.350 Legend Winchester XPR

Started by ds10speed, September-11-20 05:09

Previous topic - Next topic

ds10speed

I live in lower Michigan where they just recently changed the deer gun laws for the shotgun zone. I can only use my Winchester model  70 Featherweight .308 and model 94 30-30 up north, but lately I have been having better luck at home on my own property with a shotgun, crossbow and muzzle loader. We can now use certain .35 cal or larger straight wall rounds in a rifle like .357 Mag, .44 Mag, 45 Colt, .460 S&W, .350 Legend, .450 Bushmaster and maybe some others with a case length between 1.16" and 1.80". I used my buddies Ruger American .450 Bushmaster last year and took a buck with it, I thought I would give the .350 Legend a try this year. I just bought the .350 Legend Winchester XPR to use this deer season.

The gun was made in Portugal at the Browning Viana factory, this is the Sporter Titanium model and it is not on the Winchester web site for some reason, I was surprised to see it at my local dealer 5 miles down the road. You can also get it with a blued barrel if you prefer. It has a recessed crown and adjustable trigger pull and trigger stop, factory set at 3 1/2 pounds.

There are several variations of the .350 available but I like walnut stocked guns, most are composite plastic. The .350's and .450's are selling like crazy in my area. I got a Leupold 3x9 Freedom scope mounted and got it zeroed in. I'm quite happy with the results, I can get sub 1" groups at my 90 yard range, same as my .308.

Hornady 170 Grain @ 90 yards

After adjusting:

Rick_Jorgenson

Beautiful Rifle Dave and great shooting!

I can get a close group like that at 5 yards with a rifle...  If its a steady hand day! lol!!!  With a hand gun I'm happy to be "on the paper" lol!!

It's also nice to see green grass and trees. Thats a novelty to those of us in the Desert Southwest  ;)
Rick Jorgenson

Canoeal

Green grass and trees seem to be a novelty in California right now...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

top dog

TenSpeed,
Super nice rifle.  Best of luck for a successful hunt!!!!

Top Dog

ds10speed

Here's some green views from my hunting shack for you desert dwellers.

East view, deer food plot:

South view, shooting range:

West view, softball field:

There is always something to see, deer, turkeys, rabbits, squirrels, birds and today a turtle.

Pond, hunting shack is behind the pines to the left:

Wumbey Goomba

Judging from that smile, I'd say that
turtle is on his way home from his
girlfriends house.

barrytheprof

ds10speed

I think it's the same turtle I have been seeing since 1985 when I built my house, it was smaller then. It makes the trip from the creek a half mile back once a year, it has a mission to accomplish.

se3388

Cool turtle, I wonder how the 350 Legend compares to the 357 Maximum other than being rimless, the platforms and being 2.2mm longer than the Maxi.

Steve........
NRA Patron Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: ds10speed on September-13-20 11:09
Here's some green views from my hunting shack for you desert dwellers.

East view, deer food plot:

"Here's some green views from my hunting shack for you desert dwellers"

Hey, wait a minute!  We have lots of GREEN... ok... only a little  :o

Ok... its mostly rocks, scorpions, and rattle snakes  ;)

Rick Jorgenson

ds10speed

I passed up this one last night with my crossbow, maybe I'll change my mind when rifle season opens if he's still around.
Notice the fur on the back of his neck, he was zig-zagging up and down the woods looking for somebody. I've seen him 3 times now so I think he's one of my local bucks.

I got a six minute video of these two smaller young bucks showing off for the girls, I can only show a snapshot.

Rick_Jorgenson

You're in a beautiful area Dave.

Trees, grass, and wildlife.

Thanks for the photos!
Rick Jorgenson

RogueTS1

I think that photo of the SW is beautiful Rick.  ;D
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

josp

I'd love to hunt Michigan or out west. Not that I mind the Pa deer woods. Just filled my tag yesterday with my crossbow. Thinking of taking a doe in rifle season, but I might wait till flintlock season, that's always fun.
Ground some up and have a cheese stuffed meatloaf in the smoker as I type. Should be done in an hour if anyone is nearby.....

Cheers!

ds10speed

Quote from: josp on October-23-20 15:10
I'd love to hunt Michigan or out west. Not that I mind the Pa deer woods. Just filled my tag yesterday with my crossbow. Thinking of taking a doe in rifle season, but I might wait till flintlock season, that's always fun.
Ground some up and have a cheese stuffed meatloaf in the smoker as I type. Should be done in an hour if anyone is nearby.....

Cheers!

Nice buck! I've heard PA has good deer hunting too.

RogueTS1

How far out west are you willing to go?
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

KEN AR

Well I'm to the North East of Rick here in the Phoenix valley.  It is very dry this year so lot's of brown this fall.

Here are a few shots from my side of town.  Hard to get lost at the local Gun Club! That 52' tall sign was a boy scout Eagle project way back when the mail was first being delivered by airplanes.  Antique GPS!
Ken AZ is now KEN AR, moved in 2021 to the Natural State
Black Widow MAG/LR, Mini Master, Mini 1 5/8" Mag/LR
Desert Gun Leather holsters
https://desertgunleather.com/
RevisionCV.com Grips