Ruger LCRx in .327 Magnum

Started by Gog, October-25-18 05:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Gog

Hi all!
Just wanted to share a pic of my new revolver. A little bigger than my NAA's but still a small revolver! I wanted to try the 327 Magnum caliber and wanted another snubby too.
I'm also posting a YouTube link to an unboxing I did on it. My first ever...  lol. Not saying it's good but it was pretty fun to attempt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0TTpwQ0sPY

I put a Gold Dot 22 Mag in the picture for comparison. Just cause I knew you guys would like it!

top dog

Gog,
Super nice choice you made there.
Fine revolver and in a very good caliber.

Let us know how it does on the range.

Top Dog

Talldog

I'd be interested to know what the recoil is like.

Honky Tonk Man

Nice job on the video, Gog.  I think you covered all the bases.  I know a lot more about the round and the revolver now.  I'm also anxious to hear about your shooting experience when you get a chance. 
Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

Warthog

I have one of those too as well as a bunch of other 327FMs including a Henry Levergun.

Good One!
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Gog

Ooooh, you got the Henry? Sweet. If I hadn't just recently bought the Henry Big Boy Steel .357 I'd get one too. But hey, who knows?

billmeek

The LCRx 327 Federal Mag is on my short list of guns to get.  I'm looking forward to your impressions of it compared to the Sig P365 which is my primary daily carry. 

Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

Dinadan

That is a cool revolver and caliber! I did not realize that Ruger was making the LCR in that caliber.

heyjoe

Quote from: Dinadan on October-25-18 17:10
That is a cool revolver and caliber! I did not realize that Ruger was making the LCR in that caliber.

i have a 327 LCR which has an internal hammer. very accurate, lightweight and great trigger.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

Warthog

The 327FM IS A GREAT CALIBER IMO.  It is prolly on the way out though but I have a lot of stuff to reload it and will keep using it until I am dead.

My LCR's and LCRx's (mixed in my 9mm LCR too) below plus a dummy gun I bought to send to holster makers in case they don't have one.

Can't help Bill with his Sig, I only have a few Sigs and most are in 40 or 9mm.  But the 327FM is a great gun as is the LCR in the same caliber, it is a nice shooter and works well.  I use the LCRx mostly at the range since it has a hammer, it does make for a nice shooting experience though.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

billmeek

heyjoe,

I did not need to see that Rick is making holsters for the LCR/LCRx.  <sigh>  LCRx just bumped up a few notches on the "want list". 

Warty,

I think Ruger made a mistake with the 327 Federal Magnum by not coming out with a matching rifle that utilizes the round.  Yes, I am aware of the Henry.  But a PC Carbine in 327 Federal Magnum would be at the top of my wish list and I'd likely buy a revolver at the same time. 
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

theysayimnotme

The question has to be what does the magnum add in such a short barrel? Anything more than a fireball? The combo I was sure was coming was a pistol & carbine in .357 Maximum. I thought that was a no brainer. Shows how much I know. I have a Thompson Contender barrel in .357 Maximum & it's a good thing I have a good supply of brass because I haven't seen any in a very long time.
I really thought that round was going to be a winner.

billmeek

It adds velocity as the 327FM allows much higher pressures (SAAMI maximum average pressure limit of 45,000 psi) than other magnums and about 10k higher than the 357 but with less recoil.  Because of the diameter of the 327FM, Ruger was able to squeeze another round in the cylinder for a total of 6.

From : https://gundigest.com/reviews/review-ruger-lcr-327-federal-concealed-carry

One concern with small guns is how much velocity you lose because of the short barrel. You can't avoid the velocity reduction, that's just physics. But the .327 Federal Magnum still produces high velocities from the LCR's short barrel. The faster rounds produced velocities around 1,300 fps. The Federal 100-grain soft point clocked at 1,313 fps from the 1.87-inch barrel, producing 383 ft.-lbs. of muzzle energy. That's more energy than a .45 Automatic produces with a 230-grain bullet at 850 fps (367 ft.-lbs.) from a 5-inch barrel.
Bill

Warthog

Bill, I agree about how Ruger should also have made a rifle, I asked them to make one many times in letters and emails but they never did.  I then went to all the lever action rifle makers and asked them to make a 327FM rifle and did this for years too and then Henry sent me a notice that I should be on the lookout for theirs as they had made one and so I went to my LGS and told them to get me one ASAP.  It is a joy to shoot and the longer barrel adds a lot of umph to the round that is already a great one for SD IMO.
-Albert Einstein

billmeek

Warty,

Which of the 3 Henry's did you get?  The Big Boy Classic, Big Boy Steel Rifle, or the Big Boy Steel Carbine?
Bill

Bj

Just for kicks I did a search for henry for user Warty62 and found a picture, not sure from the picture which one it is to answer your question Billmeek.
http://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?topic=14939.msg152976#msg152976

billmeek

Thanks.  That's the Big Boy Steel Rifle with a 20 inch barrel where the Carbine is 16.5 inch.  The Big Boy Classic is a brass receiver and an octogon 20 inch barrel. 
Bill

billmeek

Whoops!  Didn't know that there is also a Big Boy Carbine in 327 Federal Mag!  I may have to start saving up my pennies:

