Need Guidance

Started by bluecow, December-03-19 06:12

Previous topic - Next topic

bluecow

After the 1st of the year I will be buying my 1st and most likely only NAA mini.  It will have both LR and WRM cylinders.  It will be my primary carry gun.  Drop in the pocket ( most likely with out a holster) and walk out the door.  Truth is I'm just too lazy to lug around or dress around anything bigger anymore.  I am not interested in being told i need something bigger in cal or gun, I got those, but if you feel you must..........  I have researched this for about a year I'm down to a 1 5/8 mini mag, adding CV or BW girps or just getting the Black Widow and being done with it.  Thoughts? Point me in one direction or the other.
OH, I have found some with fault about how well these guns stand up? Although all say C.C. of NAA is great I'm not all that keen on the idea of sending something back to the factory.  is this a concern or just standard internet cow pies.  This gun will be shot a lot hence the 22lr cylinder

Thank you

Uncle_Lee

Welcome bluecow,.
Get what you think best for you, but I would vote BW.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

holiday009

Welcome aboard !

And I agree on the BW.
NAA Riverboat Gambler Owner.

Gus1759

Welcome, I love my black widow,Ric always comes through with the best holsters.

top dog

Bluecow,
First welcome to the forum.

You can't go wrong with any NAA Mini and your choice of a BW seems very good to me.  I have mine in my pocket in a Mika Pocket holster right now.

May I suggest that you NOT carry the piece w/o a pocket holster. It is a must. Prevents the piece from floating around and possibly cocking.

Good thought for the extra LR cylinder as well.

As far as the 22 magnum for self defense, the seasoned combat Marine and US Border Patrolman,Bill Jordan extolls on the virtue of the light weight snubby in his excellent book   No Second Place Winner.   I suggest that you read it.

Like I have said many time before,you will find out that these minis tend to multiply especially if you follow Uncle Lees advice and store them in a shoe box.......................................................

Top Dog

Rick_Jorgenson

Welcome to the Forum bluecow !!

The two guns your considering are both excellent choices.

The "Mini Magnum" has been around for a long time with many happy owners.

Pro's...

Smaller Gun
Easy to find (always in stock somewhere)
Easy to access push pin cylinder release
A little less expensive (?)

Cons...

Smaller Gun, shorter barrel (the Forum ballistics experts will need to give stats)
Push pin release.  Some people have had issues with it not staying in place when fired. Easy to cure with customer service (they send a new pin.)
Small front "Bead Sight" This is only a "con" for those that are using this gun long range. lol!

The Black Widow is one of the most popular guns.

Pros...

1/2" longer Barrel (ballistics experts will tell you how much it gains in power and penetration)
Looks very cool!  ;)
Comes with grips you can enjoy immediately
Better front and rear sights
Very solid cylinder pin setup

Cons...

Longer barrel
Larger overall because of the square barrel
I can't afford more of them!  ;)

As far as failure rate of NAA's. It's mechanical... it's going to break/quit/bend etc. (thats why I have 2 on me always and sometimes more)

I have not had to send any of mine back except for my Pug (my wife put it through the washing machine and dryer) the trigger return spring broke.  :o  it needed a new grip anyway!

NAA replace 7 or 8 parts and a new grip all at no charge! I told them what happened, willing to pay whatever the damage was.

At the very least look at a "Sticky Holster".

They are inexpensive and offer some protection. With this type of holster the gun sits in your pocket without orientation (not in "combat grip" place at all times.) Not having it in something will wear holes in your pants pockets and/or your pants.

Soft "Leather Sleeve"

Similar to the "Sticky" but at least its leather! lol! Adds a layer of protection for your pants and for the gun.
No grip orientation. Thinner than the "Sticky" and a full grain leather Veg-Tan Holster.

Full Grain Leather Pocket Holster

A Full Grain Veg-Tan Leather Pocket Holster protects your gun and your pants pockets. It's "wet molded" to your gun for a perfect fit and retention.
It also keeps the gun in an "upright" position so every time you put your hand in your pocket it is in the same position. No need to fumble around to get a good grip to draw.

With practice this builds muscle memory for the quickest presentation to "ready to fire".

I'm not an expert so add this advice to your research.  You have done your due diligence and seem well informed. The only flaw I see in your plan is carrying in your pocket without cover or a pocket holster.

Post pictures when you get it!

I happen to have a few pictures of some Holsters  ;)
Rick Jorgenson

Canoeal

Too will recommend the BW. Mine is an EDC, at work in a Sticky holster for now, but I have a nice DGL holster when I go out.
The holster not only keeps the gun upright, and accessible, it makes it less visible, and keeps the dirt out.

