2nd Pug, combo or not?

Started by Adk.IBO, November-08-18 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Adk.IBO

My Pug has both cylinders and I'm still considering a second Pug. I can always practice LR with the one I have and fire a magnum second Pug for function. Any reason to have both Pugs with both cylinders?
Luke 23:34

WECSOG

Personally, I would always go for the additional cylinder.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

bearcatter

Quote from: WECSOG on November-08-18 09:11
Personally, I would always go for the additional cylinder.

Plus one. Not that much additional, and keeps you from kicking yourself that you didn't do it, a month later.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

miker

Someday you may be selling one of them, and a "complete package" is always easier to sell - more interesting for the new owner.

Plus, ya got two hands... why wouldn't you be blazing away with .22 from both? ;)

autofull

i own three pugs, all are dual cylinder. why, because i love em.

Adk.IBO

Anybody have a rough idea what it cost to add a LR cylinder to a Pug that doesn't have one. I realize it needs to be sent in and shipping is extra. Looking more for what NAA charges are. Thanks, John

Honky Tonk Man

Ask.IBO funny you ask.  I looked it up on the NAA website and wasn't able to find that info.  It doesn't show the price for a Pug Combo as far as I can tell.  I looked at Bud's site and find a price for a Pug with Tritium sights going for $312.00   The same Pug with both cylinders goes for $353.00.  The difference is $41.00, so I'm guessing that is approximately the price of an extra cylinder.   A call to their customer service will tell you all you need to know. 
Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

smokeless joe

I'm in the combo group. Cheaper to target shoot the lr ammo and carry the magnum.

WECSOG

I think they used to list the price of an additional cylinder under "parts," but it doesn't seem to be there anymore. IIRC, it was about $40. Or maybe it was $59. That's oddly specific I know, but it's what came to me.
Anyway the biggest problem is shipping it to them. You can ship it direct via UPS, but it has to go overnight air and that costs upwards of $100. Or you can take it to your local FFL and have them ship it (they can send it through the mail), but they will charge you a transfer fee in both directions. So it might not be much savings there. Bottom line is it's gonna probably cost at least $150 including the new cylinder, for something you could have bought with the gun for a lot less.

If I were gonna ship back my 1-5/8" Magnum (which I bought used for ~$180 but it just has the one cylinder), I would just ship it direct rather than messing with the FFL. And I would go ahead and get at least two additional cylinders, to make it worth the trip. Maybe an LR and an additional Magnum. Or maybe even two LRs and a Magnum. That way I could go all Josey Wales and have 20 shots on tap! 
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

Adk.IBO

...hmm, I've shipped guns before and it's no where near the numbers you're talking about. My dilema is my Pug is ported and the only ported Pugs I've found are magnum only, except the one like mine that has Wasp cylinders, cheesy holster and a laser. I want plain cylinders so I don't mix and maybe not match and I don't want a laser or another holster. I don't want to get one that is not ported because I want it to shoot similarly to the one I have. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it :D

Boisesteve

If I had the option, I'd always snag the second cylinder with the initial purchase.
I just visited NAA on Monday. I bought a 22LR conversion cyl. for the 1 5/8" magnum frame Ellett Bros. tritium-front-sight special I got several months ago. (I'd wasted too much time deciding I wanted to buy the revolver initially, so by the time I went to order it the combo model with both cyls was sold out and I got one of the last 1 5/8" magnums.)  Anyhow, Sue at the NAA front desk was EXCELLENT and very efficient, the customer service was FAST, and they fitted and timed the conversion cylinder while I waited.  Cost: $30.  And this goes to why I drove from Boise to Provo instead of shipping it. Like was said by others, Fedex and UPS demand it be sent overnight express when you tell them it's a firearm and the cost of shipping was a break-even wash with the cost of driving and a night at Motel 6, plus I got to visit the Browning museum and the Hill AFB museum in Ogden, both very worthwhile.
To reiterate: my opinion, if you can get the two-cyl package at the time of initial purchase, do so.
Be well all, Steve in Boise

