Kydex

Started by Rigemortis, December-19-19 20:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Rigemortis

Anyone here do kydex for their minis?

I got supplies and have to build my press.

I carved this to help avoid trapping the pistol. It slips over the front sight.

bearcatter

Now what would Mr. Jorgenson think of Kydex ?..... ::)

I have read that it's pretty rough on the finish ?
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Ruger

I like leather just for that reason!
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: bearcatter on December-20-19 09:12
Now what would Mr. Jorgenson think of Kydex ?..... ::)

I have read that it's pretty rough on the finish ?

If you put your gun in a holster, it will show wear marks eventually. A poorly fitted Holster will cause wear marks on a gun... quicker.

More ofter then not, its the dust in the holster that acts like sandpaper sanding away at the edges of your slide/barrel.

A gun is a tool, use it, clean it properly and keep it maintained and be proud of it's "patina" from use.  To keep it perfect, it should remain in the box in your safe to show people once in a while. (JMHO)

You should clean your holster by running a soft DRY cloth through it to dust it out, a little compressed air helps. I feel you should clean your holster about twice as often as your gun. Maybe more if you carry daily. JMHO

I have done some, business wise.... It seems to be a race to the bottom financially.  You can build the best Kydex Holster and everyone will compare it to the cheapest one on ebay. (its done on leather holsters as well, its easier to show the quality with leather) JMHO

It's fun to work with!  I encourage anyone to "Make Something" no matter the medium you use, I'll give advise where I can!

A t-shirt press works best to heat the material. Get a hand held thermometer. The foam press from Holstersmith.com and the "firm" foam is the best combo I found to get good definition.

https://www.holstersmith.com/vcom/sheathholster-molding-press-bench-model-p-636.html

I also used a DeWalt clamp to clamp it down on the edge of my bench.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-24-in-600-lbs-Trigger-Clamp-with-3-75-in-Throat-Depth-DWHT83186/204988147

I would also carve out something to partially fill behind the cylinder.

If you get the Kydex hot enough and good pressure from your foam press it will wrap behind the cylinder.

On some guns I have a plug that is placed on the frame behind the cylinder. I leave it a little lower then the cylinder so the finished product has a little lip to provide the "snap" when pushed in the holster. 

This all depends on the finished top over the cylinder. It also may require a little "flare" at the opening so the gun is easily re-holstered.  Depending on your wood working skills you might include that in your plug.

With wet leather I can press the holster and remove it, flare the opening by hand.  With Kydex you wait until its cool and not pliable.

Hope this helps!  There had better be photos! lol!!

Contact me if you need anymore Bu!!$h!t advice!  ;D

Rick Jorgenson

Bigbird48

My guns will never touch the likes of Kydex, leather is the only thing for me. ;D