Not quite a mini

Started by Rigemortis, February-14-19 22:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Rigemortis

I know it's not a naa.

I picked up something small tonight. But its still hard to compare it to the mini.

A S&W 340 in .357 mag 13.3 or 13.4 oz

Standard lr    4.6 oz
Magnum        6.2 oz

So not exactly apples to apples, but worth a share.

Uncle Fatso

I carry something similar sometimes. A S&W 442. 

Warthog

I carry either a 9mm LCR or my SP101 357mag.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Canoeal

Wrong section. Try 'other guns'.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

RICKS PLACE

I had one of those.  Now have a 642 that I sometimes carry if I am out overnight in a strange town/motel.   Yours is a good weapon, do not recommend magnum ammo.   Felt I was hitting myself with a hammer with anything more than standard 38 sp ammo.  I have become recoil shy in my old age, use something like "critical defense" low recoil in my 642.   I usually have my Pug close at hand when I carry the 642. 

Warthog

I have a little S&W 38, it was my uncle's when he was a detective.  That mostly stays home, I don't want to lose or damage it more than it already is because it was my uncles.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

holiday009

Can't go wrong with a trusty S&W revolver  8)
NAA Riverboat Gambler Owner.

Rigemortis

Warthog,

Does your 38sp have a hammer? I really wanted a hammer version but this was used, and that's the only way to get this model in California, so I jumped on it.

A week latter I saw an aluminum (not scandium alloy) 357 in a shop with a hammer (new). I kinda wish i had gotten that one. I didn't realize it was available in my state.

However, this one has night sights. And the fact that is generally unavailable has me happy with my purchase. I'd like to get it to the range this weekend.

Also I'll try to compare it to a naa magnum for size one day.

heyjoe

Quote from: Rigemortis on February-16-19 08:02
Warthog,

Does your 38sp have a hammer? I really wanted a hammer version but this was used, and that's the only way to get this model in California, so I jumped on it.

A week latter I saw an aluminum (not scandium alloy) 357 in a shop with a hammer (new). I kinda wish i had gotten that one. I didn't realize it was available in my state.

However, this one has night sights. And the fact that is generally unavailable has me happy with my purchase. I'd like to get it to the range this weekend.

Also I'll try to compare it to a naa magnum for size one day.

Smith and wesson doesnt make  an aluminum frame .357. it would either have to be a 38 or have some scandium in it.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

Warthog

Mine is a steel frame and while it had a hammer, I was a gunsmith and I replaced it with a bobbed hammer.

Pic below of my uncle's guns and the cuffs he carried, these were left to me.  Both revolvers are 38 spls.
-Albert Einstein

Honky Tonk Man

Here's the Scandium version.  S&W 340 PD in .357 / .38 Spl.  Very easy to carry, but not much fun for plinking @ 11.4 oz.  My Dad carried one just like it until he passed, but my brother ended up with his. 

Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

linux_author

Quote from: Canoeal on February-15-19 21:02
Wrong section. Try 'other guns'.

to be fair, there is a pic of a mini in there - quite the difference in sizes! i'm sure the Smith is a fine revolver...

oh, and i just found out what that safety lock on the Smith is called...

but i won't post it here in polite company

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

holiday009

Quote from: Warthog on February-16-19 10:02
Mine is a steel frame and while it had a hammer, I was a gunsmith and I replaced it with a bobbed hammer.

Pic below of my uncle's guns and the cuffs he carried, these were left to me.  Both revolvers are 38 spls.

Really nice wheelguns, it's hard to beat the blueing on a S&W.
NAA Riverboat Gambler Owner.

Rigemortis

https://youtu.be/I4GtXq2XXOI

This was a very useful video on trigger jobs. Not naa related. I proformed a very conservative version of this on my m&p today and it had a large impact on smoothing out the action. There was a lot of lipping on the sides of the parts causing gouging on the inner frame walls. I was pretty discusted with s&w for putting such rough and damaging parts inside this peice.