Bond Arms Derringers

Started by rattlehead, July-15-19 13:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry treefish

Always keep my TD in a holster, even in a coat pocket.

Terry treefish

Yesterday morning the temp was around 42 degrees, cold for south west Georgia.  I holstered my Texas Defender in a belt holster, covered over by a jacket, and headed for Wal Mart to pick up some hooks and a minnow bucket.  I knew by the weight I was carrying my TD, but I realized I could carry it all day without discomfort or annoyance. 

I find carrying my TD a lot more comfortable than my Taurus 38 Special revolver.  Just for gp's, I also holstered in my back pocket my G 32acp.  Overkill?  Perhaps.  I don't do it out of fear, just caution.

top dog

Terry,
For my Bond Texas defender,I have several holsters to use depending on the attire for the day.

I also have 9 bbls for it and found that if I am using the 45 acp bbl,a very nice spare cartridge holder in the form of a 1903 Springfield stripper clip works just fine.  Holds five cartridges in a nice neat small package.

Top Dog

Terry treefish

Nine barrels?  Whoa.....that's some serious stuff.  It's obvious you love your TD.  Good for you and what makes you happy.  I'm sure you earned it.

I only own the original barrel.   If Bond Arms should ever retail a 32 barrel, then I'm all in. 

top dog

Terry,
I know that Bond does offer barrels for the H&R 32 Mag and maybe the 327 Mag but I do not know if they offer bbls for the 32 acp if that is what you are looking for.

Top Dog

Terry treefish

Top Dog, I actually telephoned Bond Arms (nice folks), asked about a 32acp barrel, and was told not at this time.  With that in mind, I am thinking of calling them again.

top dog

Terry,
The folks at Bond Arms are super nice with superb customer service.

Some years ago,the safety on my Texas Defender rotated. I called them and was told to send just the frame in.

Maybe a little more than a week later,I had the TD back.......no charge.

A few years ago,a Texas Twister came waltzing through Granbury Texas and flattened their Church. They put out a call for donations to help with the replacement and I sent them a donation.  Not a lot but hopefully it would help.

Hope they come out with a 32 acp bbl for you.

Top Dog

Terry treefish

Thanks, Top Dog.  Maybe so in the future.
Also, thanks for sharing your experiences with the community and also Bonds Arms.

top dog

Teryy,
Thank you for the compliment.  That is what this forum is all about..

Top Dog

rattlehead

Quote from: Terry treefish on November-01-20 17:11

Gave up metal detecting after basically ruining my hands from digging hundreds of holes.  2000 pennies is only $20, but it's also 2000 holes.

True, but there's also silver coins, gold jewelry and amazing relics mixed in with those pennies when you're on a good permission. I absolutely LOVE metal detecting. Been doing it since the late 80s.

jstert

Quote from: top dog on November-06-20 08:11
Terry,
I know that Bond does offer barrels for the H&R 32 Mag and maybe the 327 Mag but I do not know if they offer bbls for the 32 acp if that is what you are looking for.

Top Dog

hi i was specifically informed by b.a. not to shoot 32acp out of its 327mag barrel, 32h&r, 32s&w long and 32s&w short are ok.  now if i could just find a 327mag barrel, b.a. seems to no longer sell direct to consumers.

top dog

JSTERT,
From what I understand,there are certain states that Bond will not send their bbls to,you have to go through a dealer.

See if your LGS will contact Bond and order the 327 mag bbl for you.

Top Dog

Terry treefish

Quote from: rattlehead on November-21-20 09:11
Quote from: Terry treefish on November-01-20 17:11

Gave up metal detecting after basically ruining my hands from digging hundreds of holes.  2000 pennies is only $20, but it's also 2000 holes.

True, but there's also silver coins, gold jewelry and amazing relics mixed in with those pennies when you're on a good permission. I absolutely LOVE metal detecting. Been doing it since the late 80s.

