Where to buy ammo

Started by barrytheprof, April-26-19 17:04

Previous topic - Next topic

barrytheprof

What's the cheapest place to buy ammo online, including shipping? How's their selection?

Warthog

SGammo is where I go for bulk ammo.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Dinadan

I have not done a careful review lately, but based on my experience Sportsman's Guide is pretty cheap. I expect you can probably find any particular ammo cheaper somewhere else if you look hard, but that is a good place to start. Selection is pretty good. I have also ordered from AmmoToGo and from Lohman Arms. A particular ammo may be cheaper at one than the others, but over all I do not think you will find a lot of difference.

Some places, or maybe all, will have an option for requiring a signature upon delivery. Unless you are home all the time, make sure that box is not checked.

Canoeal

I use ammoseek. They tell you who has what and the price. You can sort it to get exactly what you want.

https://ammoseek.com
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

barrytheprof

Thanks all. I haven't seen any of these.

MR_22

Quote from: Canoeal on April-26-19 21:04
I use ammoseek. They tell you who has what and the price. You can sort it to get exactly what you want.

https://ammoseek.com

Yup, I use AmmoSeek. Finds you the best prices. I always check for reviews on sellers listed there, though, if I haven't ordered from them before. It's a great source, especially for finding uncommon ammo.

autofull

i still use my buddy local gunshop discount.always wholesale. yeah.

Warthog

For small amounts I go to my lgs.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Ruger

As Warty, I like to buy bulk ammo from SGAmmo.  Unlike other sites, the box does not arrive with the word AMMO printed in 4" high letters for the carrier and porch thieves to see.  they ship in plain brown boxes; vary discrete . . .except for the weight!  BTW, porch thieves have to walk away with these packages; there is no runnin' away with it!
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

Boisesteve

For a few boxes of 22LR or mag, my nearest store, which in this case is D&B Supply in Boise.
For larger purchases, Ammoseek, where I found LAX Ammo who reload .38/.357 for my big Ruger.
We live in a very small condo, with no room for reloading stuff.  But I keep thinking I can get a
multipurpose bookcase for our little third room, with a press bolted to the top.  An interesting
decoration... that's what I'll call it... nope, swambo no like.  I'll keep buying reloads, I guess.
Steve in Boise

barrytheprof

Maybe you can split the cost of the press with a friend and keep it at his house. Just a thought. Don't tell swmbo.

Canoeal

I only use ammoseek to find Gold Dot or Hornady ftx, The rest I buy at one of two LGSs. None stock the SD ammo in 22 mag. I have used SGA too, but use two or three I can check on ammoseek.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

barrytheprof

Canoeal, I used ammoseek 2 nights ago to search for specific types of 410 ammo. What a great resource.

It's slim pickin's locally. The LGSs around here are either too small to stock much and unwilling to order stuff that will sit on their shelves, or it's a big box store (like GanderSports) that doesn't really care what you want. They have what they have, and that's it.

That works if you just want something to shoot, but I'm still working out the best self defense rounds for my calibers. I need to try specific types (models?)

I found that 000 buck spreads too quickly in my 3" judge. At 10' the spread was about 6" to 8", but at 15' the spread goes to 12" to 16". The hallway in my home that forms my 'buffer' is about 20' long, so I'd like to find shells that hold their pattern to at least 15'. I've got three different types coming in a few days that may do better.

LHB

Boise, several/many years ago the American Rifleman ran a series on compact loading setups.   At the time I was in a 48 foot trailer, and the one I picked to use was a 1x3 foot base of 3/4 inch plywood, 1 foot x 1 foot shelf, two pipe flanges, and a piece of 1 1/2 inch pipe.  Takes apart for storage.   They also showed cabinets built into closets or armoires so nothing was showing in the room.

RogueTS1

Progressive reloader in the shop is King. Even at today's low ammo prices I can still beat the cost by a bit. I can reload about 100 rounds every 11 minutes or so. The ammo really stacks up doing so and I do not feel bad about shooting up my supply knowing I can simply reload another few hundred in a few minutes.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

linux_author

i used all these: Targetsportsusa (mostly), Cheaperthandirt (sometimes), thesportsmansguide (sometimes), outdoorlimited (got burned on a case of bad .38SPL)

i like shooting a lot of rimfire, so i usually buy in 1,000- or 3,000-round lots..

i will never buy from 'Richard's' Sporting Goods (you all know who i mean), or Cabelas, and i will never buy Federal rimfire again...

(Cabelas is no longer the great outdoor company it was 20 years ago and censors negative product reviews, and Federal's bulk rimfire is charlie romeo alpha papa - Vista blew me off on the phone twice for a warranty call)

interestingly, Remington Goldens .22LR and Subsonic is now pretty good (at least for me)

just my $0.02

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

Boisesteve

Barry, I don't have any friends nearby who reload.  It's a good thought, but won't work for me.
LHB, thanks for that suggestion.  A small take-apart shelf (or folding table if it were small enough) could fit into our single garage and get set up to use only when I need it, and I've seen small folding work tables at HDepot and Harbor Freight. Gonna see what I can find of that American Rifleman article too. Those are good ideas, thanks.
Steve in Boise 

barrytheprof

Thanks Willie, I'm adding those to my search list.

Boisesteve

thanks LHB, your comment sent me off on a search that turned up a ready-made small wooden stand at Brownells, and some images for others that look to be easily home built.  Son-in-law has an excellent wood shop and the requisite skillset, I'm a willing gofer.  I hope he'll have time this summer.
Steve in Boise

Canoeal

Something like this with a solid top, not slats? Height is adjustable by lengthening the legs...it folds in half. Or do you need a portable workbench?

LHB

To work a press need work bench, sturdy table, or the pipe stand.

Canoeal

This work table comes apart. I take it to shows...6' x 30"  x 38" high

Here is one very similar to mine...https://www.woodcraft.com/products/sjobergs-nordic-plus-1450-workbench?via=573621f669702d06760016d6%2C576455f669702d2f2f0013a4

Boisesteve

something like this looks like it'd fit our place (but I haven't taken the reloading class yet, so ??)
Steve in Boise

Canoeal

Bj

Smallest reloading setups are by Lee as far as I know, some for pistols and some for rifles.  I think it is meant for using a set of brass in only one barrel as there is limited resizing as I understand it.

https://leeprecision.com/reloading-kits/lee-loader-pistol/

jennflip

Finally took NAAs advice and tried Federal lr in my Ranger11 and worked fantastic on ejection(finally)
    Cabelas--on sale--Federal lr 1600 rds--83$--free shipping

Ruger

My portable shooting table - good for loading 'em up & leaning on for those long range rifle shots . . . . folds up, fits in the trunk, and can be used to help carry the range bag and other needed toys out on the range.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.