AS too the ballistics, Here you go...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

pietro

Quote from: bluecow on December-03-19 06:12

After the 1st of the year I will be buying my 1st and most likely only NAA mini.

It will be my primary carry gun.  Drop in the pocket ( most likely with out a holster) and walk out the door. 

Truth is I'm just too lazy to lug around or dress around anything bigger anymore.
Thoughts? Point me in one direction or the other.

Welcome to the board !

FWIW, I'm also old/lazy, and decided on a Black Widow convertible - but thought the humongous issue grips too large for easy. throw in a pocket CCW, so switched them out for birdshead grip panels (which worked out perfectly)

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

mainstreet

I vote for the Black Widow with the Hogue slip-on rubber grips.

RogueTS1

Since you are comparing the longer barreled Mini to the BW rather than the shorter barreled Mini I would say go with the BW since they both have longer barrels. The BW has much better sights and comes with the grip you desire already.

PS: welcome to the forum.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Dinadan

Welcome, Bluecow. I have both of the Minis that you are considering, and I agree with the other folks that the Black Widow is the better choice. The BW sights are better, in my opinion, and the cylinder pin on the BW is also better. I do not care for the stock grips on the BW, but any grip for any Mini Magnum will also fit the BW, so changing is easy. The BW does have a bit more heft, which could be either a positive or negative, depending on your preference regarding weight.

laylow

I just got my first NAA, a Black Widow, and it's awesome. The sights are excellent.

rattlehead

Pug! Of the ones you listed I vote Black Widow.

grayelky

blue cow-
First, Welcome!

My EDC is a Wasp, 1 5/8 barrel. I also have others, but this is the major, day in, day out, "if I leave the house it is with me", gun. Quite frequently, my "around the house" mini is a 1 1/8" Black Jack. I strongly urge you to get, at minimum, one of Rick's (Jorgenson, above) carry sleeves.They add no bulk to your gun and the gun will slide out quite easily when you need it. It will keep the gun from printing, keep your pocket from wearing out, and reduce the amount of lint that will gather up in your mini. If you have access to an air compressor, blow out any pocket gun or knife once every month or 2. The amount of dust/lint may surprise you.

Do let us know what you decide on. You didn't ask, but I suggest you not totally eliminate CVang grips from your future. They are easy to carry and do give you significantly better hold and control over your mini.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Canoeal

"I will be buying my 1st and most likely only NAA mini." I said that many times...I have held out almost 3 years, until today.
Ordered my second , a 1 5/8" Wasp. For those new grips you know (I call them stingers, LOL)...Gun will be in next week, but the grips are ready...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Wumbey Goomba

Buy both, wear leather pants. If either breaks, buy another. :)

KEN AR

I have both the BW and the 1 5/8 Mag. If I were to have only one go with the Black Widow. Better sights do make a difference.
As to putting it in the  pocket, I'd first ask you to turn your pockets inside out and look at the fuzz and lint in the bottom.
You do not want that working its way inside your action.

As Rick said, get anything to at least isolate it from the lint.  I prefer his Desert Gun Leather but any pocket holster can work.
I will also agree that the CV grips are great.  I like the G10 material but here are some photos to get Uncle lees day going.
Ken AZ is now KEN AR, moved in 2021 to the Natural State
Black Widow MAG/LR, Mini Master, Mini 1 5/8" Mag/LR
Desert Gun Leather holsters
https://desertgunleather.com/
RevisionCV.com Grips

Uncle_Lee

The coffee really good this morning.
Thanks for all the pictures.
God, Country, & Flag

Texduk3

welcome bluecow,
I have both.
carry the 1 5/8 daily, bw grip ,  w mag loads,
in pocket with  holster
"God and Guns"
"Lets Go Brandon"

bbgun

I like the mini mag with both cylinders and a folding handle. It is easier to carry, and the trigger is safely tucked away.  I have all the other models and a bunch of holsters, some bulky.  But I prefer the mini.  It fires every time and some of the others have had trouble.  You will love any one of the others though.

Bigbird48

Welcome to the forum.
I have 7 minis but the Black Widow is the one that goes with me everyday . I'm old and lazy too and have a little arthritis in my hands. The BW is easier to hold with the larger grips and make it easier to cock also.   To me and to most here a Holster is a must.

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: Canoeal on December-06-19 16:12
"I will be buying my 1st and most likely only NAA mini." I said that many times...I have held out almost 3 years, until today.
Ordered my second , a 1 5/8" Wasp. For those new grips you know (I call them stingers, LOL)...Gun will be in next week, but the grips are ready...
You have been such an inspiration Al!  3 long years with only one! 

