NAA True Black Widow article

Started by thom, October-09-19 21:10

Previous topic - Next topic

thom

I just finished reading the article in Guns& Ammo Handguns Magazine.  The writer stated that you could shoot 2 long rifle out of the Black Widow.    HIS WORDS WERE  "If you want cheaper practice, you can stuff .22 long rifles into the cylinder."   I have always been told that if you shoot a 22 lr out of a 22 magnum, the shell will damage the weapon and injure the shooter.  Why does the NAA make 2 different cylinders for pistols then?   Who is correct?   And can the article be corrected if it is wrong?   I wouldn't want NAA to be liable for this info and have to pay lawyers for defending themselves, if people follow this writer.

Thanks,
Thom
Arizona Citizens Defense League Life member
NRA Life  Member
GOA member

grayelky

It is true, you can fire LR in a mag cylinder, HOWEVER, the chances the brass will split lengthwise is very high. (This is due to the LR case being smaller in diameter than a magnum case. Look closely at both cases. The LR case is the same diameter as is the bullet, while the magnum case is larger diameter and the bullet sits inside the case in the same manner as a centerfire. The LR bullet has a base that is smaller in diameter than body of the bullet. This is known as a healed bullet.) When this happens, the brass will no longer seal and will allow gases and tiny bits of brass and lead to escape into the rear portion of the firearm. This could result In slight "burning" or stinging to the shooters face, or possible injury to an eye. It will not blow up the firearm, and the bullet will travel down the barrel as one would expect. In a desperate survival situation, I would take the chance. In normal use, I will pass. The only SAFE way to fire LR from a magnum revolver is with a s cond cylinder chambered in 22 LR, timed to that particular revolver.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

thom

Thank you.  That is what I was always told using a revolver.   Could NAA be sued if someone was injured because of this article?  I as m just trying to protect a great production company.
NRA Life  Member
GOA member

smokeless joe

If NAA didn't write the article then I don't e see how they would be liable. They are not the ones telling consumers that this can be done. They provide a separate cylinder for each type of ammo so that's kinda like saying you should use each accordingly. Now having said that in this day of blood thirsty lawyers and stupid consumers one never knows. 

Uncle_Lee

In the next issue of the magazine they corrected that statement and said it was NOT safe to fire Long Rifles out of a Magnum cylinder.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

thom

Quote from: uncle_lee on October-10-19 03:10
In the next issue of the magazine they corrected that statement and said it was NOT safe to fire Long Rifles out of a Magnum cylinder.
Thanks Uncle Lee
I haven't received the next magazine yet.

Thom
NRA Life  Member
GOA member

mainstreet

Yep. I did a test fit of a .22 LR round into my Black Widow's magnum cylinder, and the 22 LR case is definitely smaller in diameter than the magnum round. A lot smaller than you would think!

Biff

I shoot LR out of a cheap WMR single shot rifle with no issues other than case bulging and some cracking.   But I wouldn't do it from my NAA.

Cheepwings

You can insert a empty lr case into a empty mag case. Soooo

bleak_window

I tried it long ago with low-power .22 ammo, a .22 short or Super Colibri.  The cases invariably split or bulged and the accuracy was terrible.  Use this "trick" in emergency situations only.