Cylinder covers

Started by barrytheprof, January-08-20 11:01

Previous topic - Next topic

barrytheprof

Instead of carrying extra rounds I carry an extra cylinder ready to go. In an effort to reduce size as much as possible I made some cylinder covers out of 2 or 3 ounce sueded leather. They don't add much space or weight, but they feel soft in the pocket with rounded corners.

laylow

That's a great idea

Bigbird48

Cool Idea maybe make them with a belt loop so you done have to carry in pocket. :)

Canoeal

An extra cylinder for 22 mag fits nicely into one of these, and hides in plain sight. I have a few extras... Put them in casing end first and they come out ready to go. Built in drier.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

bearcatter

Anybody try prescription pill bottles, or 35 mm film cans? When I had a Single-Six convertible I found a pill bottle that fit the mag cylinder almost perfect.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Bigbird48

Quote from: bearcatter on January-08-20 12:01
Anybody try prescription pill bottles, or 35 mm film cans? When I had a Single-Six convertible I found a pill bottle that fit the mag cylinder almost perfect.
If the pill bottle is that hard  amber plastic it could shatter in your pocket  and cut who knows what ::) :o :-[

RogueTS1

Quote from: barrytheprof on January-08-20 11:01
Instead of carrying extra rounds I carry an extra cylinder ready to go. In an effort to reduce size as much as possible I made some cylinder covers out of 2 or 3 ounce sueded leather. They don't add much space or weight, but they feel soft in the pocket with rounded corners.

Nice........ good idea. I just carry in a Speed Strip attached to belt. Fit those into some kind of thin pouch on belt and you would have a great winner there. I am not a fan of heavy bouncy things in my pockets.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Canoeal

You see what I carry. A pouch when I carry extra. A 5 round and a 10 er 9 rounder... The bottle is in one of the shop buildings the other building has a full 20 rd box from the snake shot on the shelf with the staples.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

barrytheprof

Quote from: bearcatter on January-08-20 12:01

As I recall, the 35 mm cans are too small. A pill bottle wouldn't be nearly as nice in a pocket.

Ruger

Since I have always considered my NAA as a Belly Gun, I have never carried spare ammo for it.  If six holes in a belly isn't enough, sh!t, I'm in more trouble than I thought.  I do carry spare ammo for my Sig P238; in a suede lined small Altoids box.  Five fit nicely.  ;D
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

laylow

Quote from: Ruger on January-09-20 08:01
Since I have always considered my NAA as a Belly Gun, I have never carried spare ammo for it.  If six holes in a belly isn't enough, sh!t, I'm in more trouble than I thought.  I do carry spare ammo for my Sig P238; in a suede lined small Altoids box.  Five fit nicely.  ;D
Same thinking here.  Sometimes I carry a spare NAA, though.

Canoeal

Hmm...My NAAs only have 5... ???

RogueTS1

Quotespare ammo for my Sig P238; in a suede lined small Altoids box.  Five fit nicely

Ruger: do you carry loose cartridges for the Sig rather than an extra loaded magazine?  ???
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Bigbird48

Where do you get a 6 shot mini I want one ::)

bearcatter

Quote from: Bigbird48 on January-09-20 11:01
Where do you get a 6 shot mini I want one ::)

Then people will want seven, then nine, then twelve. Where will it all end !!
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

grayelky

While not something I would use, I do like your idea, and it's execution. Providing the drawing was a nice touch, and generous of you. Do you try to color code the leather so you know at a glance what ammo is loaded in a givin cylinder?
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

barrytheprof

Thanks Grayelky. I used the dark leather for 22mag and different color snaps to differentiate between shot shells and regular ammo (Gold dot for the 22mag).

Rick_Jorgenson

Great idea and wonderful execution.

Color coding so you know which ammo is in the holder makes it easy to load correctly for the job needed.

You had an idea and put your engineering skills and maker skills to work!

Rick Jorgenson

barrytheprof

Thanks Ricm. Coming from you it's much appreciated. I used to do leather work 40 something years ago. Handbags, hand carved belts and such. I appreciate your work very much.

When I was looking for pocket holsters I visited your site, but didn't see anything small and soft. I've since learned that not all your designs are on the site. Perhaps a link to "Other Holsters" would be useful.

Rigemortis

Canoeal...
What kind of container was that ....one touch....one?

mrmurl

I have a son who has been diabetic since he was 5 years old.  I am quite familiar with those canisters.  He is now 45 and all but blind.  Some friends of his decided they wanted his paycheck to party on and got carried away.  One of them kicked him in the head and it tore his retinas loose.  Now only has very limited vision in one eye.

Those canisters are diabetic test strip cans. 
A gun is like a parachute; if you need it and don't have it, you probably won't need it again.

barrytheprof

Those are some friends! I feel for your son . . . and you.

Canoeal

Quote from: Rigemortis on January-11-20 11:01
Canoeal...
What kind of container was that ....one touch....one?

One Touch Ultra. Test strips for blood sugar...Pm me an address, and I can send you a couple.

grayelky

barrytheprof-

Rick makes some very nice "pocket sleeves" which is what you seem to be looking for. They are thin, soft leather, with the rough side out, and smooth side inside. This allows the sleeve to "grab" your pocket and the gun to slide out easier. Whenever I place and order, like the one I am currently waiting on, I give him leeway to use thread color of his choice and/or convenience, which leads to some interesting looks. The pink and the orange thread sell pretty good in the shop. I personally have 3 I use for carry. I love them.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

barrytheprof

That's good to know. I'm going to play with these stickies for a while. Do you have a picture of Ricks pocket sleeves to show? (Assuming Rick doesn't mind)

Canoeal

Quote from: laylow on January-09-20 08:01

In the Winter here carrying a second works, one in the pants pocket, a second in the jacket pocket...Then I might think too long about which one to pull... ::)

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: barrytheprof on January-12-20 14:01
That's good to know. I'm going to play with these stickies for a while. Do you have a picture of Ricks pocket sleeves to show? (Assuming Rick doesn't mind)
He doesn't mind  ;)  If I had "it" together I'd have those available for anyone to find.

Rick Jorgenson

Uncle_Lee

Pictures, Pictures, I love pretty pictures.
Now I have  them.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: Canoeal on January-12-20 15:01
Quote from: laylow on January-09-20 08:01

In the Winter here carrying a second works, one in the pants pocket, a second in the jacket pocket...Then I might think too long about which one to pull... ::)
Until I get more range time with some of my "other" guns they are all "back up guns" for my Black Widow! lol!!!
Rick Jorgenson

bearcatter

Yeah, you pull one, makes the bad guy "back up". A long way you hope.....

Ruger

Quote from: RogueTS1 on January-09-20 09:01
Ruger: do you carry loose cartridges for the Sig rather than an extra loaded magazine?  ???

Rog . . I do need to clarify . . . . I have a second mag with me.  My head was just on what other means there are of carrying ammo.  If I think I need extra ammo, I would have a second mag in my left pocket (P238 in right front pocket.  If it goes beyond that, the Altoids box goes in, too.  But to be honest, I generally don't have any extra ammo with me.  I work in an office environment where you have to get past a number of other "young fellas" that love to carry their firearms, before you would ever get to me.  I may decide to carry extra if out and about for flee marketing, etc.  But, again, I have always thought that if I need more that the first mag, I'm in big trouble anyways.  We are very rural, and I know I am surrounded by firearms.  Lord help the fella that decides he stands alone in fire power.  Maybe I should worry more about crossfire than a lone shooter.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.