Black Widow

Started by mainstreet, November-01-19 15:11

Previous topic - Next topic

mainstreet

Howdy. I found  this old picture of my Black Widow with Stag Boot Grips and Fluted Cylinder that I took about 3 years ago. I just like the way it looks.

pietro

Looks good !

I swapped out the huge issue grips on mine for HR bird's head grips, since I like to CCW it in a shirt breast pocket.

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

Canoeal

Everyone knows what I did to my BW...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Uncle_Lee

I love seeing them all..
Here is mine in a "Rick" holster.

God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

mainstreet

Uncle Lee: Your picture demonstrates the definition of an"Ergonomic Look and Design" to a T! Nice setup! "Ergonomic"= Relating to or designed for efficiency and comfort in the working environment".

Wumbey Goomba

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Canoeal

No, I call it 'improved', not fixed. You still driving a model A?
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Wumbey Goomba

If I was old enough to have purchased it new, Yes.
And it would still get me where I needed to go.
A girl that's already pretty doesn't need jewelry
to improve her looks, that just makes her look slutty.

Canoeal

Whatever, to each his own. I didn't do it just to make it look pretty. I made improvements. Mine with those grips is shorter in length and height even if only a little.
If you want to leave yours alone great. Seems though, there are plenty of others that made changes to suit them...

KEN AR

What can I say, I made a few changes.

Ken AZ is now KEN AR, moved in 2021 to the Natural State
Black Widow MAG/LR, Mini Master, Mini 1 5/8" Mag/LR
Desert Gun Leather holsters
https://desertgunleather.com/
RevisionCV.com Grips

mainstreet

Ken AZ= Good lookin' rig!

top dog

All those Black Widows are looking very good.

Whether they are basic or with some special additions,they are looking just fine.

Mine is just in original factory issue but is spot on with magnums or 22 LR.  It disappears in my back pocket in a Mika Pocket holster.

Top Dog

thom

Mine disappears in the dark almost, thanks to uncle_lee
Arizona Citizens Defense League Life member
NRA Life  Member
GOA member

Bigbird48

Heres Mine and my holster I made for it

Rick_Jorgenson

Here's mine.

It normally rides in a Pocket Holster but...

This week it's been on the belt in a Pancake Holster.
Rick Jorgenson

Uncle_Lee

Love is nice pictures with a cup of coffee.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

mainstreet

Bigbir48 : Whoa! I wasn't prepared to see such a beautiful Black Widow. The combination of the grip, the engraving, and the holster made my eyeballs go into a spasm for a couple of seconds as my brain was trying to regain control of the awesomeness of what they were seeing! Also, thank you for your service!

heyjoe

Quote from: Rick_Jorgenson on November-03-19 20:11
Here's mine.

i wish you could make me an i frame pancake holster
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

Bigbird48

Quote from: mainstreet on November-04-19 06:11
Bigbir48 : Whoa! I wasn't prepared to see such a beautiful Black Widow. The combination of the grip, the engraving, and the holster made my eyeballs go into a spasm for a couple of seconds as my brain was trying to regain control of the awesomeness of what they were seeing! Also, thank you for your service!
Thanks Mainstreet :)

Ruger

Rick - I just love your work!  Beautiful!
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

top dog

I had my BW out at the range yesterday and the mainspring broke.

I called NAA and will be shipping it back to them today.

In the past 3-4 years I have had it,I probably put 10,000+ rounds through it so I am not complaining one bit.

I hear that they have a very quick turn around time so hopefully I should have it back soon.

Top Dog

Canoeal

Mine took less than a week and came back 'better than new'.

Boisesteve

TD,
It's not that difficult a job to replace the mainspring yourself, if it's a magnum frame NAA. Watch a how-to-do-it video, use a sturdy needle-nose pliers that won't flex, and it won't take long to just drop 'er in there. The springs are very inexpensive and NAA will likely just send it to you if you tell them it broke. 
A few years ago I had some light primer strikes with one of my minis, so I replaced the main springs on all three I had.  The two magnum frames I have were easy, the 22LR frame was MUCH more difficult: same spring, but MUCH less space to work with (required a fair amount of tongue biting, retries, and bad words spoken, but eventually it too went in just right).
Send it in and it will return just like new, they go over the whole gun and fix anything they find, so there's that, but you have to pay for shipping and it's gone for a while. 
Either way you do it, it's good. Don't leave home without it!
Steve in Boise

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: heyjoe on November-04-19 09:11
Here's mine.

I wish I had an "I Frame" Smith to make you one with!  :)
Rick Jorgenson

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: Ruger on November-05-19 05:11
Rick - I just love your work!  Beautiful!
Thanks Ruger!  ;)
Rick Jorgenson

top dog

The BW is now in Utah so I hope that it will be coming back in short order.

I had considered replacing the spring myself but figured that NAA would do some "upgrades" while it was there.

I will be interested to see just about how long the turn around will be for me.

Top Dog

heyjoe

Quote from: Rick_Jorgenson on November-06-19 05:11
Here's mine.

i know....haha
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: heyjoe on November-06-19 10:11
Quote from: Rick_Jorgenson on November-06-19 05:11
Here's mine.

i know....haha
I need an "I" Frame Smith and a Ruger Bearcat to build Holsters with.  No dummy guns are available.

