New Black Widow owner

Started by Terry treefish, January-13-21 13:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry treefish

I asked the question in an earlier topic, "Which Mini to buy?"  After much thought, distress, & agony on high, I chose the Black Widow magnum. 

Unexpectedly, I took delivery today.  After cleaning & oiling, reading the instructions, & firing 10 Speer Red Dots, I am a happy camper.  "I can hit the side of a barn.  Yeh me."  Feels so good in the hand.  Fits perfect.

The most difficult thing to learn was taking the cylinder out, and installing back properly.  But now I have the hang of it.  Also, finding the safety notches. 

Love the sights with the white dots.  The grip.  Love it.  I am "feeling" this little revolver.

Thanks to all who offered their 2 cents, to help me make the right decision. 

pietro

Congrats !  Ya gotta love it, when a plan comes together !   :D

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

Boisesteve

Excellent, Terry.  Best of luck with it!
And if I can pitch in one more cent of advice, repeat practice of how to put the cylinder base pin in and place the hammer in the safety notch is not a wasted activity. Never fumble or rush as you control that hammer. Seems obvious, but maybe not.
Steve in Boise

postalman

Terry-
Remember, paraphrasing Uncle_Lee, " Without pics, it didn't happen" so we're looking forward to seeing your new toy!
"Let the gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."- Thomas Jefferson

Terry treefish

I've tried to post a photo.  I always get a message reading, "File is too large."  It's just one iddy biddy pic.   I posted a pic in the past, so I don't know how to fix the problem. 

I did it!!!  🎉✌️See below.   Well, my wife did it.

Terry treefish

My new Black Widow magnum

Uncle_Lee

Beautiful there Terry.
Thank You for sharing.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

gadget

Beautiful. Keep an eye on the black widow emblem on the grip. They have a tendency to fall out. Both of mine did. A little Crazy Glue if Goop works great. Mine have stayed in for years.

Terry treefish

Thanks to all.  I really like the feel of this little gun.  I've shot it 10 times, and hit the "side of the barn" all ten.  My target, a cardboard box, was big enough to hardly miss.  Pulling the hammer back was rough on my thumb.  Gotta figure out a plan, maybe use my left thumb.  But it's all good.

Steve, I don't mind you giving me advice.  Very much appreciated.  I'm planning to take an hour or so  this morning & work on just that.   Even though I own guns  & X military, I know dip-do do. I may have just fell off a " Turnip truck." Fiddling around with the new gun yesterday, I am fast to admit I was a bit uneasy.   The thing I am most uneasy about is locking it into the safety notch. 

barrytheprof

I spent a few months taking the cylinder out and putting it back in while watching TV. I can now do it quickly and easily, getting the hammer in the safety slot, even in the dark.
Practice, practice, practice.
I bought an extra mag cylinder and had it timed to the black widow so that I could reload by replacing the cylinder with a preloaded one. It's a pretty fast operation.

Terry treefish

Quote from: barrytheprof on January-14-21 08:01
I spent a few months taking the cylinder out and putting it back in while watching TV. I can now do it quickly and easily, getting the hammer in the safety slot, even in the dark.
Practice, practice, practice.
I bought an extra mag cylinder and had it timed to the black widow so that I could reload by replacing the cylinder with a preloaded one. It's a pretty fast operation.

Yep.  Practice practice practice.

pietro

Quote from: Terry treefish on January-14-21 07:01

Pulling the hammer back was rough on my thumb. 

Gotta figure out a plan, maybe use my left thumb.

FWIW, Here's mine, and how I shoot it:

top dog

Terry,
I am glad that you are happy with your decision.

Same here about the emblem. After I crazy glued mine back in place,it is there to stay.

My BW is with me every waking hour of the day.  Totally satisfied with it.

Top Dog

Terry treefish

Pieter, thanks for posting the pics of your method.  Pics speak volumes.  Nice gun.

barrytheprof

I've been cocking the hammer and gently releasing it (without the cylinder) quite a bit and I think the main spring is easing up. Either that or I'm building a thumb of steel.
My minimag short seems a lot easier to cock.

Terry treefish

Quote from: Terry treefish on January-14-21 11:01
Pieter, thanks for posting the pics of your method.  Pics speak volumes.  Nice gun.

With me, it's not so much the difficulty of pulling the hammer back.  It's the grain or slip proof hammer.  My first 10 shots I put a large bandaid on my thumb.  It worked.

barrytheprof

I woke up in the middle of the night thinking, "Heat shrink tubing." Slip a piece of the tubing over the hammer and  heat it up with a hair dryer, it'll be a perfect fit. And you can slit it and remove it if you don't like it.

back to sleep . . .

Terry treefish

Quote from: barrytheprof on January-16-21 02:01
I woke up in the middle of the night thinking, "Heat shrink tubing." Slip a piece of the tubing over the hammer and  heat it up with a hair dryer, it'll be a perfect fit. And you can slit it and remove it if you don't like it.

back to sleep . . .

Hey, great idea.  The middle of the night, after 3-4 hrs rest, makes for some brilliant pondering.

Terry treefish

Until my hammer thumb toughens, here is my temporary fix.  Works splendidly.

postalman

Another solution- I used a vacuum line cap. Works great.
"Let the gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."- Thomas Jefferson

Terry treefish

Thanks,  like it.  When I order one or more, is there a certain size # ?  In the net, they seem to sell variety packs.  This seems to make more long term sense.

I love the grips on your gun (Black Widow?).  Absolutely awesome.

postalman

Don't know the size right off hand. I bought the variety pack at an auto parts store.

The grips on my BW are CVangs. His website is www.revisioncv.com. These grips are the choice of many on this forum.

Terry treefish

Thanks.  I'll have to buy a variety pack.  I'm sure I'll find a use.

Personally, I love the grips on my new BW.  So comfortable & the fit is perfect.  I'll leave um be for at least a while.

Terry treefish

Postal man, sorry for dwelling on this probably to long, but.

On Amazon there is a variety pack for $8 free shipping prime.  Question:  Did the cap you used fit perfect, or did you have to heat the rubber, as someone else suggested previously?

postalman

Found one that fit nice and snug.

Terry treefish

Quote from: Postalman on January-16-21 09:01
Found one that fit nice and snug.

Well, I figured your ideal was much better than mine, so I was able to find a small pack on Amazon, for $4.99, with Prime free shipping.  Be here Tuesday.  Amazing.  I may leave the gauze on & fit the cap over it.  Gonna do the same with my other revolver. 

I guess some would consider me a wimp.  But hey, I no wimp.  Arthritis & playing strings for so many years has taken a toll on my fingers.  I am quite sure I'm not alone concerning this problem. 

pietro

Yep - no more snapping your fingers for a waiter... ;)

Terry treefish

Quote from: pietro on January-16-21 13:01

Yep - no more snapping your fingers for a waiter... ;)

.  Funny........and Amen.

barrytheprof

Yeah, my wife hates when I do that!

barrytheprof

Especially when we're home. :)

Terry treefish

Quote from: barrytheprof on January-16-21 14:01
Especially when we're home. :)

🎉😊Now that was funny.  Kinda Bob Newhart funny.

Terry treefish

New owner BW update:  love it.  I've shot 25 shells without a misfire.  I'm more accurate than I thought I would be with this little gun, and I don't consider myself a good shot, just kinda sorta mediocre to good. 

I found the hammer to be a booger, but I have a remedy that is working fine.  The da trigger pull is very manageable.  But I like sa the best.

MY Mini is beastly built, a clear 10.  Yay to NAA.   Same quality as my Guardian 32acp. 

I've carried the BW for the last 4 days.  It's like a secret weapon.
All in all, I'm glad I chose a Black Widow.  Just an absolutely wonderful little gun to own.

Cheers to all!!🎉👍

Wumbey Goomba

Congrats, your just testimonian to
what we all new. Enjoy it. :)
You can't go wrong with a Black Widow.
Only thing better is having two.

ikoiko

Quote from: Terry treefish on January-19-21 14:01
New owner BW update:  love it.  I’ve shot 25 shells without a misfire.  I’m more accurate than I thought I would be with this little gun, and I don’t consider myself a good shot, just kinda sorta mediocre to good. 

I found the hammer to be a booger, but I have a remedy that is working fine.  The da trigger pull is very manageable.  But I like sa the best.

MY Mini is beastly built, a clear 10.  Yay to NAA.   Same quality as my Guardian 32acp. 

I’ve carried the BW for the last 4 days.  It’s like a secret weapon.
All in all, I’m glad I chose a Black Widow.  Just an absolutely wonderful little gun to own.

Cheers to all!!

Forgive my ignorance, but what da (double action) trigger pull?  It’s the same as a rock.

Terry treefish

Quote from: ikoiko on January-20-21 06:01
Quote from: Terry treefish on January-19-21 14:01
New owner BW update:  love it.  I've shot 25 shells without a misfire.  I'm more accurate than I thought I would be with this little gun, and I don't consider myself a good shot, just kinda sorta mediocre to good. 

I've carried the BW for the last 4 days.  It's like a secret weapon.
All in all, I'm glad I chose a Black Widow.  Just an absolutely wonderful little gun to own.

Cheers to all!!

Forgive my ignorance, but what da (double action) trigger pull?  It's the same as a rock.

"Ah ha, you very smart person, indeed."  I stuck the "DA" in my post, just to see if anyone would notice.