You are absolutely right.  I did find a number of rings and some silver.  My 18 yr old granddaughter said at the table Sunday night:  "Hey Papa, I still love my ring, wear it every day."  Gave it to her a few years ago.

With severe arthritis in both hands, it was a choice of giving up metal detecting, or stringed instruments.  Unfortunately, strings are my nemesis now.  My great passion, and now it appears I'll finish my life with my trusty harmonicas.  Never heard of arthritic mouths.

rattlehead

Quote from: Terry treefish on November-24-20 14:11

You are absolutely right.  I did find a number of rings and some silver.  My 18 yr old granddaughter said at the table Sunday night:  "Hey Papa, I still love my ring, wear it every day."  Gave it to her a few years ago.

With severe arthritis in both hands, it was a choice of giving up metal detecting, or stringed instruments.  Unfortunately, strings are my nemesis now.  My great passion, and now it appears I'll finish my life with my trusty harmonicas.  Never heard of arthritic mouths.

Gotta love seeing the glint of silver or gold when you pop out a plug.

Old age pain is starting to take it's toll on me too. Due to my worn out knees and back, I don't get out nearly as much as I used to.

Terry treefish

One could say that getting old and being old is a shame.  Why must it happen.  However, as I crawl out of bed in the mornings, sitting until I get my bearings,  I always set to myself and to my wife if she is within earshot;  "Hey, it's a fine morning to be me."  And I find that to be so true. 

Metal detecting is for sure a wonderful challenging hobby.   I hope you can continue to dig for many more years.  Hey, I kept my best pointer and a couple of ol chespos.  Still have two Low cost MD that I found at a yard sale.  Great for Collecting nails and spent shells  around the house in the backyard.

Even shot my Texas a Defender twice this morning (410) while up the river.  One thing I've learned with this weapon,  "It ain't no target shooter."   Ouch ouch.

rattlehead

Thanks Terry. I hope to continue enjoying the hobby for a while longer. Might have to train one of my Grandkids to do the digging for me soon though. :)

Yessir, these big bore derringers sure can put a whipping on your hand! Especially with the .410 shells!

LHB

Hate to be a downer, but I was told in an anthropology class 55 years ago, that the human body is only designed to last thirty years, and after that everything starts drying out and falling off, and darned if I don;t think that statement is true, at least in my case.

Terry treefish

Actually, around 400 years ago and beyond, a human at age 30 was a senior citizen.  Not much in the way of serious medicine.  Heck, look what happened to George Washington, the physicians of the day tried to bleed the bad stuff out of his body.  Tooth decay & other general bad hygiene killed off many, way before their heart gave out. 

I'm glad me and my family are living today in this century. 

Anyways, I still love my "painful" Texas Defender.  A great out and about weapon.  I've reached for it a many a time. 

top dog

Terry,

It is not "painful",it is really "true love" Just like your better half letting you know who is the boss!!!

I have seen and tried other derringers,in my opinion the Bond derringers are the best.

Top Dog

Terry treefish

mic214

I just picked up a Roughneck in 9mm. I plan to get a .410/.45 Colt barrel and a larger set of grips for it...

top dog

Mic,
That is super nice.  Let us know how the range session goes.

You will be more than happy with your choice..

Top Dog

mic214

The .410/.45 Colt barrel and larger grips arrived the other day:

heyjoe

when are they bringing back the 44 magnum barrels
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

top dog

Mic214,
That outfit looks super nice. I bet that the larger grips will afford you better recoil control with the 410 rounds.

The bbl,is that for 2.5  or 3 inch shells??

I found that the recoil with the 3 inch is noticeable but not severe being that it is absorbed in the palm of your hand

Top Dog

mic214

Quote from: top dog on February-14-21 08:02
Mic214,
That outfit looks super nice. I bet that the larger grips will afford you better recoil control with the 410 rounds.

The bbl,is that for 2.5  or 3 inch shells??

