Aguila interceptors

Started by Texron, October-28-18 11:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Texron

Has anyone tested Aguila Interceptors out of a NAA 22?

billmeek

Have you seen this thread?

http://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?topic=4017.0

I don't think anyone has performed any chronograph testing yet with Aguila Interceptors.  I'll add it to my to-do list. 
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

billmeek

Added a couple of boxes of the Agulia Interceptors (40 grain 1470 fps) and Agulia Supermaxes (30 grain 1700 fps) to an ammo order I needed to make anyway.  I don't know when I'll have the time free to take the NAAs and LabRadar to get some chronograph numbers, but I'll post as soon as I have them.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

adp3

billmeek,
It'll be nice to hear what the results are. I've been carrying CCI Velocitors in my LR minis for several years. It'll be good to see how the Aguilas compare.

Best Regards,
ADP3
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt,"
-Mark Twain

Texron

Thanks, Billmeek. I had not seen this before. I bought a box of interceptors at a gun show, Saturday and had heard they were faster than the Velocitors and the Stingers. I knew I could count on someone on this forum to provide the information I was looking for.

billmeek

Ammo arrived today.  Bought 3 boxes each of Colibri/Super Colibri for a friend's young son to use his first time shooting.   He's a bit noise sensitive.  Bought 2 boxes of the Center-X, Tac-22, and 4 of the SK Standard Plus (since the SK was on sale) to test with my bolt rifles comparing it to CCI SV.  The Interceptor/Supermaximum (2 boxes each) are for the NAA testing along with a couple of other types I have on-hand. 

No promises as to when I'll be able to get the testing done.  Weather (rain), work, etc. have not been cooperating in letting me get to the range.   
Bill

Texron

I understand that the Colibri won't cycle in a magazine. They only work in a revolver or single action rifle. I have shot them out of my Mimi's. They are nice for beginners due to low noise and no recoil. Enjoy!

billmeek

I've tested the Colibri rounds in a Savage FVSR (mag fed bolt action) without issue.  There shouldn't be any problem feeding with the Marlin XT-22YR (youth model) I have setup for him.  That is... other than hearing when it's fired.  Standing beside the rifle all I heard when someone else shot it was the action and the paper being hit. 

One bad thing about the Colibri was they have a massive drop at even 25 yards.  Hopefully the Super Colibri rounds will perform a bit better.  I'm planning on stepping through the Colibri, Super Colibri, and then see if he'll keep shooting with some CCI Quiets.
Bill

billmeek

Some LabRadar numbers for your consideration.  Each are 5 round groups fired from the NAA Pug (1 inch barrel).  I added a few other ammo types to provide comparison data with the current weather conditions.

1. CCI SV (Standard Velocity) - 40 grain

Stats - Average   768.08   fps
Stats - Highest   827.02   fps
Stats - Lowest   634.68   fps
Stats - Ext. Spread   192.34   fps
Stats - Std. Dev   67.44   fps

2. Aguila SV (Standard Velocity) - 40 grain

Stats - Average   792.94   fps
Stats - Highest   808.3   fps
Stats - Lowest   778.14   fps
Stats - Ext. Spread   30.17   fps
Stats - Std. Dev   11.86   fps

3. Aguila Interceptor - 40 grain

Stats - Average   918.14   fps
Stats - Highest   943.04   fps
Stats - Lowest   891.3   fps
Stats - Ext. Spread   51.74   fps
Stats - Std. Dev   19.14   fps

4. Aguila SuperMaximum - 30 grain

Stats - Average   988.71   fps
Stats - Highest   1030.38   fps
Stats - Lowest   956.22   fps
Stats - Ext. Spread   74.16   fps
Stats - Std. Dev   34.99   fps

5. CCI Stinger - 32 grain

Stats - Average   897.58   fps
Stats - Highest   944.34   fps
Stats - Lowest   769.01   fps
Stats - Ext. Spread   175.33   fps
Stats - Std. Dev   72.94   fps

6. Aguila Colibri - 20 grain

Stats - Average   340.17   fps
Stats - Highest   346.33   fps
Stats - Lowest   327.13   fps
Stats - Ext. Spread   19.19   fps
Stats - Std. Dev   7.55   fps

7. Aguila Super Colibri - 20 grain

Stats - Average   444.8   fps
Stats - Highest   479.27   fps
Stats - Lowest   405.84   fps
Stats - Ext. Spread   73.43   fps
Stats - Std. Dev   26.48   fps

8. Speer Gold Dot Short barrel (22 Mag) - 40 grain

Stats - Average   899.78   fps
Stats - Highest   927.51   fps
Stats - Lowest   879.53   fps
Stats - Ext. Spread   47.99   fps
Stats - Std. Dev   23.07   fps

9. Fiocchi (22 Mag) - 40 grain

Stats - Average   872.39   fps
Stats - Highest   878.73   fps
Stats - Lowest   863.83   fps
Stats - Ext. Spread   14.9   fps
Stats - Std. Dev   6.59   fps

By FPS numbers alone, Aguila Interceptor looks good for a 40 grain bullet.  But I'll stick with the Speer Gold Dots in my Pug for the bullet expansion. 
Bill

Rick_Jorgenson

Thanks Bill. 

Some really valuable information should have a "pin" of this info on the Forum so it can be found quickly.

How about tests in Ballistics Gel next!   

You'll need a wagon to tow the blocks of Gel behind your scooter to get it to the Range! lol!!

Thanks again for your time spent putting this together.
Rick Jorgenson

Texron

Thanks, Bill. That is very interesting and useful. I,too, will stick to Speer a Gold Dots in my Pug, but may be replacing Velocitors in my 22LR.

billmeek

Quote from: Rick_Jorgenson on November-06-18 06:11
How about tests in Ballistics Gel next!   

I've got some upcoming 22 testing that may just require ballistics gel.  I've already looking into making it.

Quote from: Rick_Jorgenson on November-06-18 06:11
You'll need a wagon to tow the blocks of Gel behind your scooter to get it to the Range! lol!

I have a Ford Ranger loaded with nothing but stuff to go to the range.  I would have to re-arrange the contents of the bed to have space for the gel blocks.

I know you were joking about hauling gel blocks to the range with a scooter, but I already one of my scooters setup so that it could do it!

Bill

Rick_Jorgenson

Awesome photo Bill!  Love the co-pilot!
Rick Jorgenson