Opinions on the Guardian. 32acp ?

Started by gsp1951, April-21-20 08:04

Previous topic - Next topic

gsp1951

Hello everyone.
I owned and enjoyed a Guardian .32 acp about 10 years ago. Unfortunately I had to sell it and most of my handgun collection due to divorce and relocation issues.
Happily, I am now rebuilding my collection, and am reading all sorts of information, and probably MIS-information about the Guardian's quality and reliability.
So, I am interested in hearing from anyone here who has an opinion about newer production Guardians, pro and con...because I really think I want to buy this gun again!!
Thanks!

bearcatter

I have two of them, if that says anything about how much I like them. Both have the latest 'AF' serial numbers. One is my 'main' gun, the second is for if the first is being 'held for evidence', or, I doubt, in the shop.

I chose the .32 for carry over any other handgun because it is solid stainless, chambered for the smallest effective caliber, and that also makes it smaller to conceal. Some people fuss about the weight, which is a whopping 15 ounces, loaded. The .380 version is 21 ounces, and noticeably larger.

The only negative I have any concern over is the drawbar spring. It seems that these are prone to eventually break. Some owners seem to have shot well over a thousand rounds without problem, though. In any case, it's a $5 part that takes maybe 15 minutes to replace.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Chill Bill

Hey GSP.  As you no doubt know, you'll read everything.  I'm of the opinion that online reviews tend toward the negative, and that it's human nature to be quicker to complain than to express positives. 

I'm a new owner of the G32.  Others will share from more experience.  My first one had a poorly milled barrel.  NAA agreed it was a mistake and replaced it without question.  And then I had a drawbar spring break after 300 rounds and LOTS of dry firing. It's easily replaced as a DIY.  So that's my negatives.  The positives FAR outweigh those, for me.  I make room for breaking in a new gun, new car, new RV...I just think it's normal to work the bugs out of things at first.  I won't argue if that's the way it should be or not, but to me that's normal in this day.  NAA stands by their products 100%, and THAT makes a huge difference to me.  Honestly, the breaking drawbar spring is the only thing I wish NAA would investigate further.  It may be just a fluke that ends up being the one issue that ever gets complaints online, or may be design/parts flaw.  I fully expect this gun, like any I keep now, to be passed down in the family and survive for years. 

Since you're only asking about quality and reliability of the newer ones, I'll hold back on all the things I love about the gun. I like the fit & finish, and I consider it a proven, well-made firearm that I'm proud to own and happy to get to know!!

Bill

gsp1951

Thanks for the replies, Bill and bearcatter.
I really liked the G32 I had. I thought it was a great pocketable gun with excellent quality, nicely designed and finished.
I have a Kahr CM9 for primary carry, and a S&W Bodyguard 380  and Ruger LCP II for pocket carry.
I also own and sometimes carry a Black Widow,  a Sheriff,  a Wasp, and a Mini 22.
Obviously, I am a fan of small firearms.  I have considered getting the Ranger II but am having a hard time with the price compared to the G32.

Still waiting on my Stimulus Check, but when it arrives....NEW GUN DAY!!!

autofull

well, i have two now for about oh, 15yrs. i love them but, i carry a keltec p32 instead. the weight really means alot after two spine operations. oh, my trigger finger always bled after it bounced into the front of the trigger guard. but i do love them.

bearcatter

So we can assume the NEW GUN will be a Guardian 32 ?

To tell a little more, I did have an issue with barrel machining on my second one. It took a while because of a vendor problem, but NAA replaced it with one that is exactly like the first.

I have not had any other issues, no broken springs, nothing. The first one has fired about 300 rounds, the second one only a hundred. I could tell when cleaning it that NAA had test fired it more than usual, to be extra sure before they sent it to me. It was way dirtier than my shooting would have done.

The only ammo I've ever fired was Aguila FMJ and a box of Remington FMJ . They are probably identical, because Aguila's plant used to belong to Remington. No hiccups at all, and actually very few of the normal last shot stovepipes.

Last, I've had no problem with the trigger guard slamming my finger. I guess that depends on what kind of finger you have, LOL.....
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

bearcatter

One addition here is ammo availability. At Sportsman's Warehouse, I haven't seen any .32 Auto for over a month. They normally have Aguila, Remington, and sometimes Sellier & Bellot. It's the only caliber they don't have; I even saw some .25 ACP. Last look they had enough .380 to fill a cart.