I found that the recoil with the 3 inch is noticeable but not severe being that it is absorbed in the palm of your hand

Top Dog

The barrel is 3-1/2" long, so it will handle 3" .410 shells. I do like the longer grip, in addition to helping out with recoil it also makes it easier to pull the trigger on this beast!

top dog

Mic,
The trigger pull on the Bond Derringers is a bit unique.  It is not straight back but rather slanting downward.

Try that with snap caps(they do not reccomend dry firing) and you will notice the improvement.

Top Dog

mic214

Quote from: top dog on February-17-21 06:02
Mic,
The trigger pull on the Bond Derringers is a bit unique.  It is not straight back but rather slanting downward.

Try that with snap caps(they do not reccomend dry firing) and you will notice the improvement.

Top Dog

TD,

This is my second Bond Arms derringer, my first was a standard Snake Slayer, so it came with the longer grip. I never noticed the trigger pull issue with that one (Which I foolishly sold off a few years back!). With this Roughneck with the smaller grips, the downward slanting trigger pull issue is more pronounced (For the lack of a better term).

Now, however, with the new longer grips installed the trigger pull is much better. I made a pair of snap caps out of some once fired .45 Colt brass that I re-sized and I have been practicing with them. 

I am waiting for the weather to let up so I can take this beast out to the range...... ;D

top dog

Glad to hear that you have the issue taken care.

Hopefully,the weather will clear up for you so you can take it out and test it.

Right now,the snow here ( I call it aggw  al gore global warming) is pretty much thigh deep with more on the way.

I might see the lawn (and range) by July.........maybe

Top Dog

top dog

Mic214,
If I may suggest,call Bond Arms and order 2 (three's better) hinge pins.

If (or should I say when) you lose a hinge pin,things come to a screeching halt until you get a new one.

Better to have spare on hand just in case.  Also get another allen wrench or two to have in your kit just in case.

Top Dog

mic214

Quote from: top dog on February-19-21 10:02
Mic214,
If I may suggest,call Bond Arms and order 2 (three's better) hinge pins.

If (or should I say when) you lose a hinge pin,things come to a screeching halt until you get a new one.

Better to have spare on hand just in case.  Also get another allen wrench or two to have in your kit just in case.

Top Dog

That is a great idea....Thanks for the tip!

mic214

I picked up a 3" .38spl/.357 mag barrel set for my Derringer. I think I need to get a Pelican case to pack everything in when I head out to the range... ;D

top dog

Mic214,
That looks like a nice set up.

The Pelican case idea sounds good.  MTM makes some nice cases and I have one to store the extra bbl,hinge pins and stuff for my Bond.

Top Dog.

Helcat1

Well, thanks to you guys, I've really caught the little gun bug.  Just a couple of weeks ago, I bought my first NAA gun, a Pug, and although I was having keyholing issues, I liked it so much, that I ordered a Black Widow.  Well, yesterday when I went to my LGS to pick up the BW, I saw this "little" beauty in the case, and wouldn't you know it, it followed me home too!  Mind you, I had just been looking through this Bond Arms thread the other day, salivating over the guns posted here, with no real thought of buying one, but after seeing this one in person, I couldn't resist!  I bought it "used" with original case and paperwork, although it sure looks like it's never been used.

Oh, I should mention that the gun came with the .45 Colt/.410 barrel, a caliber that I have absolutely no ammunition for.  So I figured that it would probably be cheaper right now to buy a new barrel in a caliber that I'm well stocked in, so I ordered one in .38 Spc/.357 Mag, which should arrive here by Monday.  I figure that I can eventually buy ammo (hopefully) for the other barrel when, and if, the prices ever return to something resembling normal.

Frank

RogueTS1

Nice find Helcat. Looks in great shape. .45 Colt is a great round. Take up reloading if you choose to use it. Hard to find at any time and unusually expensive.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.