WECSOG

Quote from: Adk.IBO on November-08-18 19:11
...hmm, I've shipped guns before and it's no where near the numbers you're talking about. My dilema is my Pug is ported and the only ported Pugs I've found are magnum only, except the one like mine that has Wasp cylinders, cheesy holster and a laser. I want plain cylinders so I don't mix and maybe not match and I don't want a laser or another holster. I don't want to get one that is not ported because I want it to shoot similarly to the one I have. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it :D

Handguns? Recently?
Unless you are an FFL holder, handguns cannot be sent through the mail. They must go common carrier (UPS or Fedex) and the common carriers will only ship them overnight. The only way around that for a non-FFL is to just ship it and don't tell them what's in it... which is a felony.

I've shipped a handgun through UPS, following the rules. It was $75. And that was a few years ago. Rates have increased since then.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

Adk.IBO

Yup. Through an FFL. Only way when you sell a gun. Your numbers may vary...You can bet I'll research it before buy one. Non FFL sellers (me included) on GB ship guns they've sold through FFLs for a lot less than $75. When there are no transfer fees FFLs around here are reasonable (I guess).

Warthog

My FFL doesn't charge me extra if all I want is for him to ship a handgun through the mail either to a new buyer (or their FFL actually) or back to the manufacturer for some repair or some sort of addition item I want.  I have bought many firearms from him so he told me he would give me this deal. 

Of course, when I had my own FFL I always used the USPS to ship a firearm of any sort, it is so much cheaper than sending a handgun through UPS or FedEx.  The Postal Rates have certainly increased since my FFLs and I imagine the UPS and FedEx rates have too since they would hate to be left out and not make as much money as they could.  I never used FedEx, always UPS when I had to use someone other than the USPS. 

Some FFLs out there get testy if they feel you are breaking some imagined rule.  I would even tell them exactly where in their FFL rules and in the USPS Manual they could find that I wasn't but some folks apparently are illiterate and can't bare to admit it. 8)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

WECSOG

Quote from: Adk.IBO on November-08-18 21:11
Yup. Through an FFL. Only way when you sell a gun. Your numbers may vary...You can bet I'll research it before buy one. Non FFL sellers (me included) on GB ship guns they've sold through FFLs for a lot less than $75. When there are no transfer fees FFLs around here are reasonable (I guess).

The prices I quoted were for shipping a handgun yourself, directly to a manufacturer or FFL (such as a gunsmith).
You're right, having an FFL ship it for you can be a lot cheaper if they don't charge much for the service. An FFL can send a handgun through the mail, which is much cheaper.
A lot of FFLs though will charge $35 or more to ship it for you, then another $35 or more to transfer it back to you when it returns. They can do that because when you have an FFL ship a gun, you are transferring it even if it is for a repair. Then when it returns, they transfer it again back to you. It goes in their bound book both ways.
But when you ship directly to the manufacturer or a gunsmith to work on a gun and send it or a replacement back to you, no transfer is taking place. The gunsmith does have to keep a record, but it's not the same as a transfer.
Lots of FFLs will argue that point, because they don't know.

It's much cheaper to ship a long gun for repair. Even as a non-FFL, you can mail it through USPS.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

billmeek

Quote from: WECSOG on November-09-18 07:11
It's much cheaper to ship a long gun for repair. Even as a non-FFL, you can mail it through USPS.

That's true. But, unfortunately, many of the post offices don't know that you can ship a long gun back for repair.  Even with the postal regulations in-hand, the local post office didn't want to ship.  It wasn't until I mentioned contacting the post master general that I was able to get anything done.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

Adk.IBO

For those who want to know the new cylinder, timing service and return shipping, for a Pug is $75. Plus shipping to them.

WECSOG

Quote from: Adk.IBO on November-09-18 10:11
For those who want to know the new cylinder, timing service and return shipping, for a Pug is $75. Plus shipping to them.

Thanks! That's good to know.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

Adk.IBO

I took a piece of string and tied my Pug around my neck to get an idea of how it would be. It's not for me so the neck holster is a no go. Anybody curious I can recommend the string method...