Sig P365 vs Pug with larger grip

Started by billmeek, May-08-18 16:05

Previous topic - Next topic

billmeek

As the saying goes, "Without photos it didn't happen."  I picked up the Sig P365 today... as the photo shows. <grin>  Not having a lot of spare time because of work, I thought I'd just post a pic of it and the Pug.  It'll be at least a day or 2 before I get the chance to clean it up (it's dripping oil) and carry it out to the range.

It's not as pocketable as the Pug, but it's a nice carry size for (inside or outside) belt carry.   
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

cfsharry

With those oversized grips the Pug takes up nearly as much pocket space as the Sig. when you factor in the three inch barrel vs the one inch, five rounds vs eleven and 22WMR vs 9mm, it's an easy answer for me which gun I'd buy for carry.
I am patiently awaiting the arrival of my 365.

billmeek

The answer for me is easy too: Both!

I've never been one to feel the need for a backup gun.  But the owners that have had the tip of the striker break off on the Sig P365 gives me pause.  So I'm planning on carrying those 2 pictured as a combo for now. I'm hoping that because of the speed that Sig is producing the P365 to meet current demand, there was a error made in a single batch of the MiM strikers that caused the failure.  If not I'm sure that someone will eventually offer a better striker in the aftermarket.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

billmeek

Well, I took lunch and went to the firing range to shoot the P365 and the Pug (since adding the bigger grip) for the first time.  To start off I fired 12 rounds through the P365.  My thoughts?  Nice, very nice!  I was shooting at targets roughly the diameter of a 45 cal at 20 feet.  I'm not a marksman by far, but of the first 12 I kept 11 within 2 inches of dead center and the one outside of it was still under 3 inches.  It's surprisingly shootable given it's diminutive size.

Next I fired the Pug with the new grips using the 5 Speer Gold Dots 22mag that was in it.  Not one round within 2 inches of the target and one was over 9 inches away from dead center. This was me taking my time on each shot.  I fired a total of 50 rounds thru the Pug (10 22 mag and 40 22LR).  It seems as much luck as anything when I hit within 2 inches and not one ever hit the bullseye.  While slightly better than the stock grips, it wasn't as much improvement as I hoped there would be.  Considerably more practice on my part is needed.

I fired a total of 200 rounds of 9mm through the Sig P365.  But even at my worst today, my fliers with the P365 were no more than 3 inches off center... except the 24 rounds I fired semi-rapid point and shoot which was in a 6-8 inch grouping.     

I'm happy so far with the Sig P365.  I daresay I'm shooting almost as well with it as my Glock 26 that with which I've put many thousands of rounds downrange.  I need to spend more time with the P365 and fire at different distances, targets, and a lot more point-and-shoot.  But my first impression is that it's a keeper.
Bill

cfsharry

Good news indeed Bill. Seems to reinforce what I have been reading and viewing on U Tube.
Patiently waiting for mine.

billmeek

Additional thought:

I hate the Vedder kydex IWB holster I'm using.  It digs into my side.  It's not the brand of holster, just the general design not being made for fat... hefty guys.  I'm spoiled by the Alien Gear IWB... but they don't have a shell for the P365 yet.

Waiting (somewhat) patiently for a pancake holster from Rick.
Bill

cfsharry

Let's see it when you get it.

billmeek

Bill

Warthog

Good, looks like something you will carry and that means it is good.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

cfsharry

Just got an email from my gun guy. My P365 has arrived.

billmeek

Congratulations cfsharry!  Let me know what you think of it once you've had time to try it out.
Bill

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: billmeek on May-11-18 13:05
Additional thought:

I hate the Vedder kydex IWB holster I'm using.  It digs into my side.  It's not the brand of holster, just the general design not being made for fat... hefty guys.  I'm spoiled by the Alien Gear IWB... but they don't have a shell for the P365 yet.

Waiting (somewhat) patiently for a pancake holster from Rick.

That Holster Guy must be goofing off! lol!!

Just kidding! It is in the mail!
Rick Jorgenson

billmeek

... and scheduled to arrive tomorrow!  <twiddles thumbs at a furious rate>
Bill

billmeek

Holster received.  Thanks Rick.  To follow the existing theme of the thread, I though I'd post pictures of the Sig P365 holster and the Pug holster side-by-side.  I haven't had time to do more than take a few photos.  But my initial reaction is that I'm going to be very happy with this holster too.
Bill

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: billmeek on June-04-18 15:06
Holster received.  Thanks Rick.  To follow the existing theme of the thread, I though I'd post pictures of the Sig P365 holster and the Pug holster side-by-side.  I haven't had time to do more than take a few photos.  But my initial reaction is that I'm going to be very happy with this holster too.

Glad you like them Bill!

Good looking "pair" you have there!

The Sig P-365 has been popular lately. The Pug has always been popular with a certain group  ::) lol!

I always ask customers about their gun "how does it shoot?" "How is recoil?" "Is the take down a PITA?" etc...

All have been really positive about this gun.

There was a firing pin (I think thats what it was) breakage issue, Sig has retro-fitted originals and the new pin is in all the new guns.
(so I've heard, I am by no means a Sig or any other gun expert)

Thanks for posting these! 
Rick Jorgenson

billmeek

Rick,

I'm still carrying the pair daily in the holsters I received from you.  I've been so focused lately on NRL22 (22LR rifles) that I've let my other shooting slip a bit.  I just shot the P365 yesterday for the first time in well over a month. From my spread on the targets, you could really tell.  I was testing some very light hand-loads for functionality in the P365. 

