Ordered my Super Companion and am getting ready for it

Started by 1858Fan, October-06-18 16:10

Previous topic - Next topic

1858Fan

After not being able to find the Super Companion cap and ball "magnum" revolver in stock anywhere I decided to order it directly from NAA. That was back on 10/3 and they haven't charged my card yet so I'm thinking I may be in for a bit of a wait. We'll see.

In the meantime I decided to get all the necessary supplies on hand. Although already a black powder shooter I didn't have any 4F powder (only 2F for the smoke poles and 3F for the 1858 revolvers). Also, while I had plenty of #11 caps I didn't have any Remington #11's, which I understand is the cap of choice for these mini CB revolvers.

Lucky for me we have a good LGS that carried both the Goex 4F holy black, and the Remington #11's, so I was able to knock both of those out in one trip.

At this point I think I have everything I need to head to the range with the new Super Companion, except the new Super Companion itself.

Anybody ordered one directly from NAA? If so, how long did it take? The lady said they make them on demand and don't stock them, so I realize that the turnaround time might be prone to vary.

Uncle_Lee

Welcome 1858fan.
Let us hear about your time with the little smoke maker.
Pictures are nice also.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

1858Fan

Quote from: uncle_lee on October-08-18 03:10
Welcome 1858fan.
Let us hear about your time with the little smoke maker.
Pictures are nice also.

Will do. I'm really looking forward to getting it. Hopefully the direct order from NAA doesn't take too long. I'm terrible when it comes to waiting for new toys.  :)

top dog

Yep,the Remingon #11s are basically the best cap for your companion.

I am certain that NAA will have your companion on the way in short order.

I ordered mine from them some years ago and it did not take long at all.

I made a "mini powder funnel" from a fired 223 case that I cut about 1/4 inch from the shoulder.  Might help you out in getting the powder into the smaller charge holes.

Top Dog

lefty dude

Welcome, I too am a Mini- Super-Companion proud owner. You are on the right track, with 4F and Remmy #11 caps.
Looking forward to your first outing report with the little fire & smoke pole.

1858Fan

Quote from: top dog on October-08-18 06:10I made a "mini powder funnel" from a fired 223 case that I cut about 1/4 inch from the shoulder.  Might help you out in getting the powder into the smaller charge holes.

Having looked at pictures and watched videos of people shooting the Companions, I made the advance determination that the little yellow dipper that comes with the gun will probably be wholly unsatisfactory for the task of loading the chambers.

What I would really like to have would be a micro version of the  Traditions tubular flask with valve and calibrated spout that I use to load my 1858. The closest thing I've found to that so far is the Traditions Flintlock Pan Primer. It throws 3 gains of 4F powder, but I'm thinking it might be possible to make an extended spout that holds 4 grains. I need to get one and take it apart and see.

In the meantime I thought that a good low tech approach might be to take a spent 22 magnum cartridge case, trim it down to the same volume as the yellow scoop (4 grains I believe), and then epoxy it to the end of a thin wood stick. It seems like the result would be a dipper that would have a mouth much more compatible with the diameter of the chambers in the Super Companion's cylinder.

All of that said, I'm still reading posts here, learning, and wanting to benefit from all of your accumulated wisdom, so thanks for the tip. Using the neck of a .223 case to make a micro funnel is very clever.

1858Fan

Quote from: top dog on October-08-18 06:10I am certain that NAA will have your companion on the way in short order.

I ordered mine from them some years ago and it did not take long at all.

After typing my previous post I called NAA just to get an estimate of when the gun would be expected to ship. She pulled up their production schedule and said that model is scheduled to be produced about 3 weeks out. She said it's possible it could get rescheduled but if it did it would probably be moved sooner, not later. So it sounds like I should be expecting it to ship around the end of October.

That feels like forever, Halloween will be here in a flash - and hopefully my new Super Companion along with it.

rustyzues

top dog

That idea of trimming a 22 mag case (maybe with a "lip"?) sounds pretty good!!!

Hopefully,you will have that nice piece just in time for Halloween!!

Trust me on this,the Companions are made with the same precision as all the NAA minis.

When I ordered mine,it came with a spare cylinder. Will yours??

Saves time for reloads.

Top Dog

Warthog

Love my Super Companion and I am sure you will too... 8)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

lefty dude

I also have two cylinders. When I was in Utah several years ago, I stopped at the NAA factory and had the second cylinder fitted to my Super Companion. They need to be factory fitted, not a drop in DYP.

1858Fan

Quote from: top dog on October-09-18 09:10
That idea of trimming a 22 mag case (maybe with a "lip"?) sounds pretty good!!!

Hopefully,you will have that nice piece just in time for Halloween!!

Trust me on this,the Companions are made with the same precision as all the NAA minis.

When I ordered mine,it came with a spare cylinder. Will yours??

Saves time for reloads.

I ordered some extra items with mine:

• Extra cylinder
  • 500 .22 caliber bullets
  • Set of spare nipples
I knew I'd want a spare cylinder. I saw on their website that if you want to order a spare cylinder after the fact the gun has to be sent to them so it can be fitted. That made it a no-brainer to go ahead and order the spare cylinder at the same time as the gun.

