As I age maybe NAA is all that's needed

Started by Mickey, June-27-20 15:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey

At 72 and still in good shape I can fire any of my 9mm's with ease. But is there any need? I feel very comfortable with the NAA in my front pocket. In the truck. In a backpack.
Think keeping a Glock 19 w/light on the nightstand is still a good idea but any need in having a 9mm for the desk or truck or van any longer needed.
heck I don't go anywhere that worries me (except downtown Austin) any longer. Thinking we travel a lot and having the Wasp (mag/22lr) in my pocket works just fine in the car or motel or pocket.
Maybe it's just time to downsize.
Any thoughts along this line???????
Thanks
Wasp

smokeless joe

I have more minis than any other firearm. I do have a 9 in the night stand and a mix of other pistols that are all sized for carry. But most days a mini is my companion.

Boisesteve

I mostly never thought I needed to carry much more.  I started decades ago with a NAA  1 5/8" 22LR, and switched to a 1 5/8" 22mag when I saw one in a gun store.  Pants on, gun on.
These days I also have a 4" 22mag Earl that rides on my belt if I go hiking.
I avoid Seattle and Portland, and don't hike in grizzly country.
Steve in Boise

bearcatter

Has NAA become the Old Fart's Firearm of choice?........ ;D
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

bill_deshivs

If your car was surrounded by rioters attempting to break into your car, would you want a mini revolver?

Canoeal

Quote from: bill_deshivs on June-27-20 20:06
If your car was surrounded by rioters attempting to break into your car, would you want a mini revolver?

In that case, your Glock 255 wouldn't help either...Nor would the M75 locked in your trunk. Just step on the gas...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Wumbey Goomba

"Headline"
This just in, Man runs over numerous rioters.

top dog

Mickey,
As most folks "mature",they tend to prioritize things with much thought.

Looks like you have taken a pretty good path with your decisions.

As for your car being surrounded by rioters,standard self defense thinking.....Awareness & Avoidance will take care if that.

In other words,if you see something that don't look right....................GTFO!!!

Top Dog

bluecow

Quote from: Canoeal on June-27-20 20:06
Quote from: bill_deshivs on June-27-20 20:06

Thats why I have a low gear, a reverse and a gas pedal

RogueTS1

Your car surrounded by rioters/looters/killers would definitely be handled much better with your right foot but a Glock 9mm would be a much better firearm for such a scenario. That being said; I believe what Heyjoe is insinuating at would be more akin to, "If a few miscreants are kicking in your door in the middle of the night is a Mini what you would choose and your firearm of choice?"

In such a scenario I might settle for a 9mm or a .45acp handgun but I would be reaching for a long gun such as an smg or a Mk-18, maybe a shotgun.  Definitely not one of my minis! 8)
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Bigbird48

I frequent downtown Phoenix, Tempe, Scottsdale and most other large cities in AZ . These places have shootings everyday at place's I have to go, like Gas Stations, convenience stores, Walmarts and the like and all I ever have is my Black widow.  I sometime have a 38 in the car but not lately. I don't know maybe I'm crazy for not carrying more. Truth be known I don't really think about the danger when I'm in these places. But I try to be aware of my surroundings. I never leave my key in the ignition when getting gas, I leave the door open if I have to get in quick.I almost always use the furthest   pump and the outside lane. This way I can see everyone in the place.

Mickey

As bearcatter said: “ Has NAA become the Old Fart's Firearm of choice?........ ”.
Maybe this could be NAA’s headline banner in the ads .
Wasp

top dog

Mickey,
I agree with your and Bearcatter.

Top Dog

Canoeal

"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

heyjoe

Quote from: Bigbird48 on July-02-20 19:07
I frequent downtown Phoenix, Tempe, Scottsdale and most other large cities in AZ . These places have shootings everyday at place's I have to go, like Gas Stations, convenience stores, Walmarts and the like and all I ever have is my Black widow.  I sometime have a 38 in the car but not lately. I don't know maybe I'm crazy for not carrying more. Truth be known I don't really think about the danger when I'm in these places. But I try to be aware of my surroundings. I never leave my key in the ignition when getting gas, I leave the door open if I have to get in quick.I almost always use the furthest   pump and the outside lane. This way I can see everyone in the place.

all i have been carrying lately is my ranger 2 in a front pocket, with 5 extra loads in a pouch on the holster.....
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

Texduk3

now 64, nearing 65,
I  carry the 1 5/8 22mag everyday, everywhere  8)
have 2 9mm  and a 38/357,  just too heavy w shorts and T shirt
"God and Guns"
"Lets Go Brandon"

Wumbey Goomba

For me lately.

RangerJim

I like the way you think, Wumbey.  I have been carrying a similar daily loadout as you over the last few weeks--a Sig p365 (right hip), Pug (right front pocket or coin pocket), 950 BS (left rear pocket)--my Pennsylvania reload.   ;D
So, making guns illegal will take them off the street?
Perfect!  We should probably make heroine and meth illegal, too!

Canoeal

Today's carry. Similar to most day's carry. May change to the Wasp or a holster change, or even a different knife of similar size and shape...but not too different day to day.

FRNKNHOOKR

"what good is an empty pocket"

I like your philosophy!

SteveZ-FL

One of my minis (.22WMR 1 1/8, .22LR 1 1/8) is always in a pocket and something with more report is at reach within the home.  That's been the way for a couple decades and I haven't come across a reason to change.  That being the case, practice to maintain a reasonable level of proficiency is also the rule.  It does no good to have and potentially need in a hurry any type of firearm if one can't react quickly, confidently and efficiently.

