Dry fire Guardian .322lr

Started by Kamand, June-07-20 11:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Kamand

Hello all,
New to gun ownership, happy owner of a Guardian .32 - looking forward to firing it one day. In the meantime - my sense is from comments here and there that it is ok to dry fire it as I am getting used to it in my sofa. Am I correct?

bearcatter

Best to use a snap cap, or at least an empty fired casing, to avoid giving the rear of the firing pin and the hammer face a beating. The snap cap or casing adds some cushion to the process.

I have two Guardian 32s. Except for a few pulls when each was first out of the box, or one test pull after cleaning, they don't get dry fired. I just don't feel it's totally harmless with any gun.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Chill Bill

I'm a fairly new owner to a G32.  I've decided to not do any more dry firing with mine.  When I first got it, I put 300 rounds through it AND did LOTS of dry firing (with snap caps).  Ended up breaking the hammer return spring during some dry firing.  Can't say it was caused by the dry firing, or spring flaw, but decided to cool it and use it in its intended design -- to go bang with ammo.  Have fun with yours and stay safe!  Welcome to the forum.
Bill

Kamand

Thanks bearcatter and Chill Bill - I'll get some snap caps before I dry fire it. It's a beautiful piece, you get a sense of quality, which was what drew me to it initially.

Wumbey Goomba

(Scratchy caveman voice), Dry fire,Bad.

Welcome.👋

jennflip

On my 1911s and CZ Po1 I use a rubber grommet between hammer and firing pin to save wear on those components---something of the right size and material would probably work on your pistol.....

bearcatter

I found some snap caps on fleabay that are actual .32 auto brass with a FMJ bullet, but they are empty and the primer is replaced with a rubber insert. Works as a snap cap, or a dummy round to test feed and extraction. More useful, and durable, than aluminum A-Zoom or plastic Tipton caps. IIIRC you get seven of them for $14 including shipping.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Kamand

Thanks, bearcatter - I actually ordered those Monday.

bearcatter

You're welcome. I like them, so far, and I've fiddled with them quite a bit.

flash

My thinking on dry firing is that it is OK with a snap cap but really the people who should answer that is NAA.

Here is what they say:

Quote from: NAA Guardian Owner's Manual Page 6Note:
Dry firing can cause breakage of the
firing pin. This may result in an
unintentional discharge, or prohibit an
intended discharge. To safely practice
trigger pull, insert a spent (fired)
case or a commercially available
snap-cap into the chamber to
cushion

I recommend the regular plastic Snap Caps.  They won't ever be mistaken for live ammo and they work well in the Guardian.  Good not only for dry firing but for basic manual of arms practice.

Dry firing in general, I think, can help wear parts together and smooth things out.