I admit, I'm weak... I buy one "here and there" then go off the deep end and BOOM...2 or 3 in the same week.  :o  (I think I need to attend meetings or something) ::)

Holding out for 3 long years before getting another Mini!!  I don't know how you did it!

OK... Whats the next one?  :o

AND...  Those new grips look awesome! Good job!
Rick Jorgenson

bluecow

Thank you every one.  I will admit that after carrying a gun of some sort or another for 40years +/- I have a number of heretical ideas by today's standards.  Yaqui holsters are okay, a cocked and lock 1911 is safe, Mexican carry is just fine,( Mexican carry is not derogatory, it a sing of respectful acknowledgement to the fine Vaqueros  who when told not to carry their guns, just went without the holster and did what was needed) and just dropping a gun in our pocket dose not mean that your going to shoot yourself, or that it is coming out of the pocket covered in crud.  YMMV

heyjoe

i bought a Guardian 32 ACP in a group buy when they first came out....it wasnt until 7 years later i bought my first mini revolver a 1 1/8 mini magnum convertible. then i went off the rails and bought 6 more since.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

Tank24

If you are only getting one, then I'd get the Black Widow with both cylinders. 

If you are going to carry it without a holster then also get the holster grip to keep it out of the bottom of your pocket.

There are all sorts of holsters for this revolver from $10 on up. 

A holster will really help you carry it well.

bearcatter

I got my first NAA, a Guardian 32, a year and a half ago. Bought another 32 last month. I may eventually talk myself into a mini, if I could decide which one. Maybe they haven't made it, yet.......A mini is the one gun that makes my Bearcats look BIG.....LOL
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Bigbird48

Quote from: heyjoe on December-09-19 10:12
i bought a Guardian 32 ACP in a group buy when they first came out....it wasnt until 7 years later i bought my first mini revolver a 1 1/8 mini magnum convertible. then i went off the rails and bought 6 more since.
Hey Joe well for the first 7 years you didn't have a mini, once you got one and found out how much you were missing well the other six tell the story LOL

Uncle_Lee

I bought a pair of shorts in 76 and played with one of them one summer. Then I cleaned it up and put both of them in the safe and forgot about them.
I saw a picture of the Earl when they came out around 2009 and HAD to have a pair of those. Man o man, they were so cut that I ended up buying over 50 minis in the next 9 years. I had to quit buying because I ran out of room to store them.
Those of you with a house or big apartment can not imagine what I mean. I (well my wife and I) live in a very, very small apartment. No storage room.....
God, Country, & Flag

Wumbey Goomba

My first my wife bought me in 89, my second was a BW in 2016.

heyjoe

Quote from: Bigbird48 on December-09-19 14:12
Quote from: heyjoe on December-09-19 10:12
Hey Joe well for the first 7 years you didn't have a mini, once you got one and found out how much you were missing well the other six tell the story LOL

haha it was about 5 years between my first mini and my next one

Bigbird48

I'd like to get a pug someday but money is pretty scares these days so that probably won't ever happen, think my gun buyin days are over :-[

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: bearcatter on December-09-19 12:12
I got my first NAA, a Guardian 32, a year and a half ago. Bought another 32 last month. I may eventually talk myself into a mini, if I could decide which one. Maybe they haven't made it, yet.......A mini is the one gun that makes my Bearcats look BIG.....LOL
bearcatter,   You must of seen the "NAA first gun list" a time or two....   ;D

#1. Black Widow (both cylinders)
with CV g-10 grips
DGL Pocket Holster

#2.  Pug  Magnum 
You get this to back up the BW, keep the small grips so it's easy to conceal
DGL Pancake Holster

#3. 1 5/8" Magnum (both cylinders)
CV g-10 grips
DGL Cross Draw or Driving Holster

#4. Then you just start buying all the others! Any order!  ;)

Rick Jorgenson

Ruger

With everything under the sun already said, I agree with everyone telling you to use a pocket holster.  Try a few different types.  Eventually you will notice you are reaching for one particular one more often.  Congratulations; you found the winner.

Oh, yeah . . . . WELCOME to the Forum!
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

heyjoe

Quote from: Bigbird48 on December-09-19 21:12
I'd like to get a pug someday but money is pretty scares these days so that probably won't ever happen, think my gun buyin days are over :-[

i havent bought a new one in a year an a half. i was always going to get a pug but never did because of the difficulty finding one with both cylinders.

Canoeal

Quote from: heyjoe on December-10-19 10:12
Quote from: Bigbird48 on December-09-19 21:12

i havent bought a new one in a year an a half. i was always going to get a pug but never did because of the difficulty finding one with both cylinders.

I don't even see one listed on the website w/ both cylinders...