Range day with the Blackwidow

Started by Gus1759, October-20-18 13:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Gus1759

After owning this beauty for about three months, I was finally able to take it to the range today.
With lr. Or mag ammo it seemed to shoot high and to the left. For the life of me I can't remember which way I need to move rear sight. Any help would be appreciated fellas, next outing might be Monday morning if I can get away from doctors office at a decent time. Will try to send photo of targets if I can find them.

Gus1759

So does that mean just a rear sight adjustment, or both should be moved?

Bigbird48

Rear sight left a hair front sight need to be higher to lower the shot. maybe can be done with rear sight adjustment some how not sure

top dog

Gus,
The rear sight is moved in the direction you want the shots to go. Actually you are moving you line of sight to the bullet holes.

As far as elevation you can file down the front sight a bit to raise the shots.

Does it really make a difference at 10-15 feet???

The recent issue of Concealed Carry magazine has a nice article about the Black Widow.

Top Dog

Bigbird48

Quote from: top dog on October-22-18 05:10
Gus,
The rear sight is moved in the direction you want the shots to go. Actually you are moving you line of sight to the bullet holes.

As far as elevation you can file down the front sight a bit to raise the shots.

Does it really make a difference at 10-15 feet???

The recent issue of Concealed Carry magazine has a nice article about the Black Widow

Top Dog

Bigbird48

He is shooting High and wants to lower his shots must raise  the front sight or move the rear sight some how to compensate by moving the rear sight forward or backward you can change the height of your shot. I don't think the rear sight on the BW can be moved forward or backwards

kc

Lowering the rear sight will lower the point of impact, raising the rear sight will raise the point of impact. Exactly opposite with the front sight.

Aim the revolver (or your forefinger) at where you want the bullet to hit (on a target, pinecone, whatever). Now visualize lowering the rear of the revolver slightly (which lowers the rear sight relative to the front sight) while not moving the muzzle or front sight. As you can see, the sight alignment will now result in a higher point of impact on the target, because the barrel is now pointed in a more upward angle.

When you mechanically move only the rear sight (not the rear of the revolver) down, you will have to lower the muzzle to realign both sights on the center of the target.... which lowers the point of impact.

Raising the rear sight (relative to the front sight) does the opposite, 'cause you have to raise the muzzle to realign the sights on the target. If you ponder how this works, you'll understand how the horizontal (left to right) point of impact will be similarly affected by moving the sights left or right.

Once you visualize it, it's pretty simple. The initial visualizing sometimes takes a while.

Adjustable sights make the process easy but, as others have mentioned, one can also file the top of a fixed rear sight down a little to lower the point of impact, or the top of the front sight to raise the point of impact. Best to practice on something else first and use good quality, fine-tooth files, etc. You won't want to remove much metal - a tiny bit will make a significant difference.

I prefer fixed sights, and have "adjusted" them like this for many years (as have lots of other folks). This is generally how it was done before there were adjustable sights on handguns.

Adjustable sights are preferable if one will be using a variety of ammo and/or shooting at longer distances, as different bullet weights and velocity will often impact the target in different places, and you can re-adjust the sights as needed for whatever ammo you are using. For close work (short distances common for typical self-defense) or if you stay with the same ammo, fixed sights can be preferable because of durability, lower profile, etc.
I hope this helps!

Gus1759

Ok here are pics, Firestone is at 10 yards free hand no rest, high and to the left. Second one is with bench rest at 5 yards, not a lot of diffrence. I noticed that the rear sight moves forward or back with Allen screw but there is another Allen screw on the mounting base that moves sight left or right. Didn't have proper tools to move base plate with me ,so another range day is needed,which isn't a bad thing.

Gus1759

Sorry only one pic went through the first time

Bigbird48

if your at 30 feet with a BW hitting like this I would not worry about it

Honky Tonk Man

I was thinking the same thing.  All those shots are in a 4" group at 30 feet.  Not bad for a gun with a 2" barrel.  Good going Gus!
Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

Dinadan

Gus - that is not bad for the first time you shot the gun, especially the freehand group at 10 yards. I petty much agree with BigBird and HTM. I know you said you shot the second group from a rest, but before tinkering with the sights I would shoot a few more groups from a serious rest and concentrating on holding the BW really tight. Just to make sure it is the sights and not the hands. In the past a couple of times I thought a Mini was not shooting to point of aim, but more shooting with a good rest convinced me the problem was with me, not with the Mini. Just a thought.

Gus1759

Thanks guys for all the good info. This is one of the best forums I've ever been on. Maybe I'll put a few more rounds thru it before I change anything.

Uncle Fatso

Might be worthwhile trying some different types of ammo, too. Generally heavier bullets hit higher from a handgun than lighter ones will.

top dog

Gus,
It looks like you are just fine right now.  If it ain't broke.........don't fix it.

Top Dog