Gusardian 32 problems

Started by learning everyday, April-02-19 05:04

Previous topic - Next topic

learning everyday

I recently bought a slightly used Guardian 32.  First pocket gun.  I took it to the range and had FTE and stovepipe issues at least every other round.  I found the slide to be extremely heavy.  I came home, took it apart and removed the inner slide spring leaving only the outer spring and end plate.  Took it back to the range, ran 100 rounds without any hiccups whatsoever.  Not sure how using only one slide spring will affect the gun over time, or how long the remaining spring will last.  The slide feels like it has the appropriate spring pressure base on my experience with my other guns.  All thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

bill_deshivs

Put both springs back in the gun, and get a new magazine.

bearcatter

First, 100 rounds with no hiccups pretty much rules out an extractor problem. It's jerking those empties out of the chamber just fine.

Second, the Guardians don't have ejectors. They depend on the nose of the next cartridge to bump the empty out. When the mag is empty, sometimes the empty brass from the last shot gets trapped and you have a stovepipe. That happens to me less than 10% of the time.

Third, shooting your Guardian with one recoil spring is rough on the gun. It was designed for two. On the NAA site, you can read/download/print the owner's manual if you don't have it.

https://northamericanarms.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/ownersg.pdf

It will say that the small, red colored end of the larger recoil spring goes toward the muzzle. Smaller spring goes inside. Your "end plate" is the recoil spring guide, looks like a nail. The point goes in the muzzle end of the nested recoil springs. Do the springs look okay, no bends or kinks?

My Guardian 32 is a bit hard to rack the slide. Seems harder because you don't have much to hold onto. And in a small gun, small recoil springs have to do the same work as the springs in a larger gun. So they are stiffer.

If you're sure it's clean, well lubed, and assembled right (two springs); and still misbehaves; give NAA a call.

EDIT, for bill_deshivs post: New magazine, maybe. But he doesn't say it fails to feed.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Ruger

Hey . . . EVERYDAY . . . . WELCOME to the Forum!  We appreciate new thinking and questions.  And we LOVE pictures.  So don't be a lurker; reload and step up to the firing line often.  We need your opinions, stories, and range reports.  Looking forward to you in the mix.  We need the change!

Oh, and sorry, but I just can't offer anything concerning the Guardian.  I don't own one; never shot one.  But this is the place for the answers!!
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.