Need advice on how to remove what looks like lite rust

Started by Fredra26, October-14-18 19:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Fredra26

I just purchased a 22 magnum at a gun show and there appears to be some rust on my revolver. Can anyone suggest a product to remove the rust without harming the finish?

Fred

1858Fan

I actually had rust on the right side of the front blade sight on my NAA .22 Magnum. First I used my go-to method of 4 ought (0000) steel wool and CLP. That got the orange stuff off but left a dark stain in the bead blasted stainless.

Then I read a tip on removing rust stains from stainless knives, tried it, and it worked.  Here's what I did:

I placed the gun so the side of the sight that had the stain was facing up - supported to keep it level. I put a couple drops of white vinegar on it, let it sit for 5 minutes. Then took my 4 ought steel wool and scrubbed it. Stain gone. Cleaned it up with a cotton patch and some CLP. Good as new.

Hope it works for you.

P.S. if you don't have 4 ought steel wood it's usually in the furniture refinishing section of Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Uncle_Lee

Welcome Fredra24,
Welcome to the forum.
Come forth with all your knowledge and wisdom.
We need more help.
Hey 1858 just helped you.
Let us know how it worked. Show before and after with pictures.. Please.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Ruger

Hey . . . Freda26 . . . WELCOME to the Forum!!  So glad you jolined in and asked for help.  This board is a wonderful place to ask for help, give advice, or just rant about life.  Reload often; hope to see you  on the firing line as often as possible!!
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

adp3

Fred,
If you go the steel wool route be certain to use stainless steel wool or bronze wool. Regular steel wool can leave behind particles in the pores of the steel that promote rust. Penetrating oil and a stiff brush like a bronze bore brush may do the thick also. The bore brush also fits contours well.

Welcome to the forum.

Best Regards,
ADP3
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt,"
-Mark Twain

bill_deshivs

Regular steel wool is fine- just wipe it off well. Steel doesn't have "pores."

adp3

Quote from: bill_deshivs on October-16-18 15:10
Regular steel wool is fine- just wipe it off well. Steel doesn't have "pores."

Steel has what would pass for pores. The surface of steel is actually quite rough under magnification. You've probably seen a pic of a razor blade magnified. It definitely isn't smooth.

Best Regards,
ADP3
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt,"
-Mark Twain

Honky Tonk Man

Welcome Fredra!  and thanks for that tip 1858.  You learn something every day on this site.  I've used four-ought steel wool and gun oil to remove light rust on blued guns too.  Just rub as little as you need to.  It gets the surface rust off, but leaves the bluing behind.  Be sure to store the steel wool in an airtight container.  It is known to self-ignite, especially if there is any oil on it.  I use a glass jar with a metal lid. 
Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

Canoeal

From the wooden boat builder here. Yes, 4 ought steel wool soaked in a flammable liquid can self ignite/ Don't try and save it for reuse. Instead, soak it in water the throw it out, preferably in an outside can. That is what we do when using it with boiled linseed oil, or mineral spirits. Not worth the risk, to try and save a piece of steel wool...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

MR_22

I would start with a little bit of gun bluing remover. It does a pretty good job of dissolving rust, too.

heyjoe

Quote from: Canoeal on October-17-18 08:10
From the wooden boat builder here. Yes, 4 ought steel wool soaked in a flammable liquid can self ignite/ Don't try and save it for reuse. Instead, soak it in water the throw it out, preferably in an outside can. That is what we do when using it with boiled linseed oil, or mineral spirits. Not worth the risk, to try and save a piece of steel wool...

what canoel said...dont save the steel wool or rags you may have used.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

Honky Tonk Man

I guess I didn't make myself too clear.  I didn't mean to store oily steel wool in a jar.  I meant any clean and unused steel wool.  I've heard of times when the oil from your skin can even cause combustion. 
Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

Ruger

My two cents . . . or one cent, as it were . . . I have always used a copper penny and gun oil to remove rust from barrels and the like.  Don't try it with a copper plated zinc penny.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.