Gander Outdoors is pretty much the same. They usually have the same brands of .32. My LGSs would be too pricey so I don't even check them.

I don't need it, just curious about the recent ammo hoarding. I've got nearly 2K, but would buy a box or two if I see it. Both places can be on my way home from work, if I choose to check.

gsp1951

I've considered the availability of .32 ammo, and have seen  a few online vendors. I'd most likely buy 150-200 rnds of  quality ball to start with, as 9mm and .380 are what I use most in my carry guns.
I'm really interested in the G32 for "nostalgic " or shall we say "sentimental" reasons because I miss having one!

bearcatter

I feel sure that I'll see .32 Auto again once the panic clears up. I could most always walk into either big box and find 15-20 boxes of Aguila. I have had to wait for "the next truck" a couple of times.

.32 fans have to accept that it's not popular, so we'll never see a whole shelf of it by a dozen makers. I'm glad Aguila is easy for me to get local. It works fine and is $5 cheaper than others.

Uncle_Lee

God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

heyjoe

its funny...the last panic buy/hoard, 32 acp and 25 acp were amongst the few calibers readily available consistently
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

Wumbey Goomba

house.

Uncle_Lee

OK, where do you buy on line?
God, Country, & Flag

Texron

I have both the G32 and the Kel Tec p32. While the NAA G 32 is well made, the Kel Tec has many advantages over the over the G32!
The Kel Tec holds more rounds, is much lighter, costs much less, more fun to shoot, and I shoot it better. I have put more rounds through the P 32 without any failures.
  I saw a penetration test with 32s from a short barrel and the clear winner was Aguila 73g round nose. Hollow points did not penetrate enough and there was no expansion. That's what I carry in my 32s.

bearcatter

Scored 4 boxes of the Aguila today. Sportsman's had half a cart of various ammo sitting in the aisle. Looked pretty picked through, but I found the 4 boxes, which just happened to be the limit.  I saw 6 boxes of .25 Auto too, so the odd calibers aren't doing so bad.

Wumbey Goomba

People say I'm an odd caliber, and I'm
just fine. :P

jstert

i got a naa guardian 32acp several years ago used.  it turned out to have issues but naa essentially rebuilt it gratis.  i recently found a new keltec p32 at a "steal me" price.  i've shot, ccw'd and like both, the p32 more than i expected.  i added hogue grip sleeves to both, which greatly improves their feel in my hand.  which one 32acp pocket ccw to get?  don't, get both.

Chill Bill

"which one 32acp pocket ccw to get?  don't, get both."

Ain't that just the truth.  I was looking at my (only) 4 CCW handguns recently and realized each one is my favorite for different reasons.  I had to pick one to pack up for tornado, and I just couldn't decide, so I took two :).  Next time they all four go!!

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: Chill Bill on April-27-20 08:04
"which one 32acp pocket ccw to get?  don't, get both."

Ain't that just the truth.  I was looking at my (only) 4 CCW handguns recently and realized each one is my favorite for different reasons.  I had to pick one to pack up for tornado, and I just couldn't decide, so I took two :).  Next time they all four go!!
Thats why I can't live in tornado country..... it would take me hours to pack up may favorites!  :)
Rick Jorgenson

flash

I traded a practically new Kel-Tec P3AT for a used Guardian 32.  I think I got the better end of the deal. 

Sounds like that puts me in the minority opinion but that is OK.

Kel-Tec is a fine pistol but would eject the mag every time when pocket carried.  That's not an issue with the Guardian, and I've packed the thing all over creation in a pocket holster.  Might be worse for me because I am left handed.

FYI mine is an older one (AA serial number) but I have updated the mag button and got the extended mag floor plates. 

I still think highly of the Kel-Tec pocket guns and wouldn't mind having one again but my carry option is the Guardian.  A P32 is more pleasant to shoot than a Guardian... but then again so is a Beretta 81. 

Guardian is quite a bit heavier than a P32 but I actually prefer the added heft.

Ammo availability isn't that big a deal; buy 32 Auto when it's available, or buy online.  After all, these are not .22's where you go might through a few hundred rounds in one range outing. 