I figure 500 projectiles (plus what the gun comes with) should last awhile. I may never need the spare nipples but ordered them out of fear that someday the gun gets discontinued and I wished I had a set. I probably should have ordered two sets. If NAA ever stops making the gun they might be kind of hard to come by as I would guess they probably aren't standard.

1858Fan

Got a phone call from NAA today saying my Super Companion should ship today. Yay! Looks like FedEx ground from Utah to Florida is 4 days so I should have it sometime next week.

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: 1858Fan on October-25-18 12:10
Got a phone call from NAA today saying my Super Companion should ship today. Yay! Looks like FedEx ground from Utah to Florida is 4 days so I should have it sometime next week.

Awesome!

Pictures of all the gear and gun when you get it!
Rick Jorgenson

glenn

Proud Untermenschen of the NWO

top dog

I look forward to hearing about your new acquisition when it arrives.
Do you a have a "possibles box" all set up for your new stuff???

Remember that BP or equivilent works best slightly compressed.

Top Dog

1858Fan

Quote from: top dog on October-27-18 06:10
I look forward to hearing about your new acquisition when it arrives.
Do you a have a "possibles box" all set up for your new stuff???

I have a whole bag that is for black powder pistol and another for black powder rifle - with all my various accouterments in there. I have add my specialized powder thrower in there, plus the tools and projectiles that come with the Super Companion, and then I should be all set.

Quote from: top dog on October-27-18 06:10Remember that BP or equivilent works best slightly compressed.

That's normally true, but it is actually the opposite for the Super Companion. The chamber and the recommended load are specifically designed to avoid compressing the powder. I guess this is due to the very small powder charge and the use of 4F powder. If loaded as instructed the shape of the chamber makes it impossible to compress the powder (see attachment).

1858Fan

It arrived yesterday, yay! The gun is wonderful of course - and the box weighed a ton (not literally) with all the extra bullets I purchased with it.

One minor gripe - they did not put the gun in any sort of bag - it was just loose in the metal box that it all came in - and the top strap got a couple scratches on it from banging into the metal hinge point of the metal box. They really should put the gun in plastic, or wrap it in just a little paper, or something. Since the metal box isn't locked during shipping (the keys are inside) the lid is only held closed by the cardboard box that contains the metal box and that lets the lid be loose enough to let the contents move around.

But that's a minor gripe. I haven't named the gun yet. All my black powder guns have names. Nothing I've come up with so far has stuck.

Honky Tonk Man

Congrats 1858!  The fun starts now.  Maybe you can buff the scratches off with some Flitz metal polish or maybe some emery cloth?  I know NAA will make it right, but sending it back is probably the last thing you want to do.  Don't forget to send a picture or two our way. 
Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

1858Fan

Quote from: Honky Tonk Man on November-01-18 16:11
Congrats 1858!  The fun starts now.  Maybe you can buff the scratches off with some Flitz metal polish or maybe some emery cloth?  I know NAA will make it right, but sending it back is probably the last thing you want to do.  Don't forget to send a picture or two our way.

One of the scratches is all the way through the bead blasted surface to shiny metal, so it's not going anywhere without bead blasting the top of the gun. I'm sure NAA would refinish the top strap if I asked them to but no way I'm sending it back after waiting several weeks for it. It's not a big deal - I'm just going to live with it. But I probably will call their customer service and share my disappointment and urge that they put the guns in a bag or something going forward.

Here's a picture of it. There are many like it, but this one is mine. :)

top dog

That looks super nice!!!  Don't worry about the scratches,they just add character to the beautiful piece.

What powder do you plan to use?  BP? Or Pyrodex or other substitute??

Let us know how you do on the range with it!!!!

Top Dog

1858Fan

Quote from: top dog on November-02-18 05:11That looks super nice!!!  Don't worry about the scratches,they just add character to the beautiful piece.

Yeah, it just means I don't have to worry about me being the one to put the first scratch on it - it's already done. :)

Quote from: top dog on November-02-18 05:11What powder do you plan to use?  BP? Or Pyrodex or other substitute??

I have a pound of Goex 4F holy black. If I'm going to shoot loose powder I prefer to shoot real BP. I will admit I like the Pyrodex pellets for the rifle and even have some small Pyrodex pellets that I use in the 1858 now and again - but really nothing beats the experience of holy black.

RogueTS1

If these things do not have any scratches on them they are not being carried/shot and more than just likely sitting in a safe/vault.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

1858Fan

Quote from: RogueTS1 on November-02-18 11:11
If these things do not have any scratches on them they are not being carried/shot and more than just likely sitting in a safe/vault.

Yeah, but call me weird, when something is brand new I at least like it to start out perfect. It just bugs me when a tiny extra effort could make the difference. Most likely they have no idea that it's not going to travel well when tossed in a metal box with no protection, along with 500 bullets and all the other extra stuff I ordered. Can't hurt to let 'em know that dropping the gun in a little plastic bag (like they do with the spare cylinder which arrived in perfect shape) would improve the customer experience a bit.

Honky Tonk Man

I think NAA would like feedback like that.  They're all over Customer Service issues, and would understand your point.  I'm sure they don't realize that the guns shift around in those boxes.  If they already supply you with the best gun box in the business, it would only cost them a couple pennies more for a bubble wrap bag.  I'm like you.  I can appreciate "patina" of my own making, but not from the Post Office.  Let us know what the tell you, ok? 
Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver