Opinions on 22 mag defense ammo??

Started by se3388, October-19-20 14:10

Previous topic - Next topic

se3388

Sometimes I slip my 22 mag mini in my pocket for a run to the mailbox or the local country store and was wondering what is considered a good defense ammo for 2 and 4 legged varmints?
Right now I'm carry CCI TNT Green Hollow Point Lead-Free 30 grain bullet, I'm wondering if this bullet might be too expansive to get a lot of penetration, maybe CCI .22 Mag GamePoint 40-grain Jacketed Soft Point would be a better round to carry.

Steve.........
NRA Patron Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member

gadget

My choice is Speer gold dots or Hornady critical defense. Both are for short barrel hand guns. In my Black Widow, I find the Speer a little more accurate.

Boisesteve

Read:
https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/the-best-22lr-and-22-magnum-ammo-for-concealed-carry/

I think CCI has the most reliable rimfire priming, but which CCI round I carry has changed. I want it to penetrate; I'm not expecting a 22mag round to mushroom with lots of 'stopping power'.  I useta carry their 30gr plastic point ultra high speed round because my chrono said it had the most energy by a bit. But now I carry their 40gr jacketed flat nose round. I want it to go in deep through tissue.
YMMV.  Steve in Boise

Canoeal

Speer Gold Dots. Why? They work; do what they claim and go BANG every time.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

grayelky

I view Gold Dots and Critical Defense as almost equal. The Critical Defense has a very slight edge in penetration, and for that I give it a slight edge, and prefer to carry it.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Wumbey Goomba

I've practiced.

josp

Currently have the Winchester lead free 28 grain varmint round in the 1 1/8" mag, and CCI 40 grain HP in the mini master.
Why? well, it's what I could find locally, the the Winchester stuff is darn accurate. I also feel the round will perform well in a close encounter facial application.
Lets hope I don't have to find out.

barrytheprof

I can't remember where I got this chart, but because of it I have been loading the 2" BW with Hornady CD and the 1_1/8 with CCI 40gr fmj. That way they both have good penetration and the 2" expands reliably.

se3388

barrytheprof

Thanks for finding the chart, that helps a lot. While not complete it does provide that data for some of the popular loads. It looks like I am going to have to find a new carry load an the one I am carrying is one of the shallowest penetrating loads listed, only around 8 inches.

Steve...........
NRA Patron Life Member

barrytheprof

bbgun

I use a Gold Dot in one cylinder a Critical D in another and CCI in another, etc.  Just in case.  :)

se3388

Now the real problem is finding Mag ammo, most places seem to be back ordered on most of the deeper penetrating rounds.

Steve........
NRA Patron Life Member

Boisesteve

Great idea BBGun, and that leaves one chamber for snake shot and the last for 50gr Winchester... if you can find any 22mag at all! 😆
PS one of my very first posts on this forum was the result of testing a bunch of different brands and loads through my chrono. That was how I settled on CCI; ALL the other makers, especially Win, all had rounds that didn't go bang. Every CCI round fired. Again, ymmv.
Steve in Boise

Boisesteve

ProfBarry,
It was here:
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2020/6/17/the-22-magnum-good-for-self-defense/

(Another worthy resource, when ammo comes back on the shelves)
Stay well all, Steve in Boise

Canoeal

I received a shipment of 22 mag yesterday. $13.99 a box. Ammo is available if you look for it. It was only 200 rounds to keep stock up after a range day.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Canoeal

Once upon a time I saved that chart, as the article was getting old. Since they reproduced the article, it is easier to find. For your information, the 1" gun was Mann's pug, the 1.8 was his Ruger...Not sure what the 4.6 " was...

bleak_window

I had a fail-to-fire with 2 of the Hornady Critical Defense, so I stuck with Gold Dots and they have been perfect.  Now I order them by the case and don't bother with any other .22 WMR ammo. 

Canoeal

Quote from: bleak_window on October-21-20 15:10
I had a fail-to-fire with 2 of the Hornady Critical Defense, so I stuck with Gold Dots and they have been perfect.  Now I order them by the case and don't bother with any other .22 WMR ammo.

Works for me and my handguns. Now my Henry is another matter... It likes CCI 40 grain Gamepoints.

Texduk3

nice pix of your hammer guns   8)
"God and Guns"
"Lets Go Brandon"

UTShooter

I have Speer Gold Dot because it is my duty carry, I trust Speer. I'm glad it was in stock when I needed to order some.

copfish

Thank you for the great information!  I usually have birdshot as the first round out as prairie rattlers are pretty prevalent.
Retired lawdog and wildland  firefighter.

Texron

A chart I find on you tube showed out of a one inch barrel Speer Gold Dots penatrated the most and even had some expansion.  It was followed closely by Hornady 45g Critical Defense and then Winchester 30g. I carry Speer Gold Dots in my NAA guns.