Snap caps, dry firing, trigger practice

Started by Jimbobcc, August-30-19 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbobcc

So I have read in multiple places, including I think my naa manual, to not dry fire these handguns. I would have to assume that snap caps would be ok. Anybody have any input before I load up snap caps?

Rick_Jorgenson

Hi Jimbobcc,

Dry firing NAA Revolvers can/does cause damage.

I'm not an expert but do play one in my shop.... :o

As I understand, the hammer hits the cylinder causing chips and/or peening on the "blade" on the hammer (I don't know what else to call it!)

That can cause "light strikes" on ammo while shooting (shell that don't go bang) because they no longer get full contact.  The hammer can hit the brass shell without damage because it is softer than hitting the Stainless Steel Cylinder while dry firing.

I would think snap caps would be ok.  I bought some aluminum Dummy Rounds for building Holsters .22lr & .22mag it states right on the package "These are not snap caps"  the aluminum is to soft (I assume) for the hammer to hit without the possibility of damage.

If one of the people here with far more knowledge than I can jump in to give their .02cents  and let me know if I'm in the correct direction on this!

BTW.... Welcome to the Forum!

Rick J.
Rick Jorgenson

Jobrando

I use these on my rimfires. No problem

Canoeal

I use old spent shells. They are soft enough and cheap enough to change often...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke