4 inch Earl Companion vs Pietta 1863 Pocket

Started by TruthTellers, June-27-20 20:06

Previous topic - Next topic

TruthTellers

I've long felt that there little practical difference between a .31 round ball and a 30 grain .22 conical in a black powder revolver, but I'm wondering what do others here think? Both guns are quite similar in that they use a spur trigger, 5 round cylinder, and are very small. However, I've heard of issues with the Pietta's quality, but with NAA I have no concerns about quality.

I'm not personally interested in the Pietta, the NAA I have a passive interest (if only they weren't so hard to find!), but for someone who was in a situation where they had to get something for self defense now and happened to live in a state where they had to jump through hoops to get a gun or are a prohibited person (people make mistakes), which would you recommend?

Uncle_Lee

I have owned and shot a couple of 1863's.
There is no problem with Pietta quality other than it is not quite a good as Uberti.

If I had to carry one for defense, I would go with the 63 because you can stuff a little more powder in it.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

lefty dude

My Choice; The 1862 36 caliber Pocket Police. Think, 38 short COLT.

TruthTellers

So the NAA Companions are basically garbage for anything outside of fun in the backyard?

ikoiko

Wumbey Goomba

heyjoe

oops!!!

Lohman who commented on that post used to post here quite often....good guy
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

TruthTellers

Quote from: ikoiko on July-03-20 11:07
Quote from: TruthTellers on July-02-20 17:07
So the NAA Companions are basically garbage for anything outside of fun in the backyard?

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587532
LOL, I was pretty negative in my youth. I sent it back for repair and NAA fixed it and ever since it's worked like a clock. I've probably put over 1000 rds thru it and it shows no signs of stopping. I am a lot more delicate when it comes to removing and replacing the cylinder tho.

OLD and GRUMPY

Quote from: lefty dude on June-28-20 16:06
I am working the flaws out of my new  .36  Uberti 62.   Found out they  make a 3" barrel that you never see.  It has no loading lever.  But I can order just the barrel.        Would turn my 5   1/2"   in to a true  pocket gun.  I have fired it with 22g of 3f black. Big bark!     To compare the  full size .36  51 navy  uses  25g.                                                                                                                                                                         
Death before Decaf !!!!!

TruthTellers

Quote from: OLD and GRUMPY on July-12-20 13:07
Quote from: lefty dude on June-28-20 16:06
I am working the flaws out of my new  .36  Uberti 62.   Found out they  make a 3" barrel that you never see.  It has no loading lever.  But I can order just the barrel.        Would turn my 5   1/2"   in to a true  pocket gun.  I have fired it with 22g of 3f black. Big bark!     To compare the  full size .36  51 navy  uses  25g.                                                                                                                                                                         
I bought one used a few yrs back, price was good and later found out why: the bore was pitted pretty in a few areas. I decided to cut the barrel down to 2.5 inches and to buy a spare barrel later. Haven't gotten the spare barrel yet, but the snub 62 is a nice gun.

josp

Pics people please!! Especially the snub nose BP guns!

Uncle_Lee

Quote from: josp on February-02-21 05:02
Pics people please!! Especially the snub nose BP guns!

Right!
Would love pictures.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

OLD and GRUMPY

T--- what load do you use with the shorty ? Black takes a longer barrel to burn to max. I fire 14gr 777 and she kicks like a "bleep" (girl dog). I have a 51 NAVY. I have made "Wild Bills" 75 yard "tutt" shot with one hand. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Bill_Hickok_%E2%80%93_Davis_Tutt_shootout 
Death before Decaf !!!!!

TruthTellers

Quote from: OLD and GRUMPY on February-02-21 13:02
T--- what load do you use with the shorty ? Black takes a longer barrel to burn to max. I fire 14gr 777 and she kicks like a "bleep" (girl dog). I have a 51 NAVY. I have made "Wild Bills" 75 yard "tutt" shot with one hand. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Bill_Hickok_%E2%80%93_Davis_Tutt_shootout
I think I did 20 or 23 grains of Triple 7, whatever the spout on my CVA field flask throws. Probably more than standard, but this gun has been well used before me and if it twists or stretches the frame I don't care.

You do sacrifice velocity for the smaller size and I'd only shoot round ball in the short barrel for that reason because with a conical IDK if you'd even get 500 fps with it.

tinhorn

I don't have an Earl but I did own an early Freedom Arms Patriot over 40 years ago. The Patriot was a beautiful, well-built mini-revolver.

Two days ago I received a Pietta 1863 pocket revolver. I bought it because it was a baby brother to my Uberti 1858 Remington, and I couldn't find an Uberti version of the 1863. I'm very disappointed in the fit and finish of the Pietta, and it feels like it's full of sand. I use my Uberti mostly as an old man's fidget spinner so spending several hours slicking up the Pietta will simply be recreation. If I wanted an out-of-the-box shooter, I'd buy the Companion.