Favorite .22's?

Started by cedarview kid, November-12-10 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

cedarview kid

If you know me very well, you'll know that I'm a major .22 fan. Probably 90% or more of what I own are of this caliber. Of course, my MOST favorite .22's are my NAA's (wink, wink!), including my new break-tops, my Earl, my Pug, etc., but I also have some non-NAA .22 favorites.

These include my Colt Buntline Scout single-action revolver, my Astra TS22, and my S&W 22A. These are my all-time favorite shooters.

I also would like to get a Sig Mosquito and a S&W 422. I also want a Walther .22 PPK, but that's probably never gonna happen.

Do you guys have similar .22 favorites? If you speak up, maybe I can borrow something from your lists.

Dar

redhawk4

Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

coinchop

I just sold 12 gallons of 22 brass, 94 lbs.

Was posted on the other side a while back.

Saved it in less than 3 years.

That should tell you about my love of 22s.

To bad I couldn't catch the brass coming out  

of the semi-autos.

I have a lot of favorite 22 handguns including

NAA minis, Smiths ,and Rugers.

One of my all time favorits is a 10 in. Ruger  

semi auto that shoots long range like a rifle.

I haven't shot it much for the last couple of  

years as I got hung up on a 63 Smith with a  

5 in barrel and then  617 Smith with a 6 in.  

barrel. I love Ruger Bearcats also.

In fact I am about to head for the country

for a couple of hours of shooting.

Gone....

cedarview kid

Thanks for the link, but I've already seen that one. I've been biting my lip trying to resist that one. Much to my disappointment, I'm not made of money. I've seen 422's listed before, but haven't made the plunge, since NAA has been sucking my gun budget dry, LOL. I should be getting the matching LR/Magnum buntlines next week, or I'd probably already own this 422.

Sometimes I think I'll love a gun and don't, and vice versa, so  I don't know if I'll ever add a 422 to the above short list, but I'm willing to give it a try. I'm thinking it could boot the 22A down the list, because I like the looks of it, but you never know until you're throwing lead with it.

Thanks.

Dar

cedarview kid

Cool, thanks for your list, Coinchop. I've been admiring Bearcats at gun shows for years now. Guess I gotta break down and get one someday. Not cheap, though.

What 10-inch Ruger are you talking about?

I also have my non-shooting favorite list. I mean, not that I don't shoot them, but I listed above my favorite shooters. I have others that I love as well, but don't have as much fun shooting them. This list includes a 12-inch Taurus magnum revolver, my goofy Leinad 10-shot revolver (not fun to shoot), and my expensive USFA 12-shot revolver, which I haven't DARED shoot yet--it's a real gem.

Dar

redhawk4

I was tempted by it because it was a little different, until I really thought about how big it is. Not really being a 22 man like yourself, that convinced me I didn't need it. Having said that it could be argued I don't NEED any new guns period There are just a lot more I WANT.

I guess currently my favorite 22 is my BT, although that's not saying much as my only other 22 is a Marlin 60.

cedarview kid

Yeah, it IS big. Part of the fun of shooting is hitting what you're aiming at. That's why I like my Astra and 22A and even the Colt Buntline with 9.5-inch barrel. None of these are small.

I'm guessing the 422 would be comparable--that's why it tempts me. I like my minis for different reasons--although shooting with the magnum cylinder on my Earl is surprisingly accurate.

bud

My favorite .22 revolver is a colt single action peacemaker with both cylinders. Favorite 22 rifle is my golden marlin 39a. I also have the marlin 39a Mountie, but I like the one with the pistol grip better than the Mountie.

woodchuckssuck

My 10/22 is my all time favorite .22lr gun. I kinda turned it into a Target model by purchasing a used factory Target stock, and refinishing it, and adding a ER Shaw .920 barrel. Shoots small little groups with most ammo, Wolf MT is amazing out of it.  