I keep looking.  Only ones coming up are in "excellent" condition ($$$$$)  I need "trashed" guns for not as much money!  ;)
Rick Jorgenson

KEN AR

Well even if you do find a trashed Ruger their warranty is almost as good as NAA.  Chances are you could send the Bearcat in and it would come back nice and shiny and looking like new.

That is one that I do not have that I sure would like to add to my safe.

Hope the move has gone well.
RevisionCV.com Grips

KEN AR

Top Dog,
Hope you have both the LR and Mag cylinders for your BW.  If not have them fit one up while it is there.  Hurry cause they turn them around quick!  Be a shame to miss a opportunity to get the 2nd cylinder while it is there.

Ken AZ
RevisionCV.com Grips

top dog

KenAZ,
Yes,all of my NAA Magnums also have the extra 22lr cylinder.

Like I had mentioned earlier,the BW arrived in Provo early yesterday so maybe it will be on it's return by the end of this week...hopefully.

Right now,a PUG is in it's place and have no problem with that.

Top Dog

Cary Gunn

Gents,

I've enjoyed reading the comments of my fellow Black Widow enthusiasts. These tiny revolvers are a true pleasure to use, and I've always been astounded by their accuracy.

Mine -- now four or five years old and wearing a set of homemade wooden (from a backyard elm) grips -- has always provided me with 2 1/2-to-3 1/2 inch off-hand groups at 12 to 15 yards when using quality .22 Long Rifle ammunition.

Recently, being a bored, fat old man with nothing better do, I embarked on an exercise of firing one shot each day at party balloons suspended on a string from the brush at the base of the cliff 23 long paces from my front door.  Firing standing, two-handed off-hand, 12 balloons were punctured in 12 shots before I also became bored with this game and ended the exercise.

I continue to marvel at such accuracy coming from a bantam-weight "belly gun" that nearly disappears in my hand. 

Thanks to the BW's drift-adjustable sights, my little gem places 40-grain CCI Long Rifle bullets right on point-of-aim at the 12-15 yard distance. 

Last month, the gun was returned to Utah to fix a broken cylinder-pin latch and to install a new mainspring to cure an ever worsening misfire problem. I took that opportunity to have an additional .22 Magnum cylinder fitted, since my BW originally came with only the Long Rifle wheel.  Since the BW's return to me, it has fired each and every time the trigger was pressed on a loaded chamber, the new mainspring having apparently cured the light hammer strikes causing the earlier misfires.

I've noticed the new .22 Magnum cylinder places its bullets about 3 inches higher than does the Long Rifle cylinder, and that can't really be corrected since the BW's sights are adjustable only for windage, not elevation.   I consider that a minor flaw, though, since by far the bulk of my shooting (plinking, mostly) is with the Long Rifle cylinder which delivers its loads spot-on.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --

Texron

I mainly practice with 22lr because it is cheap but occasionally shoot 22 wmr because that is what I carry. By the way, I love the original black rubber grips, because they feel perfect in my hand.

Bigbird48

Quote from: Cary Gunn on November-11-19 10:11
Gents,

I've enjoyed reading the comments of my fellow Black Widow enthusiasts. These tiny revolvers are a true pleasure to use, and I've always been astounded by their accuracy.

Mine -- now four or five years old and wearing a set of homemade wooden (from a backyard elm) grips -- has always provided me with 2 1/2-to-3 1/2 inch off-hand groups at 12 to 15 yards when using quality .22 Long Rifle ammunition.

Recently, being a bored, fat old man with nothing better do, I embarked on an exercise of firing one shot each day at party balloons suspended on a string from the brush at the base of the cliff 23 long paces from my front door.  Firing standing, two-handed off-hand, 12 balloons were punctured in 12 shots before I also became bored with this game and ended the exercise.

I continue to marvel at such accuracy coming from a bantam-weight "belly gun" that nearly disappears in my hand. 

Thanks to the BW's drift-adjustable sights, my little gem places 40-grain CCI Long Rifle bullets right on point-of-aim at the 12-15 yard distance. 

Last month, the gun was returned to Utah to fix a broken cylinder-pin latch and to install a new mainspring to cure an ever worsening misfire problem. I took that opportunity to have an additional .22 Magnum cylinder fitted, since my BW originally came with only the Long Rifle wheel.  Since the BW's return to me, it has fired each and every time the trigger was pressed on a loaded chamber, the new mainspring having apparently cured the light hammer strikes causing the earlier misfires.

I've noticed the new .22 Magnum cylinder places its bullets about 3 inches higher than does the Long Rifle cylinder, and that can't really be corrected since the BW's sights are adjustable only for windage, not elevation.   I consider that a minor flaw, though, since by far the bulk of my shooting (plinking, mostly) is with the Long Rifle cylinder which delivers its loads spot-on.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --
For a new and Fun game for you get yourself a walking target lots of fun and is a real challenge :D.

Cary Gunn

O.K., Bigbird48, I'll bite.

What's a "walking target"?  And, why do I need one?

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --