Saw this video on reinstalling the cylinder on a 22 mini

Started by Bernie707, February-04-19 21:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernie707

As a new owner of a 22LR NAA mini I'm still practicing replacing the cylinder into the frame. I saw this on YouTube and it's pretty slick. I haven't got it down as good as he seems to and You'll notice he removes and replaces the cylinder with the hammer in the down position unlike the manual instructions. Anybody do it this way?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AAAJLcSpiPc
If you're not swimming against the current you're being carried along with it.

Uncle_Lee

Hammer at half cock or it will hit the cylinder while you are installing the cylinder.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Warthog

Bernie, I always put the hammer to half cocked, I suppose you could also slightly pull it back some so it would clear the cylinder but IDK how he would be able to put one in with the hammer all the way down. ???
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

mrmurl

I use that method all the time.  Before I read the instructions I had to play with it.  That was the way I did it then and it worked so well that I just kept doing that way even after reading the instructions.  It just seems to lay in there that way.  Good luck with how ever you put the cylinder in, just be safe. 
A gun is like a parachute; if you need it and don't have it, you probably won't need it again.

grayelky

Never thought about doing it that way. Seems like a good idea, as you don't have to move the hammer on a loaded cylinder.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Bernie707

Quote from: uncle_lee on February-05-19 05:02
Hammer at half cock or it will hit the cylinder while you are installing the cylinder.

The first time I tried it, (hammer down) it worked but in other attempts The bottom of the cylinder often caught on the piece at the box of the frame that rotates the cylinder when the hammer is fully cocked as Uncle Lee mentioned. It was hit and miss.

miker

The video is the way I always loaded mine too. I hated having to move the hammer around with loaded rounds in there. Much safer doing it like the video.

Just think of what you're doing... you need to "roll" the cylinder in so that the tip of the hammer goes right into one of the safety notches as the cylinder enters the frame. Roughly center the cylinder and put the center pin in.

After doing it a few times it seems dead easy. I always rolled the cylinder in from the right.

FWIW, early on I had a few weird lock-ups with my 22LR mini, where the hammer wouldn't cock and the cylinder wouldn't turn, literally jammed up. Once I started loading this way I never had another problem. I think moving the hammer and holding the trigger while rotating the cylinder was sometimes putting it into an "undocumented" state.

miker

Warthog

I too have put the cylinders in with the hammer down.  It isn't too hard so sometimes I do it just because...but the way I do it most is to put the hammer on half cock, because it is easier.  HOWEVER, I also will say that you should do yours the way you like because it is YOURS! 8)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

grayelky

I tried this for numerous times today with both a brand new mini, and my LR I have had for over 40 years. I had no problem getting the hammer rolled into the safety notch, but I never did get the bolt to give way and let the cylinder roll on into the frame opening. I will work with this some more. Any suggestions as to what I am missing, please post away. I even went back and watched the video a couple of time, just in case I missed something, but I don't think I did/am.

RogueTS1

Yes Grayelky; you have not worn the hammer or bolt down enough by doing it incorrectly. Keep forcing it and eventually you mini's parts will be worn enough to do it reliably. It may not fire or time correctly but you will be able to place the cylinder without using the half cock position.  :o ::) ;)
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

grayelky

Rogue-
I kinda suspected that, which is why I got the LR out of the safe. I assure you, that one has been fired a good bit. I will try again, but suspect I will abandon this method. I like the concept, it just does not work for me. How can I try to teach my customers this, if I can't do it?

ikoiko

When I look at the firing "pin", I can't tell if it's worn, or just dirty.

bearcatter

Always read the instructions. Do what the instructions tell you to do. Otherwise you can hurt the gun, yourself, or even bystanders. Companies don't print manuals to just look nice in the box.......
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Bernie707

Quote from: grayelky on February-07-19 20:02
I tried this for numerous times today with both a brand new mini, and my LR I have had for over 40 years. I had no problem getting the hammer rolled into the safety notch, but I never did get the bolt to give way and let the cylinder roll on into the frame opening. I will work with this some more. Any suggestions as to what I am missing, please post away. I even went back and watched the video a couple of time, just in case I missed something, but I don't think I did/am.

Gravelky, I agree. I watched the video several times and couldn't find some hidden trick. Nice concept but I'm hit and miss when I try it. I posted a comment to that effect but haven't heard back yet.

miker

FWIW, my mini was fairly new, not worn in any way. I'm reasonably mechanical (can split motorcycle engine cases and reassemble gearbox, etc) and I know I wasn't forcing anything or using undue effort. This worked really well on mine and I'm surprised that others are having trouble. Obviously there's a wildcard in here somewhere.

miker

Bigbird48

I've never had a problem doing it the right way, its easy and works. Why mess around trying to line up a notch and what ever? ::)

grayelky

My guess is it depends on the individual gun. While I am no where near as mechanical as miker, I know the difference in a ratchet and a posthole digger. (Well, 2 out of 3 times, anyway.) I have only tried on the 2 minis. I currently have about 7 or 8 in the shop, and, just for experimental effort, I will try all of them next week and report back.

If the bolt would give way, just a little, this would be a much easier method for those new to the mini to learn. It also does not require the hammer to cocked back and lowered. There are some pretty unco-ordinated people out there.

pennsy

Doesn't work with mine without forcing it. I'll stick with the old way.