NAA Mini LR vs. Magnum

Started by Gun1, November-17-18 19:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Gun1

As some of you have already probably read I've recently bought a NAA mini LR short barrel. However, I'm being tempted to also buy the Magnum short barreled version, which I'll probably do so anyways at some point :), but my local gun shops don't have these on display although they can order them for me. So I'm wondering what the size difference of these two really is. Does anyone own both that could do a size comparison and overlay for me? Thanks

smokeless joe

This might help. The magnum and lr across from each other gives you a little perspective.

bill_deshivs

The magnum framed mini revolvers are getting close to the size of much better defense guns.

theysayimnotme

The magnum grip gives you a little more to hold onto. I would personally prefer the barrel be a bit longer than the minimum as most of what you are paying for in magnum cartridges is wasted.

RICKS PLACE

Being a B/W and or Pug fan settles me on the Mag frame.  I have rather large hands and cannot get any kind of hold on a LR frame.  Folks I know with smaller hands prefer the Mag frames also.  While many will not agree with me, I only consider the minis last ditch defense always with me items.  I'm not going to hunt, try to shoot snakes, or target with them. While I have used snake shot to run off woodpeckers,  I carry mag ammo 40-50 grain for up close and personal.  Any thing with less than 40 grain bullets are for rifle length barrels. 

Warthog

OK, I have large hands as well, but the smaller LR/Short frame also fires an easy round without a lot of "kick" IMO so I can hold on to them BUT I LOVE my BLack Widow!
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

top dog

Gun1,
As you can see,it is basically what you seem to like best and what suits you needs.

What one person may like might not be the best for the next person.

If you can,go to your local range,see if anyone there has one that you are thinking about so you can see it first hand.

No matter which NAA you choose,they are all great.

Top Dog

SteveZ-FL

I have owned two minis for many years: a.22LR and .a 22WMR, both with 1 1/8 barrel lengths. Have changed the grips on both, as I found the stock grips being nonfunctional. The .22LR has a folding grip and the .22WMR has the oversized rubber grips.  More often than not, the .22WMR is the pocket carry, using an Uncle Mike's #2 pocket holster.

Ballistic differences aside, there are carry considerations (for me, anyway) between the two.  The .22WMR is LOUD, much louder than the .22LR.  At night there appears to be a foot of flash coming out of the .22WMR's barrel which get one's attention more dramatically than the .22LR.

There are the times (especially in shorts & t-shirt weather) that the .22LR with the folding grip and belt clip is more convenient to carry.  Being able to tuck the .22LR into the shorts' waistband and maintain total concealability has its advantages.
...SteveZ

"...you never need a gun until you need it badly" - from WEB Griffin's The Honor of Spies, and Victory and Honor.

pietro

Quote from: Gun1 on November-17-18 19:11

As some of you have already probably read I've recently bought a NAA mini LR short barrel.

However, I'm being tempted to also buy the Magnum short barreled version,

So I'm wondering what the size difference of these two really is.

Does anyone own both that could do a size comparison and overlay for me?

Thanks

Here ya go

Top to bottom: .22 Magnum frame, .22LR frame, .22 Short frame

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

riadat

I have the 1.6 inch magnum and the 1.6 inch long rifle.  The difference is mostly that the magnum cylinder is longer.

But the 1.6 magnum with pug grip, which is what I often carry, fits in a very small pocket holster and seems to be the best combination of size/usability for me.

I think the magnum will be more effective round in self defense situations, particularly if you are at contact distance.

billmeek

According to the NAA specs on the website, the magnum is 0.63 inches longer, 0.43 inches taller, 0.18 inches wider, and weighs 1.6 ounces more than the 22LR when both have the 1.13 inch barrel.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

pennsy

1.18 inch wider?I think you mean .18"

billmeek

Correct, a typing mistake. 0.18 inches wider.  Post edited to correct it.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

Warthog

There are two frames for the Minis, the LR/Short frame and the Magnum frame.

IDK and right now can't post a pic but Pietro's pic should give you an idea.

Personally, I would go with a Magnum as it is a better gun to use for SD overall.  I still feel the Black Widow is the best Mini for SD and is the one you are most likely to find on me at anytime but I admit I tend to carry  small 9mm in pocket most for SD.  Something like the Diamondback DB9 is my choice. ;)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

top dog

Warty,
Now that is a really nice piece!!!  You pack it in a IWB,or pocket holster?

What is your SD load??

I presume that it functions flawlessly.

Top Dog

Warthog

Top Dog,  I use a pocket holster (right front), I usually keep 115 gr hollow points in it because the heavier bullets I favor in larger guns kick too much.
-Albert Einstein

pietro

Quote from: Warty62 on November-18-18 22:11

There are two frames for the Minis, the LR/Short frame and the Magnum frame.

IDK and right now can't post a pic but Pietro's pic should give you an idea.

There are 3 different NAA Mini frame sizes in the pic of mine.

They can be seen as different sizes by eyeballing the 3 different length cylinders (.22S, LR & WMR) fully fill their respective cylinder frames.

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

Warthog

Yes, I asked NAA, was told grip frames were two which is what I thought he was asking about.  But yes, three when it comes to complete frame sizes. :)
-Albert Einstein