My other favorite .22 that I do not shoot much is my Colt Woodsman 2nd series Target model. Still the skinny barrel, but 6" barrel with target sights. Shoots as good if not better than my 22/45, and is built so *** well. My grandpa gave me that, it was his first pistol but he hadn't shot it in years and said it would be much better off in my hands  

22/45 is also quite a lot of fun, I have 5 mags for it and an "Ultimate Clip Loader" which means a brick can be burned up in well under an hour if you so desire, and have a friend reloading/shooting with you!

I too enjoy .22lr more than any other round, its affordable, and I don't have to reload it to save!

redhawk4

I have nothing against 22's, as I've said before it's nice to just focus on the shooting without all the noise and recoil. But, having grown up in gun restrictive Britain, with occasional access to my Dad's BSA 22LR, I've been left with a yearning for the larger calibers of my boyhood dreams, and had to work my way back down to 22's.

coinchop

Naa-c

The 10 in. barreled Ruger I am talking about is a Mark II Stainless . Its been a while since they made them.

I also have a Single Six Ruger with the buntline barrel, but haven't shot it much the last few years.

silvershooter

In the 22 category I would mention the ruger single six with both cylinders. If I Had to limit myself to only 2 guns it would probably be a single six and a black widow.  

When/if I get some extra money I might try out a browning 22lr auto rifle or more likely a Henry goldenboy which are still made in America. I've lost some interest in any more naa's for right now.

45flint

Best 22 in my collection only 22 ever designed by John Browning himself. This is a 1941 bought in an estate sale.  Break-Top is a close second.  

cedarview kid

Thanks for the comments on the single six. Yes, I have one, too. It's blued, has both cylinders, and has the 9.5-inch buntline barrel. (You KNOW how I like the buntlines!)

I also bought a nice vintage cowboy rig that fits it wonderfully, even with the buntline barrel. The rig looks old and worn and, in my opinion, is a very nice addition to the Ruger. Sheepishly, I must admit, however, that I have not shot it yet--like maybe 50% of my guns. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Perhaps it will rise to a position on my favorite shooters list once I get out with it ;) It's strikingly similar to my Colt buntline, but heavier.

(I can see I need to post a pic of it, with the old rig.)

Dar

westerly1965

Yes Dar you do need to post of pic of that!

coinchop

After posting up above earlier today I grabbed a 22 rifle and a bag full of 22 handguns and a sack full of shells and made a 15 mile loop out in the country. With fall coming the cow-pies are finally taller than the grass which is now shorter. That made it easy to shoot the sh-- out of those awesome targets. I shot some with a little Winchester rifle I have, and then took out some of the close ones with my Black Widow. On the mid range ones I splattered a lot of them with the 617 Smith and another gun I shoot a lot that I didn't mention in the post above, which I shoot a lot. Its a single shot bolt action 22 pistol made by Keystone, called the Chipmunk. It has become one of my favorits. It does't gobble up ammo like a semi auto and shoots long range like a ***. It has fiber-optic sights which took me awhile to get used too. I have shot thousands of rounds through it and its kind of like a mini, you can't get in a hurry, and thats not all bad. For a shooter on a budget, you can't beat a single shot or a NAA mini...

coinchop

Oh oh

Football field size post

again. Most of the time

when I see that in the  

forcast I type short lines  

like MDE.

coinchop

Chipmunk and a few friends-------------

grayelky

My favorite .22 lr handgun is a Ruger Single Six Convertible. I got it in 1971, when I was 20. I had to go back home and get my Mother (Dad was out of town) to come do the paper work. I still have the gun, but Mom has gone on to her reward(s). At some point in the future, one of my 2 Sons will have it.

My favorite .22 lr rifle is a Ruger 77/22 in SS. It left the factory in a synthetic stock, w/o sights. I had a gray laminate International stock made for it to match my WalMart special Ruger 10-22 with a gray laminate International stock. Any misses with the rifle are not the rifle's fault.

Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

cookieruffruff

naa collector, i've owned several of the 422s and of the original mod 61 s,the 61s seem to break extractors, not expensive but a pain... the 422/622 s seem fine  the 422 is alloy and i believe the 622 is stainless  they come with a threaded barrel fun fun. if you can find one $250.00 er less it's about what they go fer i bought mine fer 75.00 in good shape..... so if ya want serious  hmm hmm a s&w 41 is unbeatable     ruff ruff

traveller

Love this thread.  I spend a lot of time and rounds shooting higher power factor guns competitively, but I love 22's.  Maybe it is nostalgia, simplicity, cost, whatever but 22s are special.  

To answer your question, my favorite 22 is my 1965 Marlin 39A lever action rifle.   Oldest running production 22 in the world (actually, I believe it is the longest running production gun of any caliber in the world).  A great shooter and a beautiful gun.  

The 39a was first known as the Model 1891. That is the rifle that Annie Oakley used to put 25 shots in one jagged hole in 27 seconds at a distance of 36 feet.    

I think I will take it out back and shoot it a bit this weekend!

flyinbiker2001

Being a disabled vet I cat really afford the larger toys any more so I just have the 3 22s a 68 Walther PPK in LR its the most fun to shoot it eats anything you run through it we picked up a Walther P 22 the wife loves I cant quite get the plastic thing wrapped around my head but it works very well and my mini I have worn out 2 mini's the first was a B ser # without safety notch's when I sent it to NAA for repair I asked them not to change the Cyl as I thought it might be collectable later but they changed it anyway the 2nd was a D ser LR it was in my back pocket when I dropped my Sportster and got chewed up a bit and next will be a Break top -w- boot grips  

coinchop

I have a Marlin Mod. 1891 that I hope

to own for the rest of my life. I  

bought it used in about 1956 from a small

town hardware store for $20.00. Shot a  

lot of jack rabbits with it. Needs a  

little work so just hangs on the wall

where I can look at it. Also have a  

39 M I bought back in the 70s. Nice

gun.

Bought a Henry 22 lever youth model a  

year or so ago. At 6'2" I didn't need  

a youth model, but I liked it. Fits

well with my minis and swings out

the pickup window easy when I see a

dirt clod or a cow pie that has to

be shot. This 22 cal. thing keeps  

my life pretty busy when its not  

motorcycle season.

Life is good....

coinchop

Isn't it neat in the gun world,

theres always another gun to look

forward to owning. If one is good,

more is better......

ksblazer

I have a few .22's but I enjoy shooting my browning buckmark the best. I shoot it more accuratly than any of my handguns.

For Rifle I got to go with the Ruger 10/22. I can spend all day plinking with it, until I either have shot up all of my targets or ran out of ammo.

cedarview kid

Thanks for the info, Cookie. Have you any familiarity with the 22A and how it compares to the 422?

cookieruffruff

naa collector, s&w 22a =jamomatic.... i don't like them ,if you do not already own one....don't..it can be made to function ..ok.. if your set on s&w get a 41, if not get a ruger mk..anything    just my $ .02   ruffruff

cedarview kid

My 22A is EXCELLENT. Does not jam at all and is fun to shoot. Beretta 21A, on the other hand, is another story.

cookieruffruff

ooops... yer right sorry my bad   woof

guadman

S&W Model 317.

I love it. 10 oz unloaded. 8 shot, alloy revolver. Superb accuracy with a 1 7/8" barrel!

Also come with a 3" barrel and, I believe, a newly available 10 shot! cylinder. Pricey but worth every penney. It's my fav. gun.

bleak_window

My Henry Octagon Frontier Model and NAA Black Widow are the only .22s I have, so they are tied for favorite.  I would also love a vintage S&W Model 18 Combat Masterpiece, a S&W Model 43C 8-shot .22lr J-frame Centennial, and though I'm not real keen on semis, I like the look and feel of a Browning Buckmark.

bud

Bleak widow,  where did you come from?   WELCOME!!!

Look forward to your post.

redhawk4

cedarview kid

Wow, that's AWESOME, Redhawk. I can't afford that one, though. But I like!

Dar

sharpblade

Here's a couple of mine.