How To Aim With A Mini LR

Started by Gun1, September-15-19 18:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Gun1

Hey,
I had been using the lasergrips on the mini to aim which work quite well. However, the mini doesn't fit into the belt buckle with the lasergrips so I've temporarily removed them. But I just cannot hit anything past 2 feet without the lasergrips. I've read many times that it's possible to get perfectly good shots with these out to even 25 yards but I just can't figure out how. Does anyone have any suggestions for aiming the mini? I've tried aiming down the barrel but although I shoot in the correct direction it either goes too high or too low.

Warthog

High or low sometimes means your trigger finger is the problem or the way you grip the gun, possibly flinching or expecting more recoil than you get can cause this too.

I am no expert marksman so I am sure you will soon get an answer from the many marksmen here.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

RogueTS1

I would assume since you are using a belt buckle that you are also using the stock Bird's Head Grips. These tiny grips make getting a proper and consistent grip a challenge. I can only comment on shooting a Mini with the Secret Service Grips applied in which less than 1.5" groups at 7 yards are easily accomplished for me.

The guns will do it but you will have to find a consistent grip and then aim down the top strap of the pistol, not the spot that appears to be a forged in rear sight, and figure what point of the front sight is your particular Minis POI. Once done a little bit of practice will bring those groups in.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Boisesteve

25 yards aimed fire with my mini might be expecting a bit much, but I DO NOT have experience with the Minimaster or Black Widow with real sights. With my 1 5/8" 22mag mini, what I use is a 'flash sight picture'.  As I rapidly bring the revolver up to shoot, I very quickly look right down the flat top strap and top of the barrel, with the front sight blade positioned over what I want to hit.  I do not use the "pumpkin on a post' sight picture used by target shooters, just this quick glance down the top of the gun. With practice, and at the defensive distances I practice at (5 to 7 yards), I've learned to reliably hit what I'm aiming at. Also, I have the NAA Black Widow oversize grips on it, so I'm not fighting to maintain a grasp of the tiny original grips at the same time.
With the 4" 22mag Earl I carry as my hiking companion in the hills, I can do better.  The little front sight post makes an actual sight picture, outlined by the cut at the rear of the frame. But with any mini, practice is the key.
For another way to think about it, read:  www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/8/7/throwback-thursday-point-shooting/
An interesting piece by an old master, I found the article referenced at Greg Ellifritz's site  ActiveResponseTraining.net,  a site I RECOMMEND HIGHLY.
I hope this helps. Be well, Steve in Boise

Saint Brian

Get the Hogue black rubber slip-on grip. It changes everything and doesn't increase the size of the grip like the folding grips do. You can hold it a hundred times better than the plain wood bird's head grip. Then, practice! Use rear notch as rear sight. You can only see it when the hammer is pulled all the way back.

RogueTS1

If you use the rear notch as a rear sight you will hit very very low. The Minis were not designed with a rear sight.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

thom

I found out today that you have to use 2 hands, one for the trigger and the second thumb goes right along the cylinder.  And my cylinder thumb seemed to be doing the aiming.
Arizona Citizens Defense League Life member
NRA Life  Member
GOA member