LR vs Mag, help me decide!

Started by Tascofeldman, November-22-12 22:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Tascofeldman

Hello to all! New member here looking to buy my first NAA. My question(s) : 22 lr vs mag. I know that this round is a far cry from a "proper" defensive round but @ get off me distance is the mag all that superior? I'm trying to choose between a convertible which would exclusively run a lr cylinder or a dedicated lr mini. Is the convertible worth the extra expense based on this? The weight does not seem to be a factor at mere ounces. The ammo choices for "defensive" lr don't seem to exist like that for the mag. What ammo would be suggested for a lr? Am I wrong in thinking hollow points would be less effective than solids? Appreciate all the opinions an advice. Just want my first one to lead me down the road of obsession, not disappointment.
P.S. @ 1/2" is the 1-1/8" less accurate at defensive distances than the 1-5/8"? The shorter barrel just looks more "proportional" to me if not that important to its overall performance.

tocsn40

You have found the can of worms so to speak. The answers to your questions will very greatly on who give you a answer. I believe that the conv. Is the way to go. But i have 4 of the little mini's and keep dreaming of more.  I also think that it you could find a place to teat fire them before you buy you would want them all or at least i do. 
Bottom line buy what you can. And save for for your next one JM2C
Tocsn40

keith44

Hello tascofeldman,
I'm really curious why you are wanting the LR or a convertible that you will only shoot in LR configuration.  Other than being quieter than the magnum, and having slightly less recoil (not that I consider either to have any kick) the LR just does not seem to have any benefits over the magnum when used in a magnum framed gun with a conversion cylinder.  Earlier this year I was looking at my first mini purchase.  I chose the convertible model with the 1 5/8 barrel.  When I'm just plinking I sometimes use the LR cylinder, but 99% of the time I keep the magnum cylinder in it, and shoot more magnums than LR.  As for ammo selection, solid point (or round nose) would tend to penetrate deeper, where the hollow points (assuming they will open) will tend to not penetrate as deeply.  The magnum 22's seem to have the velocity advantage, which should make them a better choice for defensive purposes.

45flint

For carry magnum is superior.  I wanted to know that sure, and did a simple experiment, took a 3 inch LR and a 1 5/8 mag.  Shoot into a pine board thinking the extra barrel length would make the LR competitive.  Not even close the mag penetrated far more.  So for me mag for carry really only logical choice.   That said shooting the mag to me is not pleasant, I pleasure shot with LR or even shorts.  Thus for me the convertible is a must.  It is why the Sidewinder is so attractive to me.  With the BreakTop I am mag only. 

Tascofeldman

Thinking lr simply because I have plenty of 22 lr already. Lower expense to shoot and practice with. Not recoil sensitive or anything like that. Also more concerned of muzzle flash with this size gun. Seems like it might be a little more dangerous to oneself in a defensive situation. Sounds like the consensus so far is mag though. Thanks!

heyjoe

i have a convertible. it is the best of both worlds. practice or plink more with lr, carry magnum.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

bbgun

Heyjoe is right.  Get both cylinders.  You'll be happy :)

bleak_window

IMO, .22 LR can be a useful self defense round.  The real issue with the LR mini is the size of the frame and grip.  There is a world of difference in the potential accuracy of these minis if you can get a reliable grip on them.  For many people, a grip change is warranted even with the magnum frame.  Try to get some real-world experience firing both frame sizes, or at least holding them.  I do prefer the magnum frame both for the size and the extra power of the Mag ammo.

FrRichard

God bless,
Fr. Richard

Zatx

Having just recently bought the .22LR model, I would go with the Magnum.  There are much more accessories out there for the Magnum than for the .22LR i.e. grips, holsters, etc.  I don't think the slight size difference will make all that much of a difference in your pocket.

Think I'm going to sell my .22LR version to my brother and buy a pug.

grayelky

I carry in my right front pocket, and cannot tell the difference if I have a 1 1/8 barrel or a 1 5/8 barreled gun. It is much more economically feasible to buy a convertible than it is to send a mag back for the conversion cylinder. I have several mag/LR guns, and I have never fired a LR round through one. If you plan on plinking, by all means get both. As far as carrying the LR simply because you have a lot of LR ammo, break down and buy 2 boxes of mag, and carry it.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

pioneer

It's my belief that magnum ammo will give better performance in a defensive situation than lr.  All things being equal, any caliber shot through a short barrel will lose pressure & velocity, but if you have more to begin with (magnum) you will wind up with more down range (mag.).  I own a Mini revolver with cylinders for both.  LR for plinking or just plain fun, and magnum with serious expanding ammo for "Get the f--- off of me" purposes. 
Retired police detective
US Navy Veteran
Life Member NRA / SAF
United States Constitution c. 1791, all rights reserved.

