Moon Clips

Started by quickdraw, November-01-10 07:11

Previous topic - Next topic

quickdraw

Do any of your guys have moon clip experience.  I got a Ruger Sp101 in 9mm and was wanting to know what to expect with moon clips?  Also if you do have some, how do you carry the extra rounds?

sirbarkalot

They are a pain in the butt, and I have had and used the 940, 547 (did not need or use clips), and Ruger Speed six, all in 9mm at one time or another.  Best price I found on clips is from Ranch Products, and if you buy them in quantity you can get them cheap.  Buy a clip unloader.  You will wear your fingers out getting the fired rounds out of the clips without the tool.  I have had a few of the 45 ACP revolvers too and the story is the same.  The larger 45 cases are a bit easier to work with than the 9mm.  I found no confortable way to carry a loaded moon clip.  You can put two of them in a large size belt pouch made for a speed loader, but then my fingers were too big to get them out by putting a finger in the hole at the center of the clip, so it was still a struggle.  The 940 had sticky extraction problems and sometimes the 5 would not come out easily..............

Overall, it did not work as well as one would think..............

In its defense, I never had an sp101 in 9mm.  The speed six was a 6 shot medium frame and worked well.  The S&W 547 had a special extractor and did not use clips.  It was the best of them in my book.  They are big bucks now.........

heyjoe

i have a smith and wesson 940. if you put one loaded clip inside the other then you can fit both in the watchpocket of a pair of dungarees. i never had any problems with the moon clips even if they are bent a little they still work. you are going to want to buy enough of them so that you can load up ahead of time what you are planning on firing that day, this way you wont have to deal with taking the spent rounds off at the range. The 940 is 23 ounces but you can still feel the kick of the 9mm over the.38 special plus p in the same size gun.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

quickdraw

Well I got the Ruger Sp101 in 9mm in the other day.  That thing is a pleasure to shoot.  It came with 42 moon clips and they load and unload fairly easily.  I like being able to drip them out of the revolver and load back in so fast.  It sort of feels like putting in a new magazine.  This puppy is accurate.

gcwimmer

Have you ever seen Jerry Miculik using full moon clips do a reload with a Smith&Wesson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw

I have seen him live, just amazing!