Finally! (Got it!)

Started by woodchuckssuck, November-13-10 16:11

Previous topic - Next topic

woodchuckssuck

Well, last Friday I happened to come across a nice NAA Mini Mag Convertible at a gunshop I have been to, a total of 4 times now...  So I purchased it and took the paperwork to the County Clerk's office to get everything sent in for a permit amendment. That has never taken me more than 3 business days. Every day this week I checked the mailbox: nothing

Today I check the mailbox: Permit! Gunshop is open today, so away I went to pick it up!  

Love the little gun so far, it was a little dirty, how much ammo does NAA shoot through them? It was sold as new, and I have no reason to believe it isn't new but the barrel and both cylinders needed a pass with the bore snake, the barrel I took a brush too as it looked a bit more fouled. There is no wear anywhere so I was thinking maybe NAA tests all 5 chambers?  

I will get to shoot it tomorrow, have to get out and pick up crickets for brother's frog anyway, I have 2 boxes of .22mag and an endless (almost) supply of .22lr. Can't wait

rjtravel

Permit?  To buy or own a handgun?  Are you in the USA?  Russia?  I've never heard of such a thing.  Perhaps I'm spoiled - lived in the west & northwest most of my life.  I have a CCW and can carry as many undescribed handguns as I want...simultaneously.  When I buy I exchange cash for gun.  Simple.

redhawk4

"and an endless (almost) supply of .22lr"

With the more leisurely and gentlemanly loading on the Minis, that should keep you out of mischief for a while.

Congrats on your new purchase.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

woodchuckssuck

I live in NY state (upstate), and outside of NYC you must have a permit (license if you will) to be in possession of a handgun. NYC handgun permits are near impossible to get, so I have heard...and, I can't carry in NYC, which is yet another reason I will NEVER visit. Some counties it takes months to get your original permit, It took 2 weeks for my original, most amendments have been 2 days - a week or so. In my county, for now, I get a paper permit for EVERY gun. From what I have heard/been told at the County Clerk's office, they are working on a plastic card that holds all the info for all your pistols: less crap to carry around, and easy for a law officer to check if its still good. We also have the "luxury" of not having to renew permits, they are good for life, and hope they stay that way.  

Yes, the .22lr is plentiful in my house. I have a few .22lr chambered firearms The Mini is a LOT faster to load than a cap and ball revolver ;)

scrounger

Whew!  New York seems to be rough on legal firearm ownership.  Glad I live in Texas where a resident can go handgun shopping and buy as many at one time as they can afford.

Uncle_Lee

True, you can buy as many as you can afford.

BUT

If two or more hand guns are bought within 5 business days, the dealer must fill out a multiple handgun purchase form.

Federal Law.

That is why I wait 8 full days between picking up my guns. That is why I didn't pick up both "Rangers" at the same time.

Check here and go down to the instructions:

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-3310-4.pdf">http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-3310-4.pdf

If it is not being done, then the dealer can be in DEEP doo doo.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

rjtravel

Oh for the long-gone days when you could go into a grocery store or any Sears/Wards with cash, and walk out 2 minutes later with your firearm.  No ID.  No paperwork.  No cameras.  No questions.  I still have at least one firearm I bought from Sears approx 1959 in such a manner.  It has no serial number - was not then required.  Sigh.

Richard

woodchuckssuck

and...back on topic...  

I am going to stop at the range today and send a bunch of ammo through the Mini See how well she shoots for me. I ordered a leather pocket holster from NAA, I like how theirs look, and more so the price. I tried just dropping the gun in my pocket, but I don't like how it sits as is, so I decided a pocket holster would be best. I can always sew on a belt loop or clip and make it an IWB holster, too.  

Will post update on how it shot for me

Uncle_Lee

In every new NAA that I have bought the barrel has been so dirty that there is no visible lands and grooves. Looks like they shoot a couple of boxes through each of them.  

If I receive a clean one then I know that it has been used.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

woodchuckssuck

Shot it yesterday. LR did fine, Mag had some cylinder pin pop out problems. Read other post Cylinder pin is already on its way to NAA for replacement.  

Yes, it was dirty when I bought it. I cleaned it before shooting it, the rifling, although shallow compared to most of my .22's, is sharp and pronounced.  

A few (3 or 4 out of 75 rounds) keyholed. The rest were crisp .22 holes, like any of my rifles put out.  

Now its out of commission till NAA sends me a new Cylinder Pin. I hope I got one of the "bad lots" I have read about and a new pin fixes it.  

Also waiting on the leather pocket holster I ordered from them...