Kel-Tec CP33

Started by billmeek, January-20-19 12:01

Previous topic - Next topic

billmeek

While it's not a carry pistol, I'd like to have the new Kel-Tec CP33 as a plinker.  I've often considered buying the PMR-30, which I really don't have a use for it other than range toy and would rather practice with my 9mm given the cost of 22 Mag ammo.  The CP33 however, being 22LR, would be very inexpensive to shoot and looks like it might be fun:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/01/jeremy-s/gun-review-kel-tec-cp33/
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

Warthog

Bill, many people love Keltec.  I am not one of them.  So many other brands of good, inexpensive 22LR pistols out there, so I suppose someone else will have to take this one. :)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

billmeek

Warty,

I have a couple of other 22LR pistols, besides the NAAs, that I enjoy shooting at the range.  My tricked out S&W Victory is fun, but I also enjoy the M&P 22 Compact just about as much.  I'm thinking the CP33 would be a blast for shooting steel with the large capacity mags. 
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

Warthog

No worries Bill...Hope someone who has one shows up to respond. :)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Biff

I sold my PMR 30 pretty quickly.  Love'd the gun.   Hated the magazine.   If you looked at it wrong it would rim lock on you. 

billmeek

From the review in my origional post:

QuoteThe feed lip design is such that avoiding rimlock is taken care of by the magazine and there's little for the person loading the mag to worry about. However, it makes you slide each round in deliberately, one at a time, pushed to the rear, and it's a process.

But he also said:

QuoteGood news; should you manage to rimlock a couple rounds β€” this happened to me two times over the course of about 30 magazines β€” it's usually fixable through the skeletonized sides of the magazine. Unloading the fruits of your labor isn't typically necessary. Or, just ignore a rimlocked round and sometimes it'll feed anyway or cause a stoppage that you can clear easily enough.
Bill

Bj

Any thoughts on the Keltec CMR-30?

billmeek

Bj,

For a plinking rifle the CMR-30 could be fun.  When I was considering one, I read many posts that were negative.  One of the local guys loves his but admits he has to keep it clean for it to run well and you have to be careful loading the mags.

What I'd like to see is a kit that allows you to swap the CP33 into a carbine and back to a pistol. 
Bill

Biff

For the PMR30 or CMR30, I would like to see a more dependable 10 or 15 round magazine. 

This 22lr one seems like it would be a hoot to shoot.

linux_author

interesting pistol (with ambidextrous safety?), but i'm going to predict problems with the magazine, especially considering the dirty wax lube of cheap .22LR...

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

billmeek

It looks like the butt plate can be removed to clean the mags as necessary.  The tester fired a "few thousand rounds" without problems with lube in the mags.
Bill

PaducahMichael

For .22lr plinking, I like my Walther PPKs. It's got a 10 round magazine - wish it had more capacity but I love shooting this one!
"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."

Warthog

Plinking for me, I love my venerable P22.
-Albert Einstein

Biff

I like my Talo Ruger 22/45 slab-side for plinking. 

billmeek

Favorite plinking pistol is my S&W Victory after a few upgrades:

Bill

Warthog

Ruger Mark IV with a bull barrel and these cool wooden grips would be my newest favorite to shoot/plink/shoot little vermin...etc. 8)
-Albert Einstein

autofull

give me time warty, i love kel-tec. he is a relative of mine.  oopps, sorry cousin. i did not use yer name though george. oh crap, i did it again.  sorry. when i git mine i will call ya warty.  kevin.

Warthog

Call me my name as it is, in life if you want to because I have told more than aa few folks here my real name.  I am not hiding. ;)

I have owned a lot of KelTecs, probably about 100 different models, the idea I needed to "Fluff and Buff anything from the box to make it reliable enough to use for self defense made me wonder.  Now, I was only a gun repair person for around 15 years, so you have me beat in experience by far...but I am not really a fan nor will I ever be a fan of the KelTec products. (I put the bayo lug on the SU16C, they were made during the Clinton Ban, so when it sunset, I found a guy who machined me the lug, then I fitted it to the barrel, it has a slight taper which made that a real PITA)

There are two I own yet, one of the 556/223 pistols they made, PLR16. And a rifle, the SU-16C I got in a trade from a guy and was not able to sell for a decent amount so I kept it.  In time I even started to like it.  Now, the rifle and the pistol both say that to dry fire these means breaking a firing pin, even if you click it on an empty magazine since the do not lock open.  I load a snap cap for the last round, have now since I got them.

Remember these came out when most if not all firearms manufacturers had figured out a way to allow dry firing, even a rimfire weapon, without damage.  So, niether of these firearms are something I would grab if things got bad. 8)
-Albert Einstein

autofull

ok there gary my friend. im glad that ya have some guy, kevin.

Warthog

but unlikely to have more and when these fail, and they will, I am likely to sell off what is left for parts rather than repair them.
-Albert Einstein

billmeek

Thanks off the link.

The CP33 is supposed to start shipping next week, but full production doesn't start until May.  I've also read that they built up some inventory before Shotshow.  I don't know any specifics on numbers, but my wild guess is they wanted enough to get them in reviewers hands asap in order to keep the news momentum up.
Bill

Canoeal

"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

MR_22

I checked out the CP33 at the SHOT Show today in Vegas and I was impressed. I hadn't seen it before, so it was completely new to me. I've liked Kel-Tec since around 1998, when I bought my first P11. A few years ago, I bought a discontinued P40. I also have a PLR-22 and an SU-22, based on the AR platforms. I know some people hate them, but I think they're quite decent.

I liked that the CP33 is suppressor ready. I might get one.

billmeek

MR_22,

Did you by chance get a chance to try out the trigger pull on the CP33? 
Bill

bill_deshivs

I carry Keltec P32 serial number 117.
It hasn't failed yet!

RogueTS1

Mr. 22; did you get a chance to give Kel Tec's new shotgun a once over? The single barreled one?
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

MR_22

I'm sorry, I didn't, Bill.  I guess my built-in aversion from pulling the trigger on .22LR guns just unconsciously prevented me from doing itβ€” although no sample guns allowed on the SHOT Show floor can have a firing pin.

billmeek

No problem.  I've read articles stating it has a good trigger. I'd prefer the input of someone who doesn't do reviews for a living.
Bill