I mentioned it somewhere else in the forum, but Alien Gear finally has a holster for the P365 so I ordered the shell to fit my existing IWB Cloak Tuck base.  I got it in and it's still sitting in the package unopened.  I prefer carrying in the leather holsters from Desert Gun Leather.  Better comfort, easier to access, and doesn't print that much more than the IWB.

My P365 has been reliable so far.  It shoots well, but not quite as comfortable to me as a Glock 26 or 19.  I've put so many rounds down-range with those that they feel more natural.  I do really like the aggressive stippling on the P365 as it make for a positive grip. 
Bill

robbi

Quote from: billmeek on May-11-18 13:05
Well, I took lunch and went to the firing range to shoot the P365 and the Pug (since adding the bigger grip) for the first time.  To start off I fired 12 rounds through the P365.  My thoughts?  Nice, very nice!  I was shooting at targets roughly the diameter of a 45 cal at 20 feet.  I'm not a marksman by far, but of the first 12 I kept 11 within 2 inches of dead center and the one outside of it was still under 3 inches.  It's surprisingly shootable given it's diminutive size.

Next I fired the Pug with the new grips using the 5 Speer Gold Dots 22mag that was in it.  Not one round within 2 inches of the target and one was over 9 inches away from dead center. This was me taking my time on each shot.  I fired a total of 50 rounds thru the Pug (10 22 mag and 40 22LR).  It seems as much luck as anything when I hit within 2 inches and not one ever hit the bullseye.  While slightly better than the stock grips, it wasn't as much improvement as I hoped there would be.  Considerably more practice on my part is needed.

I fired a total of 200 rounds of 9mm through the Sig P365.  But even at my worst today, my fliers with the P365 were no more than 3 inches off center... except the 24 rounds I fired semi-rapid point and shoot which was in a 6-8 inch grouping.     

I'm happy so far with the Sig P365.  I daresay I'm shooting almost as well with it as my Glock 26 that with which I've put many thousands of rounds downrange.  I need to spend more time with the P365 and fire at different distances, targets, and a lot more point-and-shoot.  But my first impression is that it's a keeper.
.  the 365 sounds great enjoy

billmeek

Thanks robbi.

I'm still carrying the Sig P365 daily and have to say, I can't think of another firearm I'd prefer for everyday concealed carry.  The ergonomics are good enough for me to shoot adequately while being very concealable given the caliber and round count. I have started using the 12 round mag for carry as it adds a minute amount of size but provides an appreciably comfortable grip.

I'm liking the holster Rick made so much that I still haven't even opened the P365 shell from Alien Gear.
Bill

top dog

Bill,
Super nice combinations you have there!!!!

Top Dog

billmeek

Thanks Top Dog,

With any firearm there are always trade-offs (size, weight, caliber, round count, ergonomics, etc.).  The Sig P365 with the Desert Gun Leather holster is the perfect carry combination for me.
Bill

RICKS PLACE

I carry my 2nd Pug, both had the B/W grip.  I find that grip no harder to conceal than the  grip that comes on the Pug.  However the gun in my hands, at least, shoots better with the B/W grip.  For some reason I find the grip on all the autoloaders to be harder to conceal, do not fit my hands well.  I am now looking  into the vast range of "mini autos" but can't find a suitable one.  While I have to have most of my jean pockets length extended, (for my J frame S&W) i don't consider it a "pocket" gun if I can't carry it in my pocket so belt and iWB holsters are out.  Otherwise, I might as well pack my 30 year old standby S&W 5906. 

billmeek

A long time ago I used to shoot primarily J and K frame Smith and Wesson pistols.  After many years, I got back into shooting and started off with a Glock.  When I picked up a J frame, it no longer felt natural to me and I was inaccurate with it until swapping out the grips with a set of Pachmayrs:

http://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?topic=14972.msg153478#msg153478

You may be having the exact opposite issue where autos don't feel right to you.  I suspect if you get one and shoot it enough, that'll change. 

The first mini auto I bought (after getting back into shooting) was the Ruger LCP II.  It's very pocketable.  I've carried it both in the front and back pocket several times.  It's small and easy to conceal.  I just never really bonded with it as I do a larger firearm even after adding a Talon rubber grip.

I'm still carrying the Sig P365 on a daily basis.  But I've started using the 12 round mags rather than the stock 10 round.  The 12 round just feels better in my hand and only adds a small amount of length which is not enough to really notice the change in concealment. 
Bill

Honky Tonk Man

Bill, that picture of your LCP2 and your Sig P365 really shows how small the new Sig really is!  Pretty amazing.  It's said Sig designed the magazine first, then the gun around it.  They definitely set the bar with this one.  Nice!
Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

billmeek

Just to be fair, the image makes the Sig P365 look smaller compared to the Ruger LCP II because of the slight angle of the photo.  Here's a couple of side-by-side pictures that should make the scale more accurate:

Bill

Honky Tonk Man

Yes I see that now.  Still pretty compact though.  Thanks
Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

billmeek

Ruger LCP II is 6+1 of .380 whereas the Sig P365 (as shown) is 12+1 of 9mm.  That is a significant increase in firepower given the size difference.  But the biggest thing for me is the comfort when shooting.  The ergonomics of the P365 helps me shoot more accurately. 
Bill