Federal .22 LR Self-Defense Ammo?

Started by Gun1, October-03-21 00:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Gun1

I found a new line of ammo from Federal that claims to be engineered specifically for self-defense and it's .22LR. Has anybody tried it yet?
Here's the link:
https://www.federalpremium.com/rimfire/personal-defense-punch-rimfire/11-PD22L1.html

grayelky

First I heard of it was from a post here on the forum. Still have not found any available. Your post is the second time I have heard of it.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Bj

I got it twice, most recent was directly from Federal.  My Ruger LCP .22 LR seems a little fussy for some ammo especially if it is not 40 grain high velocity CCI or Federal.  It does not seem to like CCI Velocitor or Stinger which is what I wanted to use in it. But the newer Federal punch works great in it, probably better than anything else.  I think anything works great in NAA minis, but I wouldn?t use the stuff NAA says to not use.  I don?t remember trying the Federal Punch in an NAA yet.

Gun1

Quote from: Bj on October-03-21 05:10
I got it twice, most recent was directly from Federal.  My Ruger LCP .22 LR seems a little fussy for some ammo especially if it is not 40 grain high velocity CCI or Federal.  It does not seem to like CCI Velocitor or Stinger which is what I wanted to use in it. But the newer Federal punch works great in it, probably better than anything else.  I think anything works great in NAA minis, but I wouldn?t use the stuff NAA says to not use.  I don?t remember trying the Federal Punch in an NAA yet.
But as far as damage to the target, did you notice any difference between the Federal Punch and other .22LR such as CCI?

Wumbey Goomba

How about Winchester SilverTip?
I picked up a box of it, at the last
Gun show. 22lr, 37 gr. Segmenting HP.
Optimized for Handguns.

Probably not new, but new to me.
Advertised 1060 FPS out of 3 1/2 barrel.

I shot a few out of my 1 1/8 mini, seemed a
tiny bit hotter than CCI Hi-Velocity.

Bj

There are some reviews of 22 Federal Punch on YouTube, like by 22plinkster and Paul Harrell.

shanep0017

I know of it but have yet to find it anywhere, I did try the Winchester Silvertip 22 defense rounds in my NAA but they didn't seem to be great quality compared to the CCI Mini Mags I had. They shot just fine no failures out of the box of 50 but most of em would spin around in the case so I definitely wouldn't  trust em for defensive purposes. I like the Mini Mags alot but I've heard great things about the Federal Punch and they looked great on some YouTube reviews so I want to test them in my Mini as soon as I can find some.

shanep0017

Oooh....I don't know if it'd be worth it at those prices, $22 for a 50 box? I got the Silvertips for under $10 so I'm sure the Federals would be around $10 in a local store. I think I'll hold off til I find em locally.

Nonseven

I picked up a brick of it after it came into stock at Midway USA.  Now out of stock there, but still available at Federal direct.

Fired it for the first time yesterday in an NAA-22LR.  Worked great.   I think the higher velocity from the somewhat lighter bullet but yet a solid point and a flat nose, seems ideal for the mini revolvers. 

shanep0017

There's a ballistics video on YouTube I saw that had great results but I think it was from a regular snub nose like a Smith. But yeah I agree with that assessment, I'll probably switch to the Federal when I'm able to. They're my preference for all my other defense rounds anyway.

Nonseven

I really like the nickel-plated, flat nose bullet design of these Federal rounds.

mizlplix

It varies with shipping patterns, but:
https://federalammostore.com/personal-defense-punch-rimfire-22-lr/         In stock $10.99   10/17/21
https://cassieammo.com/index.php/product/personal-defense-rimfire-22lr/  in stock $10.99 10/17/21

I have a die that you use to FP any type of .22LR ammo.  Used it for years.  You can hear the impact difference. Plus holes in game are sharp edged better.
If you just file down a regular RN  and shoot on paper , the holes do look different.  The tears around the edges are shorter.