Earl vs mini master

Started by Rigemortis, December-15-19 23:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Rigemortis

Which do you prefer, Earl or mini master?
Why?
Pros and cons...
Does the cylinder pin on the Earl have a detent and ball?
Sight picture.
Etc

You can weight in on the hogleg too.

Boisesteve

I like them both but bought the 4" .22mag Earl, and added a conversion LR cylinder. The Earl sights are a simple front post that one aligns into the groove in the top strap of the frame; they are by design not adjustable, but my Earl shoots to point of aim.  The Earl has a less-heavy pencil barrel vs. the Minimaster, but neither of them are too heavy to carry so to me that's a non issue. I like the new Black Widow oversize grips and put them on my Earl, replacing the wood boot grips it came with, but the BW grips are the same shape and rubber as Minimaster grips so I guess advantage here goes to MM. I don't like the MM new style cylinder pin keeper, my stubby little fingers greatly prefer the ball-and-detent style.  Well, the Earl has a kind of locking lever that sorta resembles the bullet ram rod on old black powder revolvers.  It's not my favorite (I sometimes find it a bit awkward getting the flat of the cylinder pin to align with the flat bottom of the barrel for insertion) but it's not near as clumsy for me as the MM pin keeper so I get along with it.
So, the Earl is thinner and a bit lighter to carry and it's sights are fine for me. It points and shoots very well, and with five .22mags is my regular carry when hiking in the foothills. I'm very happy with it.
Steve in Boise