AZsnipe

The 22WMR is a better choice for a defensive round.
If you decide to go with the 22lr, then look at CCI STINGERS as the round to carry.  They are the fastest 22lr currently in production (unless someone has come out with something I haven't heard about).  They will, at least give you the velocity edge.  Still not nearly as effective as the slowest 22WMR rounds.

Snipe

Kevin

I would say the choice depends upon how much concealment you need. For a defensive handgun, the logical choice is to carry the most powerful weapon you can. If you could successfully shoot and carry a S&W .44 Magnum concealed, you would be crazy to pack a NAA revolver instead. However, there are many people who, due to the nature of their body type and clothing choices dictated by circumstances, cannot carry a very large firearm concealed.

I own both a .22LR mini with a 1 1/8" barrel and a .22Mag with a 1 5/8" barrel.

The LR will fit in a work shirt pocket and, with something flat in front of it (such as a thin notepad or business card case) to keep the cylinder from "printing", is very concealable. I can pretty well conceal it in my fist. The .22 Mag makes too big a bulge in my shirt pocket, but will fit in my pants pocket just fine. It is too big for me to conceal in my fist.

The LR has the advantage of much cheaper ammo. Due to it's small size, it is slower for me to make follow-up shots with. The Magnum handles much better for me. The small increase in frame and grip size over the LR makes a big difference to me in control when shooting it.

top dog

If at all possible,I would suggest that you go with the 1 5/8" bbl magnum with the 22lr spare cylinder.
I find that gun is quite accurate at 15-20 ft with both magnum or 22lr ammo. I presently use CCI V-Max polymer tipped 30 grain ammo.

There is a significant increase in power with the 22 magnum and if worse comes to worse,the expanding gasses at contact distance is a difinite plus.

I did an experiment at my department's range a few years ago. I fired a 22 mag from the mini at contact distance at a plastic milk jug filled with warm water. The results were awsome,the jug was shattered and the bullet was in a perfect mushroom.

What ever your choice is,you will be more than happy with your new mini.

Top Dog

Moderndayedison

I know that I have been very pleased with my purchase
of my Black Widow Conversion, mainly because I can shoot
shorts and LR with the LR cylinder, and WMR or Magnum
rounds with the Magnum cylinder.  Essencially it allows
me to shoot just about all ammo made in .22 caliber.

(I say that because I haven't found any .22 rounds)
(that I haven't been able to shoot out of it yet.)

Some ammo brands or their variations seem to be better
or more accurate than others, some loads seem to be hotter
than others, and some seem like they are only relying on the
primer to fire the bullet without any gun powder at all.

For defense I like the LR and WMR versions of the #12 bird shot.
It's allot like shooting buckshot out of a .22 pistol and it is cool
as heck out of a Black Widow whether it's LR or Magnum.
(For close range "get off me" type defense use.)

For longer range accuracy I like the LR Remington Hyper Velocity
Viper rounds...   they have a light wax like coating on them and
they are extremely accurate being shot out of my Black Widow.
(I can hit what I am aiming at with it.)

Being happy with my Black Widow...   I am curious about the
Mini Master Conversion and it's longer barrel, as well as the
variety of grips that fit these small interesting pistols.

What I like about NAA is that they keep things interesting.
And they make a very practical line of small desirable pistols.
I guess you could call me a satisfied customer that would not
mind returning to NAA for repeat business, when I can afford
to do so in the future.  If I can afford to do so in the future.

The recession seems to be effecting some more than others.
I think it is sad what happened in Connecticut the other day.
But the guns are not to blame for that happening, it was the
act of a frustrated young man with deep issues that snapped.

Guns can be used to defend and protect as well as do harm.
Law enforcement has proved this decade after decade.
Banning firearms only disarms law biding citizens and
makes them an easier mark for criminals and whack jobs.

Rational mature people don't just walk into public places
and start shooting people for no apparent reason. I am sure
there is more to this situation than meets the eye.

-MDE

And Boom......There it was!!!!
https://www.gofundme.com/Carls-Shop

TeeJay37

Hi,
I'm new here and plan on buying a Black Widow in the next few weeks. This topic seemed like a good one to break the ice.

I know you said that you want the lr because you already have a lot of it, but you also said you want it for defense. I would say that the mag is a lot better than the lr for penetration. Plus, it seems that the lr grip is very small and that the larger magnum would be easier to control with lrs, but I'm not sure about the mags. I would think that the conversion would be worth it, unless your money is too tight. If you decid all you want is the lr, you could go with the pug or Black Widow lr. I believe both of those are built on the magnum frame. If you want the classic style but with the magnum frame, you could probably ask NAA and they can get you a magnum with lr cylinder only. I recently emailed them about a semi-custom Black Widow and they were very accommodating.