1 1/8 or 1 5/8 in lr

Started by holiday009, January-12-19 09:01

Previous topic - Next topic

holiday009

How much more accurate is the longer barrel?

Is there much difference at all ? Even for pocket carry can you notice any difference?

I kinda like the idea of the 1 5/8 " for some reason.
NAA Riverboat Gambler Owner.

bearcatter

Were I to buy one, I'd prefer the muzzle being ahead of the base pin. Would keep the pin mechanism cleaner, and looks better, to me.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Biff

What Bearcatter said.  And the longer barrel looks better with the boot grip. 

holiday009

That is if the 1 5/8 is still in production, only ones I've seen locally have ben the 1 1/8

Warthog

OK, the longer barrel and accuracy, it helps but only because of the longer sight radius and it isn't much.  There is slight rise in the bullet's speed but it isn't much either.  I have a few of the short ones and they shoot fine, also the longer ones and they shoot fine too.  You've seen the picture of the collection so I am not going to post it here again.

The longer barrels look better IMO, so I tend towards those, I really want one of the case hardened look ones but right now, I can't afford one.  Those look GREAT with the engraved boot grip too.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

holiday009

grayelky

The only LR I have is the 1 1/8 barrel. In the mag frame, I have both, and the barrel length makes no difference as to ease of carry on the mag frame. I'd go for the longer barrel. The velocity difference is not much, but, it is a little more.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

holiday009

Like someone already said, I like the looks of the longer barrel better.

Dinadan

I also like the looks of the longer barrel LR. I have the 1 5/8" inch version and it is very easy to fit into any of my pockets. If you have normal size man hands you will probably need a grip that is bigger than the bird head grip that comes on it. I keep boot grips on mine. Since I do not have a short barrel version I do not have any knowledge about relative accuracy of the two LRs.

holiday009

Quote from: Dinadan on January-12-19 16:01
I also like the looks of the longer barrel LR. I have the 1 5/8" inch version and it is very easy to fit into any of my pockets. If you have normal size man hands you will probably need a grip that is bigger than the bird head grip that comes on it. I keep boot grips on mine. Since I do not have a short barrel version I do not have any knowledge about relative accuracy of the two LRs.
Thanks.

I like the look of the factory grips as well, they're not easy to manipulate but I've managed so far.

Warthog

The BugOut was LR only, they have combos now.  Mine is one of the originals but I put Diamondwood CV grips on it, it shoots easy and I like it.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

holiday009

Warthog

Thanks!  I kinda wish I had a second one too, they are good shooters IMO.  Might get one of the convertibles, then I could switch it to Magnum and carry it now and then.  It does shot nice, this one at least, and while I love my Black Widow for carry, this one is nice enough for me to use it, maybe more than the BW once I get to the point where I am more used to it.
-Albert Einstein

theysayimnotme

Since neither one has a rear sight accuracy is rather meaningless. I would prefer the longer barrel simply because of the slightly greater velocity. Unfortunately I live in the DPRK & the longer barrel is not available in either LR or mag.

Warthog

Bummer, I hope things get better for the people of California one day.

I almost moved there once with a woman who really wanted to marry me.  told her I wouldn't though because of all the guns I would need to sell before going there, already had a fair collection by then.  Told her we could live in Nevada and be close enough to her parents and family to be there in hours if something happened, she told me I either moved to Ca with her or she would find someone else.  I helped her pack and waved good bye.  She then went on a years long hate of me...mean letters and email....eventually though since I never responded, she gave up.

OOPS, tIM again. :-[
-Albert Einstein

theysayimnotme

I had one who said I had to choose between her & my cigars. Easy choice.

holiday009

Quote from: Warthog on January-12-19 18:01
Bummer, I hope things get better for the people of California one day.

I almost moved there once with a woman who really wanted to marry me.  told her I wouldn't though because of all the guns I would need to sell before going there, already had a fair collection by then.  Told her we could live in Nevada and be close enough to her parents and family to be there in hours if something happened, she told me I either moved to Ca with her or she would find someone else.  I helped her pack and waved good bye.  She then went on a years long hate of me...mean letters and email....eventually though since I never responded, she gave up.

OOPS, tIM again. :-[

That's a shame !

wero

There is a gun handling issue/potential safety issue with the 1 1/8" barrel. Because the cylinder release pin is the same length as the barrel, when you go to release the cylinder, your finger is basically in front of the muzzle. On a gun with a 1 5/8" (or longer) barrel, this is not an issue. My Mini is the 1 1/8" version, but if I were to lose the gun and buy it again, I would get one with a longer barrel.

ksblazer

I started out with 1 1\8 in .22lr

As mentioned the grips were a little too small for my liking.

Picked up the 1 5/8 combo and liked it much better.

Traded the 1 1\8 mini and added a mag pug with night sites that I got for a good value.

Don't really miss the 1 1/8 mini revolver.

Rick_Jorgenson

BOTH!

Sorry, I have an NAA problem.....

I have one of the 1 5/8" / Knife combo with a acid etch finish (I think that's what its called)

Because of my "problem"  I'm always looking for a new 1 1/8" and a 1 5/8" (New to me anyways!)

Well, back to work!
Rick Jorgenson

holiday009