FYI on ammo, the cheapest local ammo for me is $25.99/box + tax.  Last Midway order I got 3 boxes of GECO for $11.99.  Now I just need to get out of the %$#@# house and try it out.

gsp1951

Chill Bill

Hey Flash, good trade!!  Congrats.  Enjoy the getting-to-know-you time now.  Keep us posted. I wonder if it'd be wise to get a new spring set from Wolf to be sure she's up to date??? 
Bill

flash

I know exactly ZERO about Wolff springs.

But now that I know, it seems like a good idea to get some springs for it.  And maybe a backup set.  Thanks!

bill_deshivs

Contrary to popular belief, springs don't "wear out" unless they are stressed past their elastic  limit, overheated or corroded.
A properly designed and maintained spring has an indefinite life.

Canoeal

Quote from: flash on May-18-20 15:05
I know exactly ZERO about Wolff springs.

But now that I know, it seems like a good idea to get some springs for it.  And maybe a backup set.  Thanks!

Wolff Springs are, or at least were, the OEM spings in NAAs, including Gaurdians... The are about an hour from me in SE PA.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

bearcatter

Quote from: bill_deshivs on May-18-20 16:05
Contrary to popular belief, springs don't "wear out" unless they are stressed past their elastic  limit, overheated or corroded.
A properly designed and maintained spring has an indefinite life.

If a spring has a definite bend, and that bend gets flexed, it will work harden and eventually fail.

TruthTellers

Quote from: heyjoe on April-23-20 19:04
its funny...the last panic buy/hoard, 32 acp and 25 acp were amongst the few calibers readily available consistently
The last panic was many years ago and it was largely induced by fear of govt action and not an apocalyptic plague that was going to wipe out humanity. People across the country went nuts, one need look no further than the buying of toilet paper in quantities that would last decades.

I was asking people a week or two after the panic a theoretical question on what uncommon calibers were best for a first time gun owner and I was a big proponent of 9x18 Mak because it was available online and cheap, then a few days later all the 9x18 Mak ammo was gone.

After that, I came to conclude that any ammo that was less than 50 cents a round was no longer immune to panic buys and the only stuff that was were black powder revolver components. I think once the average low information person remembers black powder guns are still made that cap and ball revolvers and muzzleloaders are the only true panic proof guns.

Uncle_Lee

When the 94 antigun bill was going through there was not any black powder, balls or caps in my area. It was even hard to find soft lead.
God, Country, & Flag

TruthTellers

Quote from: uncle_lee on June-13-20 04:06
When the 94 antigun bill was going through there was not any black powder, balls or caps in my area. It was even hard to find soft lead.
That was over 25 years ago and you're comparing availability of components at a local level thru traditional stores vs today's online availability. It may take a month to get, but once the order is made it's going to be fulfilled. Ammo tho is in such high demand that it's impossible to know when any of it is going to be delivered.

autofull

i own two guardian,s but i carry the keltec p32. stainless guns are just too heavy for my belt line back operation leftover pain. owwww.

bearcatter

A loaded Guardian 32 weighs 5.4 ounces more than a loaded P-32.

14.8 oz. vs  9.4 oz..

I think some people's perception is altered by the materials. Back of their brain says "steel has to weigh a lot more than plastic". Not necessarily.

bill_deshivs

linux_author

had a Guardian, wanted to use it but threw out its extractor assembly twice, even after a trip back to NAA...

just could not trust it

now use a Keltec P32, Colt Agent, or Smith 637-1 in rotation... Sidewinder w/22wmr is backup

Wumbey Goomba

My

TruthTellers

Quote from: bearcatter on June-14-20 09:06
A loaded Guardian 32 weighs 5.4 ounces more than a loaded P-32.

14.8 oz. vs  9.4 oz..

I think some people's perception is altered by the materials. Back of their brain says "steel has to weigh a lot more than plastic". Not necessarily.
It's all relative, 15oz weighs more than 9 and a half oz, and that difference in feel is all it takes to make people pick the lighter gun.

But, you're right about steel not weighing that much more. The old H&R Young America revolvers that were in .22 and .32 S&W were 7oz and not much larger than the .22 Mag mini revolvers we all have, yet they were in a caliber that threw a bullet with twice as much mass and were double action too.

Me and others have been saying for years that if NAA would make a clone of those H&R revolvers, they'd probably sell a million of them. H&R did and that was 100 years ago.