Bill

Warthog

Bill, I just bought a regular Big Boy as that was what I liked and could afford.  The Brass ones aren't a lot more expensive, I just wanted the first one I could get so I didn't miss out.  (Ruger Single Seven thrown in for the pic)
-Albert Einstein

billmeek

Warty,

Actually the Big Boy Classic (brass 20 inch model) is for right now $100 less expensive:

Big Boy Classic - $550.00 + $15 shipping
Big Boy Carbine - $669.59 + $15 shipping
Big Boy Steel - $667.99 + $15 shipping
Big Boy Steel Carbine - Out of stock
Bill

Warthog

Good for you Bill, get one!
-Albert Einstein

linux_author

Mr. Gog - i tried handling the .327 LCRx but didn't like the trigger guard (would have abraded my finger badly)...

my question is: have you tried to see if .32ACP will headspace and properly eject in your LCRx? i'm leaning towards a Ruger .327 Federal, but it's something that i'd prefer to try at hand...

(i'm trying to standardize my ammo - i fully realize that .32ACP out of a .327 isn't going to be accurate, but i want to be able to use it if need be; i now have a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 in 9mm, my Browning High Power, and a Charter Arm 9mm Pitbull - all of which operate well)

tks in advance,

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

smokeless joe

Quote from: billmeek on October-25-18 19:10
heyjoe,

I did not need to see that Rick is making holsters for the LCR/LCRx.  <sigh>  LCRx just bumped up a few notches on the "want list". 
Perfect timing too. I recently emailed Rick inquiring if he made a holster for the LCR because I didn't see one on the website. I've been carrying my LCR 357 in a sticky holster but have been leaning towards a nice leather one.

Alone Ranger

My question is where are you guys finding your .327 Federal Magnum ammo?  I bought a Ruger SP-101 in March and haven't seen any ammo since.  I emailed Federal about availability and they said they were working as hard as possible and expected to have more out by August.  Midway has been out for months.  Any suggestions, and don't suggest reloading?

riadat

I would think the Henry 327 with some 32 S&W would be good rabbit hunting gun.  With the right round effective on coyote, wild pig, or small deer.

And now I WANT ONE.  Damnit.

LHB

"The combo I was sure was coming was a pistol & carbine in .357 Maximum. I thought that was a no brainer."

That was a popular round with the handgun silhouette shooters until they woke up to the fact that the hot gases were cutting the top straps on their revolvers.   Would have been nice in a rifle, but if you fired enough rounds through a revolver, you were destroying the gun,

Warthog

Never seemed to matter on any of the four Rugers I own, I have fired them many times.
-Albert Einstein

LHB

Warty, I've seen Ruger 357 max that were cut half way through the top strap.   Handgun silhouette also showed the weakness in the S&W K frames, that couldn't take a steady diet of full bore 357 mag.   The N frames could take the full bore 357, and the Pythons, but the N frames had some problems with the 44  mag.   That 40 rounds per match of full bore, needed to knock down that ram at 200 meters, and if you shot more than one relay, and if you practiced a time or two per week, really put the stress on the guns.

Warthog

Well LHB, mine show zero wear on the top strap so far and I have put near 2000 round through them.  I will keep shooting and checking though. ;)
-Albert Einstein

Gog

Quote from: Alone Ranger on October-26-18 16:10
My question is where are you guys finding your .327 Federal Magnum ammo?  I bought a Ruger SP-101 in March and haven't seen any ammo since.  I emailed Federal about availability and they said they were working as hard as possible and expected to have more out by August.  Midway has been out for months.  Any suggestions, and don't suggest reloading?

Online pricing is much better than local pricing but shipping can be tough. I just bought 3 different types from Wholesalehunter.com
They had Hydrashok, Gold-dots and 50 count American Eagle. I got some of all 3.

Gog

Quote from: billmeek on October-26-18 10:10
Warty,

Actually the Big Boy Classic (brass 20 inch model) is for right now $100 less expensive:

Big Boy Classic - $550.00 + $15 shipping
Big Boy Carbine - $669.59 + $15 shipping
Big Boy Steel - $667.99 + $15 shipping
Big Boy Steel Carbine - Out of stock

Hey Bill, whose is that pricing? *** good deal.

billmeek

Bill

Gog

Quote from: linux_author on October-26-18 13:10
Mr. Gog - i tried handling the .327 LCRx but didn't like the trigger guard (would have abraded my finger badly)...

my question is: have you tried to see if .32ACP will headspace and properly eject in your LCRx? i'm leaning towards a Ruger .327 Federal, but it's something that i'd prefer to try at hand...

(i'm trying to standardize my ammo - i fully realize that .32ACP out of a .327 isn't going to be accurate, but i want to be able to use it if need be; i now have a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 in 9mm, my Browning High Power, and a Charter Arm 9mm Pitbull - all of which operate well)

tks in advance,

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

I just tried it, here's some video on it. Works pretty dang good and feels like a popgun or like shooting a 22 short...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0XXanA1ye12KHcYlInisMg