Time to update ballistic tables?

Started by pvq, June-21-19 05:06

Previous topic - Next topic

pvq

Hello All,

Long time NAA fan and lurker. I rarely post, but I thought I might very respectfully suggest that with the advent of 22WMR self defense ammunition and the varied barrel lengths available in the newest NAA mini revolvers, perhaps its time to update the ballistic tables on the main page to include the most commonly available SD loads and barrel lengths ? Foot Pounds of energy at, lets say 10 feet would be appreciated also.

I am sure that what I am asking for is much more of an undertaking than it seems, but I for one would very much like to know the difference in muzzle velocity/ ft pounds of energy between my current Pug and my soon to be acquired Ranger II between Hornady Critical Defense, Speer Gold Dot and Winchester PDX 22 WMR ammo. I have to think that would be very valuable information to any prospective NAA customers who have questions about the efficacy of these wonderful little revolvers.

I can't be the only one....

Dinadan

I agree that ballistic tables on NAA's site are kind of old.
Link here:

https://northamericanarms.com/ballistics/

I would like to see the tables updated, and with the 1" Pug and the 2.5" Sidewinder and the 3" Earl included.

Canoeal

I would like them to add the ballistic numbers for  Gold Dots and Hornady CD...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

bearcatter

I find them lacking in that they only give velocity. I think there is a formula for using velocity and bullet weight to determine muzzle energy? Some day I'll Google it.....
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Dinadan

Quote from: bearcatter on June-22-19 06:06
I find them lacking in that they only give velocity. I think there is a formula for using velocity and bullet weight to determine muzzle energy? Some day I'll Google it.....
No need to Google it. NAA provides a link to a Table of Bullet Energy right on the Ballistics page. The link is just below list of firearms.  Here is a reduced size copy of part of the table.

bearcatter

Thanks for that. I had not paid attention to it being there. I have saved it in my Word program.

Shows a 32 Guardian loses about 30% energy compared to the longer barrels (4 inch?) used on standard .32 ACP ballistic charts.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Floridave

For $80 you can do better than that and get ACTUAL velocities right from your own guns and ammo👍

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/626107/caldwell-ballistic-precision-chronograph

bearcatter

Just general info for comparison is enough for me. There's enough variation in ammo from the same box to make precise numbers kinda pointless. Chronographs are very useful for reloaders, though.

Floridave

Hi Bearcatter,  I wasn't directing this at you specifically that you needed a chronograph, just making the observation that it's really not an expensive or difficult proposition these days to get your own accurate velocity data. I've used mine for archery, airguns, and reloading info as you mentioned, a lot of times learning things I wouldn't have by reading other folks or companies charts.

bearcatter

No problem, Floridave. For me, a chronograph is something like a trigger pull gauge. I'm not planning to buy any more guns, so I'd check them all once and not need it any more.

Canoeal

I can get the information from other sources, so no useless buying for me. Just a pain hunting for it.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke