Ordered a new Ranger II, I hope it works!

Started by red14, November-25-19 06:11

Previous topic - Next topic

red14

Arthritis has screwed up my hands so bad, I need this gun to work.  Maybe I can load and unload it so I can go to the range and practice.  My last trip was terrible, couldn't cock my S W 32, can't reload my NAA, fingers just don't work.  Jennifer is letting me get just the 22lr cylinder, 'cause I can't handle 22mag recoil.  I so hope this works.

I was really excited about the Sidewinder, I just knew I could open and load it.   But nooooooooo, stupid fingers don't work.  So frustrating!!!  Just depressing, and sad.  I need a walker to get around so I sure can't run.  Y'all have some good thoughts for me.
''I'm a humble man, indeed, I have a lot to be humble for.''

kc

Hang in there, Red... this too shall pass. It's a good thing that "now" ain't all there is, huh! Check out the book "Things Unseen" by Mark Buchanan... very encouraging & helpful when struggling to focus on what's ahead and keep daily hardships in perspective. I've read it several times, over several years, & it's a blessing every time.

Back to your comments about difficulty reloading. Have you tried the speed-loaders available here http://www.revisioncv.com/ and, I think, on ebay? Maybe get a few of them & load 'em at home on the kitchen table, where it's much easier than standing on the range.

ds10speed

Sorry to hear your arthritis is so bad, I'm getting there someday too. Here is a speed loader that will work with long rifles, the above mentioned only have a magnum option.

https://www.desertgunleather.com/north-american-arms-shop/ds-10-22-long-rifle-and-22-short-speed-loader

red14

Quote from: ds10speed on November-25-19 09:11
Sorry to hear your arthritis is so bad, I'm getting there someday too. Here is a speed loader that will work with long rifles, the above mentioned only have a magnum option.

https://www.desertgunleather.com/north-american-arms-shop/ds-10-22-long-rifle-and-22-short-speed-loader
I appreciate the info but my problem is not putting in the bullets, it's pulling and turning (at the same time) the little skinny knurled pin to open the weapon.    I'm hoping I can open the Ranger II.  It helps to unload the spent shells automatically. 

Canoeal

If not and I hope you can use the Sidewinder, take a look at the pin on the Black Widow. Being squarish and somewhat larger, that may be easier to work.  I am not too far from that direction as it concerns arthritis.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

ds10speed

Quote from: red14 on November-25-19 11:11

I appreciate the info but my problem is not putting in the bullets, it's pulling and turning (at the same time) the little skinny knurled pin to open the weapon.    I'm hoping I can open the Ranger II.  It helps to unload the spent shells automatically.

I see your point, the Ranger II is very easy to open and close, it should work great for you.

red14

Quote from: ds10speed on November-25-19 12:11
Quote from: red14 on November-25-19 11:11

I see your point, the Ranger II is very easy to open and close, it should work great for you.

That would be a Godsend.

red14

Quote from: Canoeal on November-25-19 12:11
If not and I hope you can use the Sidewinder, take a look at the pin on the Black Widow. Being squarish and somewhat larger, that may be easier to work.  I am not too far from that direction as it concerns arthritis.

That is certainly a thought for House defense, Ranger can hopefully be for carry.

Wumbey Goomba

Hope it works for you Mr. Red. Good luck with your situation.

red14

Quote from: Wumbey Goomba on November-25-19 22:11

Thanks, I'll let Y'all know, fingers crossed.

heyjoe

Quote from: red14 on November-26-19 07:11
Quote from: Wumbey Goomba on November-25-19 22:11

Thanks, I'll let Y'all know, fingers crossed.

Hi Red, you ordered already so when it gets there you will know for sure, but the two Ranger 2's i have are much harder to cock than the mini magnum 1 1/8 that is my original NAA revolver. I think they are using a stronger spring in the new guns. you can also of course put larger grips on them. j frame grips work.

The easiest to cock, softest shooting,  easy to control revolver i have come across is a smith and wesson 2" barrel,hand ejector...which is 32 long. buffalo bore makes some 32 long ammo hollow point and wad cutter which add some oomph but still are easy to handle. these guns were made from the 1940's until the late 50's as I frames, which is smaller than the current J frame. you can get one in good working order for less than a ranger.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

bbgun

The Sidewinder is difficult to get the cylinder in and out.  The Ranger II is easy to load and unload.  The downer is it is hard to cock.  I sent mine back, but it came back the same.  Good luck. :)

Tank24

Red 14 - Did you get the Ranger?  If so did it work for you?