip them. 

Canoeal

I haven't done a pug, but i do many similar items in boat shop. For me I would let the grips warm up under a heat lamp about 36-40 inches away. Leave them sit for a good 20 minutes until they are warm. Work a little oil under the grips, moving them as much as you can, and eventually the will work off.

I had a pug in my hand today at my LGS, and the stock grips, for me, are a one finger grip. I would be changing them too. It was the Pug D...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

ex-mousekateer

In addition to the oil recommendation, a bike grip trick:  If you can wiggle an air compressor nozzle in there, the pressure from inside works a lot better than pulling and pushing from the outside, since it expands the material instead of compressing it.

RICKS PLACE

Thanks, see no way to get my compressor in the try that method, have a heat gun, think I will try that. 

Pugmeister

Rubbing alcohol worked great for me. Pour a generous amount down into the inside of the grip and start moving the grip  back and forth. Easier to get a grip on the little beast if you remove the cylinder first.
I took mine off and put it back on a couple of times with no problems.
Hope this helps.
PUGMEISTER

ex-mousekateer

Quote from: RICKS PLACE on September-15-18 09:09
Thanks, see no way to get my compressor in the try that method, have a heat gun, think I will try that.

If you can get oil/soap/alcohol in there, you can probably squeeze in a nozzle attachment from any compressor kit, e.g.:

https://www.eastwood.com/5-piece-mini-blow-gun-set.html

autofull

i used the alcohol trick. works well and mine have been on and off at least a dozen times.