Yep, at 73 the minis are a great "O F F."
...SteveZ

"...you never need a gun until you need it badly" - from WEB Griffin's The Honor of Spies, and Victory and Honor.

rogertc1

A young 68 here. I have a lot of NAA but don't carry. Warm weather gun is my KT 32. Ex mag and green laser.  Point and click for this old man.  Also have a Standard Arms S333 2 barrel revolver , Taurus 450Ti revolver and an old COP derringer I swap around.  I am comfortable with these. They are for my defense any who. I am not a cop.

RogueTS1

RogerTC1: nice choice on the Taurus 450Ti. I am a big fan of the .45 Colt cartridge.  8)
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

benkanobi

Age has affected my choice of weapons, too. I just celebrated the 2nd anniversary of my 35th birthday and I too carry a mini-revolver as my 100% daily carry weapon.  Over the last 4 years,  after I got my carry permit, I have purchased  a- Taurus  PT738 380, Titan 25 acp, Keltec P32, Taurus PT-22, Beretta Minx (22 short)  and just last year, my  NAA mini-revolver.
My wife does not want to know I am  carrying a firearm, so the mini-revolver is perfect. I keep it  in a white handkerchief in my dresser and all she sees is me putting a handkerchief in my pocket in the morning. If I leave the house, I usually add  the KelTec P32 to my other pocket.  I have practiced pulling  my mini-revolver out of my pocket and firing through the handkerchief= the ultimate surprise for an attacker.  It's like  a super Bowie knife for use at arms length, plus 3 or 4  extra feet.
I will never sell my  NAA mini-revolver or my Beretta Minx ( a lot of fun to shoot at the range).
Five years ago, a neighbor lady across the street had a burglar walk right into her home through an unlocked sliding door on the patio while she was making dinner- he thought  the house was empty that time of day- she pointed a kitchen knife at him and he took off. That is why I carry my mini-revolver in my own house and yard. You never know.

Canoeal

Yeah, back in the day (some 35-40 years ago) I used to regularly shoot and handload 30-30s and shoot 410s on a regular basis. Now those guns are gone and I carry 22 mag, house mouse is a 4", 22 mag Charter Arms, and the rifle is a Henry Carbine in...you guessed it 22 mag. I can still use them to eat if need ever comes up.
Saves on the ammo stockpile, as I only need 1 caliber, even though I have handgun and rifle rounds. In any case, they will all fire what is available...

Uncle_Lee

Nice family photos.
Family is all you need.
If that is the family.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

jennflip

77 and carry a cz po1 Omega and a mini 22lr I have owned for almost 49 years in a kydex neck holster....I only carry a 9mm because I am too old and weak to carry a mini gun........

dlstanf2

I'm 68 with a disability. Been assaulted a couple of times. Twice in Walmart last month. Nothing raised to the level of self defense,  but 3 teenage minority males raised my awareness to needing a firearm with "lots-of-bullets". Took concealed carry class and the training.  I've been using firearms all my life, but for hunting & targets. I even had a perfect score at the range test  beating all the 20's & 30's age. They we using the high cap 9s. I had a 45 Commander. Recoil is more a push than a snap.

Anyway, I bought 2 of the little 32 Guardians. They just don't get enough love from folks. One for myself and one for my sister who has her CC. The trigger pull is so heavy on these DA. It's difficult to shoot properly. Therefore, I lightened the hammer spring enough to have a really reasonable trigger pull without being dangerous. If so, I'll just get some new springs. Hope it's not to light to pop the primers on the ammo. I just bought a new set of the Hogue grips for one. It should be here in a couple of days. Then I'll head back to the range for target practice. Just hate burning ammo. Managed to get a few boxes in the $18 - $22 range.

jstert

i too have my naa bugout1 22lr with revision grips with me every time i step out my door.  i have other ccw choices, including a naa guardian 32acp, but the bugout is simply handy and small enough to always come along, even for my 5mi light jog.  i have shot about 500 practice rounds so its capabilities are well known.  i am also at that age where i feel uncomfortable lugging around heavy artillery and i am the sole master of my travels, i.e. i can easily avoid trouble spots and times.  it is my karl malden amex card:  "don't leave home without it."

OLD and GRUMPY

The hard part is being honest with my ego about what I can still handle . At the range all is still good. But at 3 am or in a fast moving situation the big guns would be a problem.  Some would put me on my ass if I had to fire off balance.   They laugh at mini until I let them shoot her. They don't laugh after. 
Death before Decaf !!!!!

Uncle_Lee

That's ok OG, the last time I shot one of my 9mm's, I lost all ego. Won't try that again.
God, Country, & Flag

OLD and GRUMPY

Thanks  Unc. My Ego is in tact just adjusted.No "Shrinkage"'  Had one sip of Yuban. Then your post. A new topic. Never seen a coffee topic. Shall we dance?
Death before Decaf !!!!!

Uncle_Lee

Quote from: OLD and GRUMPY on September-29-20 08:09
Thanks  Unc. My Ego is in tact just adjusted.No "Shrinkage"'  Had one sip of Yuban. Then your post. A new topic. Never seen a coffee topic. Shall we dance?

I ain't getting around so good so you will have to lead.....
God, Country, & Flag

top dog

Recently fired my Bond Texas Defender derringer in 410 (3 inch) for "snake repel" drills.

Touch off a 3 inch 410 in a 20 ounce piece will let you know that the bull pooped in the buckwheat real quick.

Serious thinking has me looking at the Black Widow in 22 Mag with snake shot will do just fine.

First two chambers with shot,then the next three with CCI hollow points should work out  nicely.

Top Dog

OLD and GRUMPY

3" 410?   How big are the snakes in your yard?    Forget a wand, That's what Harry Potter should have had when fighting that snake in the basement of Hogwarts!
Death before Decaf !!!!!