Guardian 32: Hogue Handall beaver tail grip sleeve

Started by Chill Bill, March-04-20 14:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Chill Bill

This is the Hogue Handall beavertail version, sized for M&P Bodyguard 380, Taurus TCP & Spectrum.  ( #18500)

IMHO it's not the end all answer to my hunt for a favorite grip. 

What I like: the feel.  It's the type of rubber grip I'm used to, very similar to the Black Widow stock grip and CT laser grips. Just feels more secure in the hand to me than the stock plastic grip.

What I don't like:  the fit isn't phenomenal out of the box.  It would probably do great on the 380.  I thought I got a picture of this, but didn't --> the beaver tail extends out about 3/4" at the back of the gun's beaver tail.  I trimmed it on the gun with an Xacto and then removed it & wet sanded it a bit to smooth out the sharp cut and that came out fine.  Where the top meets the back of the grip, I didn't like the potential for those points to catch on something, so I ended up applying a very thin bit of Shoe Goo to tack it down. I was able to scooch it around so that it doesn't mess with the mag release button...feel like I may end up trimming a teeny bit more for that, but I'll see.

Overall: I do like the feel. For $10 it's a cheap experiment.   I'll leave it on for now, play around with it, see if it stays in place like I think it will. I may end up living with the stock grip.  Dunno!

Bill

Rigemortis

Good information. Thanks for the photo.

RogueTS1

Thank you Chill Bill for the photo and advice. I just placed one on my .380 yesterday and love it. The beaver tail does extend from behind a tad, as a true beaver tail should, but it still feels a lot better compared to the previous non beaver tail Hogue grip I was using. I have not decided whether or not to trim the extended beaver tail. Too lazy to take a photo yesterday.  ::)

The only thing that I minorly dislike about the new grip is that finger swell at the bottom of the front strap. It would be perfect if that were not there. Not bad with it there but would be ever so much better without it there.

Great job on the trimming by the way. Looks stock.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Chill Bill

Oh good, glad you like the sleeve on your 380, doc. Post pic when you can.   I know what you mean re that finger notch. I WANT to like it b/c it seems to add to some grip security, but it does take up some real estate.  I was just looking, and I again put in the mag w/ the finger extension. . . sure does fit nicely with that notch to give a two finger hold for me.  Hmmmm.... I played w/ that finger-extension mag a little and saw that it IS possible my unintended mag release in my first range day was USER error.  That mag's pretty snug and it's very possible I didn't push it in til the "click" full engagement, in my newness.  May give it another try.

Also. . . this morning I had just washed my hands before I grabbed that grip with damp hands...oh boyyyy...that tacky feeling I was looking for. That's reassuring to me in the event of a palm sweating event.  And thanks for the compliment re trimming -- it's good quality rubber and does wet sand nicely if you decide to trim the excess tail piece.

Safe shooting
Bill

RogueTS1

Now Rick just needs to step up to the plate with one of his clip holsters for this Guardian .380 acp. It needs a place to ride as one of the three possibilities of a tertiary on my Duty Belt for those just in case situations.  8)

PS: that finger extension works great if one is going to place pinky on bottom of mag as may be with the .32 but with the .380 and the Pearce base plates I can actually get my whole hand on the grip and while I can still do so with the finger extension there it seems as if it would feel much better if it were not there. But alas, the grip is much better than it was and I am still very happy. It grips quite a bit better now and it looks ever so much better too.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

bearcatter

You guys are discussing the beavertail Hogue slip-on. The HandALL Jr. slip-on is similar but no beavertail, and it's somewhat universal fit for small pistols. From what I saw of the beavertails at a big box this morning, they specify a particular gun on the package.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

RogueTS1

I used the Beaver tail slip on grip listed for S&W Bodyguard and the Taurus TCP/Spectrum. It fits the Guardian .380 perfectly.

RogueTS1

QuoteOh good, glad you like the sleeve on your 380, doc. Post pic when you can.

Okay; broke out the camera and had some decent light so here is that photo of the NAA Guardian .380 acp with the new Hogue Bearvertail grip on it along with the Pearce base plate mag extension.

PS: I kind of like it with the beavertail unmodified. It does look a tad odd in the photo but in person it looks much better. It feels way better; gives one's web of the hand to ride up into. Very much like the 1911 extended beavertail I am so fond of.  8)

Chill Bill

Oh yeah, looks good!  No reason to trim that tail piece off, it's actually pretty functional as long as you like it. Gives a nice landmark to keep your hand from riding too high.  And  I doubt it would snag anything b/c it's flexible enough to just give.  Interesting to see the size comparison with the 32 acp, too.  I like mine enough that I'm gonna pause my grip hunt now, live with it for awhile and see how it carries.  The stock grip has a slimmer profile really lends to a clean pocket carry for me. Very practical mod.  Thanks for the pic!
Bill

P.S.  But I still wish somebody would make a rubber grip that covers the backstrap!  Where's the Rick Jorgenson of rubber grip making!!?

RogueTS1

QuoteP.S.  But I still wish somebody would make a rubber grip that covers the backstrap!  Where's the Rick Jorgenson of rubber grip making!!?

I would like to see somebody make a set of rubber grips that cover the front strap and then see the NAA Custom Shop offer checkering for the backstrap. Better yet just make some nice rubber grips and offer checkering for the front and back straps.

PS: Crimson Trace made a laser grip for the Guardian that was black rubber and covered the front strap. They no longer make it. I thought of getting one, if I could find one, just to have the rubber covering the front strap.  ::)